Students

Online Degrees, are they worth it?

[OP]
Banned
Aug 2, 2005
290 posts

Online Degrees, are they worth it?

What do you guys think of "online" degrees? Do you think they are laughed at by employers or actually good? Also, what's a reputable school that offers online degrees preferably for information technology.
26 replies
Sep 2, 2002
659 posts
2 upvotes
AB
I don't know about online degress, but Athabasca University (based in Alberta) is a good, reputable school for distance learning. They may have the degree program you're looking for..
Apr 16, 2002
831 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Personally, if I was hiring for a position and I had two applicants, just fresh with a degree, one with an online university, and the other with a degree from a known university, I'd take the student with the degree from the well known university without a second thought.

There's things you gain in going to a regular university that you just don't get with online courses, interaction with your peers, working and communicating with others etc...

But in all honestly, I don't trust ANY online degree, hell I don't even like DeVry, or any of those "specialty" schools, as far as I'm concerned they just rob you of your money and give you a sub-par education in a shortened timespan.

--Mark
[OP]
Banned
Aug 2, 2005
290 posts
^^^^ Would you trust an online degree from Waterloo? (Reputable school) ^^^^

The thing is I'm doing a 3 year college program now.. if I do university after, it might be another 3 more years. That's more schooling then I would of ever thought I would be doing. And if I did another 3 years, that means another 3 years freeloading off my parents. I want to move out and goto work, this is why I don't want to be in the classroom setting fulltime.. if I did part time, that's just going to be a long time.

I was thinking of getting a online degree from a school in America since they got degrees for shorter programs. Obviously I'm looking for a reputable school though.

And No, I wasn't thinking about the PHD degrees in three weeks lol.

EDIT: Also, on a resume it would say _________ College/University. I wouldn't state it was an online one of course :)
Jul 19, 2005
97 posts
Yes, I think online degrees are fine as long as they are offered from a reputable school.
Apr 16, 2002
831 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Wait, are you talking about distance ed? If so, I'm honestly not aware that you can do an ENTIRE degree from Waterloo through Distance Ed...

I also thought you were talking about those Online Only schools, that doesn't actually have any physical school.

But either way, if you're looking to do an entire degree, it'll still take some fair amount of time, you can't really pull off a degree in one year.

--Mark
Sep 2, 2002
659 posts
2 upvotes
AB
xwar wrote:not recommended
Care to elaborate at least a little bit?
Banned
Jun 10, 2005
339 posts
Ottawa
Seveneighty wrote:I don't know about online degress, but Athabasca University (based in Alberta) is a good, reputable school for distance learning. They may have the degree program you're looking for..
I took classes from Athabasca U and it was favourably looked upon.

I also took classes from SAIT, in IT and my former employers were impressed with my motivation to do the classes from home.

Online classes are good if you do not want to show up to a class or be stuck doing tons of time consuming group work.

Also, alot of school will let you transfer or add the online credits to your reg university degree!
[OP]
Banned
Aug 2, 2005
290 posts
Tharyn wrote:Wait, are you talking about distance ed? If so, I'm honestly not aware that you can do an ENTIRE degree from Waterloo through Distance Ed...

I also thought you were talking about those Online Only schools, that doesn't actually have any physical school.

But either way, if you're looking to do an entire degree, it'll still take some fair amount of time, you can't really pull off a degree in one year.

--Mark
No I was just using waterloo as an example. It's a reputable school. I'm looking for purely online, looking for a school in the USA though.

I simply can't just put in another 3 or 4 years full time in the classroom. I'll be like 26 by then.. like I said above, that's a lot more education then I was expecting.

Also for above, I'm not looking for something to pull off in a year. Probably two years or three. I heard in he USA, you get a degree for a two year course. I think a degree from the US, and a diploma from a college in Canada would look great no?
skating girl ottawa wrote:I took classes from Athabasca U and it was favourably looked upon.

I also took classes from SAIT, in IT and my former employers were impressed with my motivation to do the classes from home.

Online classes are good if you do not want to show up to a class or be stuck doing tons of time consuming group work.

Also, alot of school will let you transfer or add the online credits to your reg university degree!
Did you transfer credits? How long did it take you to finish the course? And about how much money did you spend?
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
CSR wrote:It looks good on paper, that's about it.
Pretty much, employers aren't exactly thrilled with the "I went to school, except I didn't really go anywhere" method of learning.

For most fields, college/university is to prove that you have the dedication and work ethic to survive. Companies have their own ways of doing things that they expect you to adjust to; your fancy education's methods are pretty much thrown out the window if they don't match.
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
3384 posts
46 upvotes
spfdz wrote:What do you guys think of "online" degrees? Do you think they are laughed at by employers or actually good? Also, what's a reputable school that offers online degrees preferably for information technology.
it's a waste of money. i hgihly doubt that employers are gonna take these online phd seriously.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu:
[OP]
Banned
Aug 2, 2005
290 posts
ttt wrote:it's a waste of money. i hgihly doubt that employers are gonna take these online phd seriously.
I didn't plan on getting a PHD...
Sep 2, 2002
659 posts
2 upvotes
AB
Judging by the varying responses, I think people are confused as to what you mean by "online degree".

Can you give an example? ie. a link? I didn't even think there was such a thing as online PhD's, so I don't know what this one guy is talking about..

And if you're gonna come in here with a big red "NO!", perhaps you could explain why you're so sure?
Jul 20, 2005
70 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Tharyn wrote:Wait, are you talking about distance ed? If so, I'm honestly not aware that you can do an ENTIRE degree from Waterloo through Distance Ed...

--Mark
I'm pretty sure that you can get entire degrees through distance ed....but only for certain faculties/programs. Certainly not in any math/engineering/science programs, but I believe that there are certain arts programs (for some reason social work and early childhood education seem to pop into my mind?) that allow for DE students. Even with those programs, however, I think that there are certain courses that must be taken in person (at any university, not necessarily UW), and those credits will eventually be transferred over and put towards the UW degree.

Don't quote me on any of that...I thought I read about that somewhere, but double check it to make sure!!!
Apr 12, 2005
53 posts
My first instinct was to say what most people here have said..but then I remembered when I told my boss I was taking distance ed courses over the summer (before i got the job) he was pretty impressed. He said it takes a more disciplined person to do distance ed since you arent reminded of due dates, and you are left on your own even more than in regular school. I think it depends on the employer you are dealing with. Different employers will see it differently.

Personally, I think which school you go to is over rated.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1689 posts
132 upvotes
IF (and that is a big if) the program is offered by a properly accredited school, there is no problem with an online/distance course. The biggest thing is making sure that the accreditation is there. The USA is full of scam outfits that will sell you a phony piece of paper saying whatever you want. Once you get a few years of real work experience, no one will care where the degree came from, but initially, it will make a difference. So, if you are planning on staying in Canada, I'd suggest finding a Canadian source for the degree you want. Likewise, if you were going to be working in the states, then a US one would be more appropriate.
Sep 2, 2002
659 posts
2 upvotes
AB
Again, if its something like Athabasca University (www.athabascau.ca), then it should be no different than going to a 'regular' university. You can get a 4-year Commerce degree there, for example.