Computers & Electronics

Online "whiteboarding" -- Surface Pro alternatives?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2021 5:08 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4126 posts
701 upvotes
Toronto

Online "whiteboarding" -- Surface Pro alternatives?

I'm going to be doing a number of presentations via Zoom / Teams over the coming months, in which it would be really helpful to be able to do a lot of on-screen drawing (on top of PowerPoint slides etc.)

I was thinking of getting a second hand Surface Pro 2017 model or Surface Pro 6, with the Surface Pen, to do this. My budget is about $500-$600 (second hand).

Are there any alternatives to these tablets that I should be looking at as well? (I'm primarily a Windows / Android person, would rather not go into the iOS world unless there's a really strong reason to do so)
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9482 posts
4691 upvotes
Markham
I thought MS Teams has whiteboard function?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15777 posts
2379 upvotes
Why not get a Wacom Intuos, if you want to do it on the cheap?
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2209 posts
1264 upvotes
Calgary
JAC wrote: Why not get a Wacom Intuos, if you want to do it on the cheap?
For something like marking up slides and such, being able to draw directly on the screen would be much easier than getting used to a separate drawing tablet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4126 posts
701 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: I thought MS Teams has whiteboard function?
It does -- I am asking more about the hardware. My current hardware is a plain old Lenovo laptop, I am looking for something with good on-screen writing capability (designed for that task).
Devhux wrote: For something like marking up slides and such, being able to draw directly on the screen would be much easier than getting used to a separate drawing tablet.
That is my thinking as well -- I don't have much time to "practice" this stuff, would rather write on the screen vs. on a drawing tablet as I have heard they take quite a bit of adjustment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4126 posts
701 upvotes
Toronto
That model looks like it takes a while to ship, but I understand there are other screen integrated drawing tablets out there too.
What's the advantage, besides cost, of using one of those vs. a proper tablet with pen?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2597 posts
41 upvotes
because a surface pro is a separate computer, so you'll need to reinstall and re-configure all your apps on it and move file back and forth that you're working on between it and your pc.

this just plugs into your PC like a monitor and you get to draw on it. simpler.
it's not who you are, it's what you do.