OnePlus Scammers - This company doesn't deserve our bussiness

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 12:09 am
[OP]
May 20, 2020
18 posts
21 upvotes

OnePlus Scammers - This company doesn't deserve our bussiness

OnePlus is doing some crazy things lately.
For ex the last stunt was to advertised 1 pair of Buds for $12.99 which it got sold out within seconds. If a company only has 10 Headsets why bother to advertise it as a big deal.

Crazy times!
Scammers.png
Last edited by Kwdude on Aug 20th, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Jul 9, 2009
441 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver
On paper the phones seem great.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1989 posts
2871 upvotes
Running out of stock does not make a company scammers
[OP]
May 20, 2020
18 posts
21 upvotes
User381785 wrote: Running out of stock does not make a company scammers
If I'd tell you to come to my store at 10:00 AM next Friday to sell you a sealed iPhone 12PRO [80% OFF] and when you come at 10:00AM sharp to pay for it and I'll tell you that it's sold out, What would you tell me, in that instance?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5271 posts
3733 upvotes
Vancouver
This is debatable...

While stuff being sold out quickly is quite normal. The fact you cant even add it to cart to attempt a checkout does make it look shady. I mean it should take a few seconds to check out even if you prefill all your information. Not to mention most inventory system arent real time and have a couple minutes delay. That means even if you couldnt buy it, you should have a chance to add it to cart (just fail to checkout because others beat you to it).
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1989 posts
2871 upvotes
Kwdude wrote: If I'd tell you to come to my store at 10:00 AM next Friday to sell you a sealed iPhone 12PRO [80% OFF] and when you come at 10:00AM sharp to pay for it and I'll tell you that it's sold out, What would you tell me, in that instance?
I'd tell you that others already bought it before you. Let's not make stupid strawmen arguments
[OP]
May 20, 2020
18 posts
21 upvotes
User381785 wrote: I'd tell you that others already bought it before you. Let's not make stupid strawmen arguments
Whatever... you know better!
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13023 posts
8262 upvotes
Markham
It's literally said limited quantities. Just like Best Buy door crash
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2613 upvotes
BC
Kwdude wrote: OnePlus is doing some crazy things lately.
Don't know about you, but I would expect that sort of thing from a company formed by two young guys one of whom was in his mid-20's with a degree in economics.

They are in it to make a bundle of money on phones, not to ensure Kwdude and everyone else gets in on a loss-leader deal for listening devices.

I had never heard of them, but now I know all about Carl Pei and Pete Lau so mission accomplished I guess.
Jan 3, 2017
435 posts
417 upvotes
Kwdude wrote: If I'd tell you to come to my store at 10:00 AM next Friday to sell you a sealed iPhone 12PRO [80% OFF] and when you come at 10:00AM sharp to pay for it and I'll tell you that it's sold out, What would you tell me, in that instance?
Don't know where you've been living the past 30 years but this happens all the time. Pretty typical around boxing week. They are called door crashers. Stores open with very limited quantity of a specific item to create hype and demand and to get you there.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3157 posts
2806 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Boxing Day?
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3185 posts
863 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Then you should have come 1 hour or hours earlier
Last edited by fboybcb on Sep 11th, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16621 posts
5182 upvotes
Toronto
Kwdude wrote: OnePlus is doing some crazy things lately.
For ex the last stunt was to advertised 1 pair of Buds for $12.99 which it got sold out within seconds. If a company only has 10 Headsets why bother to advertise it as a big deal.

Crazy times!

Scammers.png
Maybe they are like best buy, where their 6 pm sales start at 5:58.

Still I gotta wonder how things would be sold out at the start of the sale. I recall Staples having similar issue years ago and only when someone complained to the news did they fix the problem.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29036 posts
14582 upvotes
Paigne wrote: The fact you cant even add it to cart to attempt a checkout does make it look shady.
What's worse? Not being able to add it to your cart or getting your hopes up letting you add it, then failing at checkout when it realizes there's no stock?
I did that with my wok stove. The guy sells like 3 a day and I figured being there at 8AM (online) I would get it. Nope. By the time I added it, checked out, and tried paying all 3 were gone.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5271 posts
3733 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: What's worse? Not being able to add it to your cart or getting your hopes up letting you add it, then failing at checkout when it realizes there's no stock?
I did that with my wok stove. The guy sells like 3 a day and I figured being there at 8AM (online) I would get it. Nope. By the time I added it, checked out, and tried paying all 3 were gone.
Both would be bad but the fact you couldnt add it to cart at the start of the sale suggest either the sale started early (or late) or the fact there really wasnt any stock at all to start with. After all any transaction requires time and the inventory system generally takes a little while update any website.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29036 posts
14582 upvotes
Paigne wrote: Both would be bad but the fact you couldnt add it to cart at the start of the sale suggest either the sale started early (or late)
Unless you clicked on it at exactly when their clock was at 10AM (the server's time which may or may not match whatever time you're using) they could have sold out in the few seconds.
With popular enough products people are using bots to check out faster than any human could.
See: GPUs.

or the fact there really wasnt any stock at all to start with.
As others have said, it was probably only like a few units with hundreds of people clicking.
No different than the 2 TVs during Black Friday for $1 with a thousand people at the door running to it.
After all any transaction requires time and the inventory system generally takes a little while update any website.
A few seconds is plenty enough time for inventory to update. A few seconds is also all that's needed to check out if you're set up for it.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5271 posts
3733 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: Unless you clicked on it at exactly when their clock was at 10AM (the server's time which may or may not match whatever time you're using) they could have sold out in the few seconds.
With popular enough products people are using bots to check out faster than any human could.
See: GPUs.
Most inventory to GUI system aren’t real time so it actually would likely take a minute to update. Even if bots can check out faster, the website normally won’t update right away. In the past I was able to buy one of their deals and attempted checkout on others. The system definitely wasn’t updated in real time and they had very low stocks for their “sales”.

While I had no interest in this specific item (or even looked), the fact it was OOS at the very start of the deal does make it look suspicious. Given how the company have been operating the last few years, I wouldn’t put it pass them to pretend there was stock when there wasn’t any and pretend it sold out right away.