• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2020 2:01 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5436 posts
1841 upvotes

The one usb c cable that I need for charging and data transfer

Is usbc cables that are capable of doing higher than 4k resolution capable of transferring data computer data at faster rates as well? Like usb 3.1 vs usb 2?

Are they rated for high power transfer as well?

I am looking for something that can transfer data fast and charge fast. Does such a thing exist? How do I test if my cables are capable of that?
14 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19318 posts
981 upvotes
based on my understanding, data transfer and charging are travelling thru separate wires. PD / 3A / 5A charging cables tend to have high gauge power wires. They don't heat up as quick under high(er) current and/or voltage comparing to the lower grade cheapo cables.

If you are looking for cables that "charge faster", you may want to pay attention to that.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1888 posts
160 upvotes
Markham, ON
I'm not familiar with the technical specifics, but I can tell you anecdotally my original Apple USB-C cable charges faster and transfers data than the 2 different USB C cables I purchased on amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7216 posts
3534 upvotes
Alberta
Depends on the cables you bought. I buy the Anker Powerline II cables and don't notice any difference in charge/data speed.
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5436 posts
1841 upvotes
Yes, but I want to buy a cable that is optimized for both data transfer and charge speed so I don't have to carry around multiples. For example 100w+ and usb3.1+. My bf has like 6-7 cables hanging around on every plugin and it lies on the floor and it just drives me nuts not in the good way.
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5436 posts
1841 upvotes
EnyCe wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0718Z1MWF/ref ... EEbCJA1XHF

Look for cables that are IF certified. That last thing you want is a fire. Cables with an E marker are a plus.
I did some research and it seems that thunderbolt cables are even better? However the cost is 50% more. Is it worth the cost or is there diminishing returns? I just want a cable that will last a long time.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3260 posts
645 upvotes
Markham, ON
vivibaby wrote: I did some research and it seems that thunderbolt cables are even better? However the cost is 50% more. Is it worth the cost or is there diminishing returns? I just want a cable that will last a long time.
Thunderbolt is just a made up name Apple gave it's cable, the official term is USB Type C. The link I referenced is able to charge at equivalent laptop speeds.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13248 posts
4349 upvotes
Ottawa
vivibaby wrote: Is usbc cables that are capable of doing higher than 4k resolution capable of transferring data computer data at faster rates as well? Like usb 3.1 vs usb 2?

Are they rated for high power transfer as well?

I am looking for something that can transfer data fast and charge fast. Does such a thing exist? How do I test if my cables are capable of that?
USB-C is capable of up to 10Gbps and 100W.

You want to make sure you buy a cable that's certified for USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 for max data transfer speed.

https://www.elinfor.com/market/how-to-i ... maker-m-27

e-marker cables are necessary to achieve the full capability supported by USB-C PD.

E-Marker%20chip%20in%20the%20cable.png

Look for cables that support 100W charging.

To get fast charging, you need a charger that support USB-C PD., preferably one that has the latest PD 3.0
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15064 posts
6122 upvotes
OP your beloved iPad Pro will probably come with one in the box.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5436 posts
1841 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: USB-C is capable of up to 10Gbps and 100W.

You want to make sure you buy a cable that's certified for USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 for max data transfer speed.

https://www.elinfor.com/market/how-to-i ... maker-m-27

e-marker cables are necessary to achieve the full capability supported by USB-C PD.

E-Marker%20chip%20in%20the%20cable.png

Look for cables that support 100W charging.

To get fast charging, you need a charger that support USB-C PD., preferably one that has the latest PD 3.0
I thought thunderbolt is capable of 40gbps whereas USBC is only 10?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13248 posts
4349 upvotes
Ottawa
vivibaby wrote: I thought thunderbolt is capable of 40gbps whereas USBC is only 10?
Correct.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5436 posts
1841 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: Correct.
Ahh ok, I was just confused because an incorrect comment was upvoted.
Aug 28, 2005
355 posts
80 upvotes
EnyCe wrote: Thunderbolt is just a made up name Apple gave it's cable, the official term is USB Type C. The link I referenced is able to charge at equivalent laptop speeds.
To be clear, Thunderbolt 3 uses the USB Type-C connector, but Thunderbolt devices are different from USB devices, so I'd still say Thunderbolt is still its own thing different from USB and not just Apple/Intel's rebranding of USB-C. It's also an Intel-developed standard and increasingly more Windows devices are coming with Thunderbolt 3 ports now too, so it's not just an Apple thing.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3260 posts
645 upvotes
Markham, ON
rcxAsh wrote: To be clear, Thunderbolt 3 uses the USB Type-C connector, but Thunderbolt devices are different from USB devices, so I'd still say Thunderbolt is still its own thing different from USB and not just Apple/Intel's rebranding of USB-C. It's also an Intel-developed standard and increasingly more Windows devices are coming with Thunderbolt 3 ports now too, so it's not just an Apple thing.
Agreed, thanks for clarifying.