• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2019 3:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
231 posts
62 upvotes

one vent blowing cool air

so the top floor of my townhouse .. 2 vents are blowing hot air but one is cold ....is it likely a leaky duct ?

the air furnace filter is new

if it's a duct issue
.how much to fix roughly ?
5 replies
Nov 14, 2016
157 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
joyceetal wrote: so the top floor of my townhouse .. 2 vents are blowing hot air but one is cold ....is it likely a leaky duct ?

the air furnace filter is new

if it's a duct issue
.how much to fix roughly ?
hmm.... never heard this before. When you say cold air, do you mean cold cold(like when you have AC on?) or not as hot as the other vents? is the air pressure as high as the other 2 vents or is the pressure low?

And are you sure it is not the Air intake vent(usually it would not blow air but suck air)?
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
231 posts
62 upvotes
toradian wrote: hmm.... never heard this before. When you say cold air, do you mean cold cold(like when you have AC on?) or not as hot as the other vents? is the air pressure as high as the other 2 vents or is the pressure low?

And are you sure it is not the Air intake vent(usually it would not blow air but suck air)?

well I wouldnt say super cold but rather cool ...and it's certainly not warm ..its definitely affecting the heating

the intake thing ..I felt like the air was coming up bit I'll test it out when I get home with paper or somethign

does every room have an intake vent ?
Nov 14, 2016
157 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
joyceetal wrote: well I wouldnt say super cold but rather cool ...and it's certainly not warm ..its definitely affecting the heating

the intake thing ..I felt like the air was coming up bit I'll test it out when I get home with paper or somethign

does every room have an intake vent ?
no. every room does not have an intake vent. Typically, every floor in the house would have one intake in the common area.

If the impacted room is above the garage or unheated crawlspace, it could have a bit less hot air compared to others.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6404 posts
2809 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Suggest move to Home & Garden forums.

Could be damper needs to be adjusted.
Ductwork poorly sealed.
Is vent fully open in that room?
Long duct run which can result in lower and cooler air.
Return vent in that room clear/clean?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Dec 4, 2004
716 posts
717 upvotes
GTA
Is it the farthest vent from the furnace? Does the duct run through the attic or in an outside wall? If there was a leak, there would probably be no air coming out of the vent. In your case, it sounds like the air is being cooled before reaching the vent.