• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2020 12:48 am
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17261 posts
7116 upvotes
Oakville
KastlerJ061251 wrote: Which config should I get? I'm a little confused
No idea. Lol. Try em out and see which one you like best?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Nov 21, 2017
853 posts
478 upvotes
Surrey BC
rogosteve wrote: Remember boys and girls, our wonderful Canadian carriers block vowifi and volte on these phones. Just a heads up.
Since I don't know wtf vowifi or volte is cuz you aint speaking Engish i'm gonna be fine with that. Just need a phone to replace my iphone 5.
Nov 21, 2017
853 posts
478 upvotes
Surrey BC
wearysky wrote: I literally got my phone an hour ago, won't be setting it up till I'm back on wifi tonight, so I haven't tried it yet. But I've heard good things about gcam's improvements.
whats gcam? sorryy not up to the latest cell phone terms. i stil have an iphone 5.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17261 posts
7116 upvotes
Oakville
flipper316 wrote: whats gcam? sorryy not up to the latest cell phone terms. i stil have an iphone 5.
The stock camera app on OnePlus leaves some people a bit unenthused... But some intrepid developers have modified versions of Google's stock camera app for the Pixel series (hence GCam) to be used with other phones to greatly improve the performance of their cameras. The only thing with using it on the 7 (or 7pro, for that matter) is that you need to be rooted to get access to the auxiliary cameras (wide angle and telephoto). You can still use it just fine with the standard camera and selfie camera, though.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Jun 20, 2017
72 posts
71 upvotes
wearysky wrote: No idea. Lol. Try em out and see which one you like best?
I gotta look into it. Right now I'm still using the OnePlus 7.
Dec 25, 2006
403 posts
273 upvotes
Winnipeg
Received my phone today.....damn is this thing quick! I'm surprised at the difference even from my G8. I'm impressed and happy to have made this purchase.
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Aug 15, 2009
744 posts
482 upvotes
Montreal
flipper316 wrote: Since I don't know wtf vowifi or volte is cuz you aint speaking Engish i'm gonna be fine with that. Just need a phone to replace my iphone 5.
Vowifi = voice over wifi phone is using wifi to make calls
Volte = voice over LTE. Calls gets connected faster, clearer and you can use LTE data at the same time with the call.
Aug 15, 2009
744 posts
482 upvotes
Montreal
Winkle wrote: My OP3 is really showing its age, the battery needs 2 charges to get through the day, it drains really fast... I can leave it on my desk with the screen off for an hour and 10% of the battery power disappears. Also, it's slow as molasses, starting up Google Maps freezes the phone for like 30 seconds and it lags doing simple things like making phone calls.

With that said, it's over 3.5 years old so its coming to the end of its life.
Time you do a factory reset.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2001
1412 posts
127 upvotes
So just got my 7T and here are my personal opinions so far:

- battery drains definitely faster than my 6T.
- much improved fingerprint sensor
- can't say I really notice the improvement in the 90Hz display. Don't get me wrong, it's still smooth af, was just expecting an orgasmic experience.
- strange purple tint on the right side of the screen with dark backgrounds
- speakers are a huge improvement
- need to still play with the camera, but seems ok.
- don't really notice the increase in speed.

Overall, I probably didn't need to upgrade from my 6T.
Last edited by xla4life on Feb 20th, 2020 7:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Aug 17, 2012
388 posts
253 upvotes
COQUITLAM
xla4life wrote: So just got my 7T and here are my personal opinions so far:

- battery drains definitely faster than my 6T.
- can't say I really notice the improvement in the 90Hz display. Don't get me wrong, it's still smooth af, was just expecting an orgasmic experience.
- strange purple tint on the right side of the screen with dark backgrounds
- speakers are a huge improvement
- need to still play with the camera, but seems ok.
- don't really notice the increase in speed.

Overall, I probably didn't need to upgrade from my 6T.

Screenshot_20200219-211415.jpg
I'm getting 9hrs SoT on mine with Wifi/LTE.

Around 19hrs with wifi/LTE off.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2017
72 posts
71 upvotes
So, with the GCam, I went with the pixel4_v.5_urnyx2.2.xml and I can't really tell a difference.

My two buds came yesterday. I tried them out in the gym this morning and it's actually quite recent. Not sure what I'll do with the other one though.
Dec 3, 2007
433 posts
303 upvotes
KastlerJ061251 wrote: So, with the GCam, I went with the pixel4_v.5_urnyx2.2.xml and I can't really tell a difference.

My two buds came yesterday. I tried them out in the gym this morning and it's actually quite recent. Not sure what I'll do with the other one though.
You want to set the Bluetooth codec in your developer settings to aptx HD to take full advantage of the sound of the included headphones. Instructions should be somewhere if needed.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2017
72 posts
71 upvotes
glib wrote: You want to set the Bluetooth codec in your developer settings to aptx HD to take full advantage of the sound of the included headphones. Instructions should be somewhere if needed.
Oops decent* just changed this setting, thanks!
Apr 24, 2011
361 posts
145 upvotes
Scarborough
Winkle wrote: My OP3 is really showing its age, the battery needs 2 charges to get through the day, it drains really fast... I can leave it on my desk with the screen off for an hour and 10% of the battery power disappears. Also, it's slow as molasses, starting up Google Maps freezes the phone for like 30 seconds and it lags doing simple things like making phone calls.

With that said, it's over 3.5 years old so its coming to the end of its life.
That's so weird because I upgraded from my OP3 to a S10 and honestly I was pretty happy with my OP3 but I did notice the S10 was somewhat significantly faster. I recently gave my OP3 to my GF because her phone broke and she has the same experience as you - Spotify, Google maps, switching apps...whatever...they all freeze up the phone and I know 100% that never happened to me before I upgraded. Must be the software updates or Android 10 that's overwhelming the phone or something?? Reminds me of my old Nexus 5 that I absolutely hated because of the constant lag
[OP]
Jun 20, 2017
72 posts
71 upvotes
KastlerJ061251 wrote: Oops decent* just changed this setting, thanks!
I do wish the magnets were a little stronger though. I had the headphones around my neck while driving and my car's bluetooth system was going in and out. I suspect it was alternating between the two