• Mar 23rd, 2011 4:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
555 posts
224 upvotes

online purchase was returned to sender

i ordered some small items online from a well known lighting company. this is my 3rd order from this company.
i placed my order on feb 9 and waited 4 weeks for delivery. the company said that becasue it was coming from texas, that it could take upto 6 weeks.
today they sent me an email stating that the item was returned to them by canada post stating that it was "undeliverable as addressed. it was maked as "moved, unknown" i. double and tripple checked the address and it was correct.

since i needed these items quick, i asked them if they can sent it to a US address.

they said inorder for them to re-send the item, i would have to pay shipping again.
is this fair?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
vdubber wrote: i ordered some small items online from a well known lighting company. this is my 3rd order from this company.
i placed my order on feb 9 and waited 4 weeks for delivery. the company said that becasue it was coming from texas, that it could take upto 6 weeks.
today they sent me an email stating that the item was returned to them by canada post stating that it was "undeliverable as addressed. it was maked as "moved, unknown" i. double and tripple checked the address and it was correct.

since i needed these items quick, i asked them if they can sent it to a US address.

they said inorder for them to re-send the item, i would have to pay shipping again.
is this fair?

Did they refund you the full purchase price of the items that were returned to you? If so, then yes.

I would verify the address is correct in the shipping or order confirmation Email you received on first making the order, then ask them to send a copy or photo of their shipping label. That could have been wrong.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
555 posts
224 upvotes
i asked for a picture of the package and there is proper stampage.
there is also a yellow lable from a post office stating "MOVED/UNKNOWN RETURN TO SENDER, AZ 85236 USA'

they refunded my order with out asking
i payed 6.50 for the lights and 7.50 for shipping. they refunded only 6.50
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6226 posts
1899 upvotes
BC
vdubber wrote: double and tripple checked the address and it was correct.
iamnotamerican.com wrote: ask them to send a copy or photo of their shipping label.
vdubber wrote: there is also a yellow lable from a post office stating "MOVED/UNKNOWN RETURN TO SENDER"

Have come across this myself recently (for a letter, not a package).

As you will have found with the pic. they sent, you cannot see the original address with that yellow sticker in the way.

In theory, the mail delivery person should check one of several boxes on the sticker that applies, such as "incomplete address".

I don't know why that "moved/unknown" one gets checked when it obviously should not,

- unless it was delivered in error to some other address and that homeowner gave it back to the mail person.

And the mail person doesn't bother to look again at the address to see if there was a delivery mistake.

Given that you have an existing customer profile with that retailer, and haven't relocated in between, it sure seems like Canada Post is at fault.

I would proceed with the U.S. address plan, paying for S&H again, and ask them to include the original shipping label in the package.

You could then put in a claim with Canada Post for your original postage and let them take responsibility for the error.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
555 posts
224 upvotes
they yellow lable is actually computer generated.
doesnt look like the mail person filled anything out
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6226 posts
1899 upvotes
BC
Canada Post could claim that the address format on the label doesn't conform to their standards.

I'd guess that before it even went out for delivery someone thought it didn't have an Apt. # on it - because they didn't look hard enough.

If it had got as far as your mail person's bag, there is motivation to deliver it whatever - easier than taking it back to the depot.

So they take the time to look carefully at the label, and see the Apt. # that the sorter didn't take the time to.

That's the only way I can explain it - and as I say, very similar to what I recently encountered.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
555 posts
224 upvotes
macnut wrote: Canada Post could claim that the address format on the label doesn't conform to their standards.

I'd guess that before it even went out for delivery someone thought it didn't have an Apt. # on it - because they didn't look hard enough.

If it had got as far as your mail person's bag, there is motivation to deliver it whatever - easier than taking it back to the depot.

So they take the time to look carefully at the label, and see the Apt. # that the sorter didn't take the time to.

That's the only way I can explain it - and as I say, very similar to what I recently encountered.

so your saying whoever wrote the lable is at fault?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6226 posts
1899 upvotes
BC
vdubber wrote: so your saying whoever wrote the lable is at fault?

Canada Post could claim that, I'm not saying I agree with them.

And I don't think that not being machine readable would be a factor for packages like yours.

Clearly, that's the way that company always addresses packages to multi-family dwellings,
and USPS has no problem with it.
And in most cases Canada Post deals with it - worked for you in the past.

Just an unfortunate case of a local postal worker sticking to rules unreasonably, or plain screwing up.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
555 posts
224 upvotes
so do i suck it up and suffer a loss (shipping charges) ?
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
205 upvotes
It seems that he could possibly have only paid for local shipping, or something along the lines of customs does not add up & they are sending it back to be verified. I don't really know what "wants domestic shipping address" means, but it sounds something along those lines
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
205 upvotes
macnut wrote: Just an unfortunate case of a local postal worker sticking to rules unreasonably

OR

Someone who got in **** for going out of their way for someone receiving a package said "**** you, i'll do everything by the book to keep my job"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6226 posts
1899 upvotes
BC
Kris81 wrote: I don't really know what "wants domestic shipping address" means ...

That's just what the retailer scribbled on the label as a note to themselves when the OP told them he wanted it re-shipped to a U.S. address (to save both time and avoid the same fate).
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
205 upvotes
macnut wrote: That's just what the retailer scribbled on the label as a note to themselves when the OP told them he wanted it re-shipped to a U.S. address (to save both time and avoid the same fate).

Ahh, in that case.

The street do you live on - is there one close by that has the same letter in the street name?

Like if you live on Apple Avenue is there an Apricot Avenue?

What i'm thinking could have happened is the carrier delivered the package to the wrong address (right number, wrong street name) and if the person who received the item at the wrong address is a prick they would have crossed out the address & wrote "does not live here" or "return to sender" instead of just "wrong address"

That is really the only reason I can see that item being sent back.