Cell Phones

OnePlus Nord10 + Koodo = No Data, not sure what to do next

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 4:21 pm
[OP]
Aug 17, 2021
1 posts

OnePlus Nord10 + Koodo = No Data, not sure what to do next

I've been having issues with my cell phone (OnePlus Nord10) not being able to access data for nearly a month now, and I'm not sure what to ask for at this point.

I confirmed it wasn't the network (Koodo) day one, and then did a lot of troubleshooting. Yesterday I did a remote session with a OnePlus tech and they flashed the phone, which fixed the problem- I was finally able to access data! But then the phone auto-updated in the night and the issue is back.

The phone is under warranty, but it only covers repair and replacement. Koodo says this is a recurring problem with OnePlus, so I don't think a replacement will help because it won't actually repair the problem. And I can't just not update my phone for the 3-4 years I need it to last. (My last OnePlus lasted 5 years!!!)

At this point I've spent 12+ precious hours of energy trying to fix this, and I've paid for a month of data for a phone that can't use it.

What do I ask for from the company? Do I just log into the support chat and ask to escalate? But then escalate to what?

Things I've tried:
  • Putting the Koodo SIM into an old phone - data worked in the old phone
  • Enter Koodo APN x10 - it doesn't save, it just disappears even if I reboot
  • Factory reset x2 - no effect
  • Flashing via OnePlus tech - it did work, but then the phone updated and data doesn't work again
6 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21026 posts
10533 upvotes
Oakville
Find out what they flashed that made it work. Was it just an older update? Is it something that can be flashed permanently?

My guess, based on the timeline, is that something in the latest update is what broke it, and that they just flashed an older version of the software to get it working again. If that's the case, then hopefully you can disable updates until the issue causing your data loss gets fixed (hopefully in the next update).
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1749 posts
449 upvotes
The Oxygen OS 11 update eliminated an APN that was required with Koodo on my Oneplus6T. I manually entered it today, and the mobile network is now fine. It could be the same issue, I'm not sure, but Koodo is aware of Oneplus update issues.

You can try this under Access point names,

Create a new APN, (+ sign top right). I just called mine koodoapn

APN > sp.koodo.com

MMSC > http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc

MMS proxy > mmscproxy.mobilicity.ca

MMS port > 8799

APN type > default,supl,mms (do not space after comma)

MVNO type > GID

MVNO value > 4B4F (should be the default selection)

After you checked proper entries, hit the three dotted line, and select save. Then ensure your new APN is selected (red symbol next to it). Now check if you can go online. I hope it works for you, and anyone else with issues.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21026 posts
10533 upvotes
Oakville
tripwire wrote: The Oxygen OS 11 update eliminated an APN that was required with Koodo on my Oneplus6T. I manually entered it today, and the mobile network is now fine. It could be the same issue, I'm not sure, but Koodo is aware of Oneplus update issues.

You can try this under Access point names,
After you checked proper entries, hit the three dotted line, and select save. Then ensure your new APN is selected (red symbol next to it). Now check if you can go online. I hope it works for you, and anyone else with issues.
Per the OP, they already tried putting in the APN manually and it's not sticking on their phone:
MaiaPapaya wrote: Things I've tried:
  • Putting the Koodo SIM into an old phone - data worked in the old phone
  • Enter Koodo APN x10 - it doesn't save, it just disappears even if I reboot
  • Factory reset x2 - no effect
  • Flashing via OnePlus tech - it did work, but then the phone updated and data doesn't work again
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18636 posts
6033 upvotes
London
Looks like the phone thinks incorrectly that Telus wants access to the APN settings to be disabled (cell providers have the option to do this). Follow the workaround in the oneplus thread to regain access to the menu to add a new apn
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1749 posts
449 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Per the OP, they already tried putting in the APN manually and it's not sticking on their phone:
APN won't save if it's incorrect. Happened to me, until I entered the MVNO, then everything saved.