• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2019 2:35 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35048 posts
21012 upvotes
Center of Universe
monsterdon wrote: No using real name or picture on the internet. Then she won't have to worry about being harassed in real life. Words on the internet are meaningless. Good luck getting the cops to track down an online bully... lol.
Thanks for the support?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11555 posts
2082 upvotes
Toronto
rfdrfd wrote: Maybe it's because I'm a male, we don't have the same words as whorx, or bixch, for guys.

To me, there isn't any words someone can say that will hurt my feelings. I know who I am, you can call me a jerk or a hole, but I know I'm not, so I'd be like huh?

Is it possible to teach kids to be confident, and don't let any words bother you because it ain't true?

Unless it's physically hitting you, then that's a different story and solution.
Older generation can handle it much better. Younger, not so much. Generally, with a guy, it has to do with aspects of the the F#G word, low iq, etc. As well as physical threats.
OntEdTchr wrote: Words hurt. They hurt deeper and the wounds take longer to heal, particularly for girls. They're insidious. I've seen what teenage girls say to each other when investigating group chats and screenshots and I've seen the effect it has on people. Boosting self-esteem is certainly a worthwhile goal and you're right that words seem to bounce off of some people more easily than others, but teenage girls can be particularly hurtful, and the ones that want to bully others will find targets that give them the reaction they're after. I've never seen such a keen ability to identify and target insecurities in peers. Most of the bullying isn't even about directly calling each other names. A lot of it has to do with affecting others' opinions or actions towards the target of the bullying. Spreading rumours, establishing false reputations, excluding and have others exclude etc. This does happen to a certain extent with boys, but for the most part, boys will just throw down and then move on with their lives. I'm not a parent yet, but my experience with teaching intermediate students has made me terrified of having a daughter.
Many studies showing how teenage girls alot more affected today from social media regarding depression, self-esteem, mental illness, etc. Boys may 'chug along' but they get hit harder a bit later in life i.e. almost every measurable stats, boys are falling behind girls, and their mental illness/suicide rates spike dramatically. Only subsets in STEM they still dominate.