Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Reach

OnLive ANY game only $1! (Excludes pre-orders) DEUS EX, SPACE MARINES

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2011 5:29 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
steveb1986 wrote: Just a rough idea, 50 hrs of gameplay could be about 125 GB
I've tried Warhammer for free on this service and even though I have a 35Mb line the game played like crap, it had constant stutter, and the screen was all blurry because it was streaming. Doesn't even comes close to the quality you get when you run the game on your console/PC locally. The monthly usage can also be a problem for some people. With no caps this is a non issue
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1544 posts
1026 upvotes
Vancouver
I heard from my friends in Toronto that they really hate OnLive. I'm guessing it doesn't run as well out there than in Vancouver. It certainly has latency issues, but they aren't too bad especially depending on what game you play. OnLive has "demos" of games which is essentially the full game but you get a limited time trying it out. If you have any doubts, just go try it out first. Try a few games, see how they handle and pick your game.

On a side note, what game are you guys buying? I'm seriously considering Deus Ex even though I'd probably play Red Faction more.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2909 posts
396 upvotes
PharaohsVizier wrote: Odd, this email was probably the second or third email I've ever gotten from them. :(

Yep, you just can't order the micro console. The computer app works fine. I think the latency is pretty good too actually, probably better here in Vancouver than some places in the US.

Have you bought games from OnLive before?
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1544 posts
1026 upvotes
Vancouver
I had the playpack and recently got the Batman Akham Asylum deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
469 upvotes
i refuse to play a streaming game. this is a horrible idea and i hope they go bankrupt very soon
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
102 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Kingmoo wrote: i refuse to play a streaming game. this is a horrible idea and i hope they go bankrupt very soon

I tried onlive and it sucked. The latency was terrible, which I think is why they don't have any multiplayer FPS games. The compression kills the detail too and makes the games look like crap compared to playing an installed version on a decent PC.

Might be good for people with a low powered system or a mac I guess?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
FerrisB wrote: I tried onlive and it sucked. The latency was terrible, which I think is why they don't have any multiplayer FPS games. The compression kills the detail too and makes the games look like crap compared to playing an installed version on a decent PC.

Might be good for people with a low powered system or a mac I guess?

I still think this is the way this is going to go. Onlive and Gaikai are the future because they control piracy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1544 posts
1026 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow Gaikai is pretty cool, never heard of it before. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
1141 posts
2567 upvotes
I bought deux just to try it out. I have videotron connection with 30Mb down and 2Mb upload, very good ping. Just run a speed test and it seems normal. But I have experienced pretty bad lag in the game . I am not sure it is just the $1 promo overloading their servers or some fundamental connection problems for users in Canada (or maybe only a problem for videotron)?
May 1, 2007
320 posts
101 upvotes
Richmond
When I tried Onlive I couldn't get it to work on wireless and on a wired connection it worked pretty okay, but the visual quality wasn't too great. Just tried Gaikai on wireless and it worked quite well... quick, looked nice, but there was some input lag and choppiness once in a while... though I was streaming Blizzcon at the same time :) .
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1544 posts
1026 upvotes
Vancouver
I was trying out a demo of Space Marines. Controls weren't too bad, input lag was there, annoying, but not crippling. What I did notice was that the game looked pretty bad... Some games look pretty alright on OnLive, but boy does Space Marines look ugly. Everything was just blurry...
Feb 21, 2011
303 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
I just used mine to buy the Deus Ex Aug edition for 90 cents.

Unbelievable deal, I know they're selling cloud licensing but I honestly don't know how they could make a profit on this.
Oct 25, 2006
255 posts
16 upvotes
Good deal for $1, but seemed very laggy to me even though i'm on a fibre-optics network in vancouver. Maybe i'll try plugging in instead of using wifi next time.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
onlive is a horrible idea for Canada... Because most of us have metered connections, and we're probably too far away from the servers(With the possible exception of Windsor)

1 hour of gaming = 2+ gigs of bandwidth. If you have a lite internet package(15-25 gigs) you'll go over your cap in 7-12 hours of gaming. That, paired with the nature of the service technology(latency) makes it all but pointless for anything that isnt turn based.

$1 for a game is a great deal, but when its going to end up costing you extra cash in overage fees, and play like garbage because of latency, it hardly seems like a wise investment.
May 1, 2007
320 posts
101 upvotes
Richmond
bloodr0se wrote: I just used mine to buy the Deus Ex Aug edition for 90 cents.

Unbelievable deal, I know they're selling cloud licensing but I honestly don't know how they could make a profit on this.
Well it's a lose leader to get people into the service and hopefully buy more games in the future.
BigJimmyC wrote: Good deal for $1, but seemed very laggy to me even though i'm on a fibre-optics network in vancouver. Maybe i'll try plugging in instead of using wifi next time.

Going from a wireless connection to a wired connection made a big difference for me - saying that Onlive isn't for me, especially with my cap.
Scott86 wrote: onlive is a horrible idea for Canada... Because most of us have metered connections, and we're probably too far away from the servers(With the possible exception of Windsor)

1 hour of gaming = 2+ gigs of bandwidth. If you have a lite internet package(15-25 gigs) you'll go over your cap in 7-12 hours of gaming. That, paired with the nature of the service technology(latency) makes it all but pointless for anything that isnt turn based.

$1 for a game is a great deal, but when its going to end up costing you extra cash in overage fees, and play like garbage because of latency, it hardly seems like a wise investment.
Yes, if you have a low bandwidth plan, beware! But for the people with high caps/unlimited it might be worth a try - it definitely won't work well for everyone. I would try a 30min free trial before making a purchase (for me the best thing about services like this is that it's pretty quick jumping from game to game as you don't need to download and install each one).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
Has anyone actually had a *good* experience using this? Any games that dont look crappy and stutter?

Good deal all the same. I can only imagine as technology improves that OnLive or others like it could be game changers :)
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Jul 28, 2010
903 posts
586 upvotes
BigJimmyC wrote: Good deal for $1, but seemed very laggy to me even though i'm on a fibre-optics network in vancouver. Maybe i'll try plugging in instead of using wifi next time.

Same story here, although for $1 I can't complain, amazing deal.
I love how cheap PC gaming is today: for around $5 I bought some good DLC for ME2, bought Deus Ex Augmented Ed and got a free copy of Rift. Makes me think if it's worth it to game on my PS3 anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7641 posts
448 upvotes
BC
Insane deal. Just paid $1 for Deus Ex Augmented Ed. O_o

I tried for a few hours and can't complain about the lag (I am on Shaw High Speed and on WiFi). The graphic seems to be the low side, not sure if this is my PC or connection.

EPIC DEAL!!!

edit: on this OnLive, is there a diff between the normal version and augmented version?
insert witty comment
Nov 12, 2005
225 posts
36 upvotes
Scott86 wrote: onlive is a horrible idea for Canada... Because most of us have metered connections, and we're probably too far away from the servers(With the possible exception of Windsor)

Cause, you know, that area west of Windsor is just wilderness and not close at all to the servers in California. Are most people in Ontario this ********?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
manixc wrote: Insane deal. Just paid $1 for Deus Ex Augmented Ed. O_o

I tried for a few hours and can't complain about the lag (I am on Shaw High Speed and on WiFi). The graphic seems to be the low side, not sure if this is my PC or connection.

EPIC DEAL!!!

edit: on this OnLive, is there a diff between the normal version and augmented version?

pretty sure augmented edition has a bonus weapon they give you when you start the game (sniper rifle? sawed off shotgun?) and a bonus mission towards the middle of the game (save some chinese gangster kid).