Parenting & Family

Online doctor visits - is that a thing here yet?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2016 5:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 18, 2016
9 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto

Online doctor visits - is that a thing here yet?

Has anyone tried any of these virtual doctor services before? When I was in the states there were a bunch of options like Doctor-on-Demand (the one Dr. Phil started), American Well, etc., but there doesn't seem to be much in Canada. We're 10 years behind the US like always :-P

What are the options in Canada? And don't say Telehealth Ontario - they always tell me to go to the ER :-P
Last edited by pswayze on Oct 20th, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8398 posts
1523 upvotes
No such options here that I am aware of and there won't be any time soon considering Ontario still lacks a Provincial-level electronic health record database, and with spending on healthcare going down.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto
Apparently this does exist in Ontario, I've never tried it and there's an additional consultation fee: https://www.getmaple.ca/. No idea if there are other services like it though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9332 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
I'm sure many doctors are willing to make houscalls ad charge you cash out of pocket.

People already abuse emergency room visits, one can only imagine the abuse this will get by both patients and doctors, especially if OHIP is picking up the tab.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto
Somehow, I feel like this thread is a set up so you can advertise your own company....
[OP]
Oct 18, 2016
9 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Lol sorry, my observations sounded like an endorsement... removed that part. Looks like a couple of good options.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2016
9 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
$25 off any consult or unlimited membership plan. Virtual consults are normally $49, after discount they're $24. Pretty sweet for avoiding walk-ins.

Coupon code is KANEDA.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1788 posts
803 upvotes
Scarborough
interesting references using Akira and Kaneda... first thought would not be for an online MD....
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1071 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
My wife has tried Akira. It works quite well, but they will tell you to see a doctor in person if it's something they feel they can't diagnose over a phone.

I would say Akira is good for your typical cold, maybe a rash and you think you just need a common prescription.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
Are they authorized to write you a prescription or a doctor's note?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1739 posts
9413 upvotes
Should add "ON Only" to title.

For BC'ers or Ontarians looking for an alternative, EQ Virtual offers the same service in BC and ON. But virtual video visits through EQ Virtual are covered free under MSP.
Last edited by Leverage on Oct 20th, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 19, 2016
2 posts
1 upvote
Yes, they can prescribe, but no controlled substances, and they will err on the side of caution in general.

In terms of diagnosis, think about the last time you saw your doctor, and how much touching was actually involved. A lot of the time they just speak with you and maybe orders some tests. There are some advantages to communicating through an app too, like having your test results sent to your phone regardless of whether it's good news or bad news, having a written history if your conversation with the doctor that you can refer back to, the ability to easily follow up, etc.

Source: I work at Akira.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
6206 posts
4451 upvotes
Toronto
Undecided how I feel about this but complaining about its existence doesn't help. It's an OPTION that we consciously choose to take advantage of or ignore. Cool concept. Thanks for sharing OP.
With Zoomer Wireless !