• Jan 25th, 2018 6:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3425 posts
2138 upvotes
B.C.

Only Half My PC Points Are Getting Added at the Gas Bar

I always buy my gas at a gas bar aligned with PC to get the 70 points per litre. I noticed at the beginning of January that I was only getting half the points. I didn't know why and thought maybe that particular gas bar was messed up somehow. But I went to a different gas bar yesterday and the same thing happened. I made a points inquiry and got the missing points in both cases. Then I decided to go through the receipts from the point I first noticed it. I discovered that it started for me in late November 2017. It was right around the time I stopped using my PC debit card and started using the PC Plus card instead for the points with my new Simplii debit card due to that PC change. On the receipt, there's a place where it says "Base offer" and that is where the points are located. The difference is that there's a zero under "Bonus offer." My husband says that the other half of the points used to be listed there. Since I think it probably has something to do with using the PC Plus card now rather than a PC debit card, possibly people who always use a PC Mastercard won't have the issue.

I made a points inquiry for the missing points on the receipts between the end of November and the beginning of January and they gave me the points. It was close to 2,000 points and we don't drive much. So it definitely adds up. I'm guessing it's not just me...
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3163 posts
1056 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
I haven't delved into this carefully but my understanding is that you have to pay with the PC Financial credit card to get 7 0 points per litre.
Sep 12, 2013
41 posts
45 upvotes
KANATA
Marzipan wrote: I haven't delved into this carefully but my understanding is that you have to pay with the PC Financial credit card to get 7 0 points per litre.
this is correct, you need to pay with the credit card
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
That would be the reason. Because CIBCi is no longer affiliated with PC Financial, you no longer get the bonus points.

Surprised they didn't give you an explanation.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20891 posts
19160 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
You need to read up on the recent split that PC Financial had from CIBC.

https://www.pcfinancial.ca

https://www.pcfinancial.ca/m/english/in ... igninop=OB

https://www.pcplus.ca/loyalty_become_member_pcf.jsp

Some products went with CIBC to the new Simplii Bank
While others stayed with PC Financial

The PC MC CCs are with PC Financial
Bank Accounts & Debit Cards with Simplii

So to earn BONUS PC Points you need to use the PC CC

https://www.pcfinancial.ca/m/english/cr ... dit-cards/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3425 posts
2138 upvotes
B.C.
I did read up on it and saw nothing specifically addressing it. At one of the gas bars (these are kind of generic gas bars, not branded ones like Esso), there's even a sandwich board advertising the 70 points with *nothing* about specifically needing to use the Mastercard. In fact, it's the same sandwich board that was always there. And the person working at the gas bar said I should be getting all the points still.

You're all saying the PC Plus card is the problem, But if that were the case, why would my points be given to me all three times I asked for them? In each case I gave an explanation. If you can find where this is mentioned specifically, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you would all presume this to be true when there is certainly evidence suggesting that I should be getting the points and there's a glitch of some kind.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2241 posts
3445 upvotes
West
TheHans wrote: I did read up on it and saw nothing specifically addressing it. At one of the gas bars (these are kind of generic gas bars, not branded ones like Esso), there's even a sandwich board advertising the 70 points with *nothing* about specifically needing to use the Mastercard. In fact, it's the same sandwich board that was always there. And the person working at the gas bar said I should be getting all the points still.

You're all saying the PC Plus card is the problem, But if that were the case, why would my points be given to me all three times I asked for them? In each case I gave an explanation. If you can find where this is mentioned specifically, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you would all presume this to be true when there is certainly evidence suggesting that I should be getting the points and there's a glitch of some kind.
PC Financial no longer carries debit products, as everyone has stated. Look online, no where does it mention anything about earning points with a debit card anymore, in store or at the gas bar. Don't fall victim to the confirmation bias.

Read the board again. It probably says when you pay with a "PC Financial" product or something.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3425 posts
2138 upvotes
B.C.
Phonophoresis wrote: PC Financial no longer carries debit products, as everyone has stated. Look online, no where does it mention anything about earning points with a debit card anymore, in store or at the gas bar. Don't fall victim to the confirmation bias.
I'm not earning point with the debit card. I know about that and of course it won't say anywhere that I do get points with the debit card. As you can read in my initial post, I said I'm earning the points with my PC Plus points card, not my debit card. I'm giving it along with my debit card when I pay. It's the PC Plus card that's giving me the points apparently. And I'm still getting half of them regardless. It's the other half that I was wondering about.

It's possible of course that I'm not entitled to those extra points any longer. Although the sandwich board at the gas bar says otherwise. But as long as I can get them by asking, I'll keep doing that. Thanks to everyone who wrote here.
Last edited by TheHans on Jan 25th, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20891 posts
19160 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
You earn 10 PC Plus Points per $ 1 Spent on Gasoline at a participating Gas Station
When you present your PC Plus Card
Does not matter how you pay... Cash, Debit, CC, GC

You only earn additional PC Plus Points per $ 1 Spent on Gasoline if you use a RECOGNIZED PC FINANCIAL PLASTIC CARD for Payment
(BONUS varies by which card you use... Silver - World - World Elite. PC WE MC pays the highest Bonus)

All of this is on the PC FINANCIAL Website = https://www.pcfinancial.ca/gasbar/
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1152 posts
597 upvotes
TheHans wrote: I'm not earning point with the debit card. I know about that and of course it won't say anywhere that I do get points with the debit card. As you can read in my initial post, I said I'm earning the points with my PC Plus points card, not my debit card. I'm giving it along with my debit card when I pay. It's the PC Plus card that's giving me the points apparently. And I'm still getting half of them regardless. It's the other half that I was wondering about.

It's possible of course that I'm not entitled to those extra points any longer. Although the sandwich board at the gas bar says otherwise. But as long as I can get them by asking, I'll keep doing that. Thanks to everyone who wrote here.
take a picture of the sign next time you are there. I believe you will see 3.5 for non PC MasterCard holders in small print underneath...
Nov 28, 2013
501 posts
226 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: You earn 10 PC Plus Points per $ 1 Spent on Gasoline at a participating Gas Station
When you present your PC Plus Card
Does not matter how you pay... Cash, Debit, CC, GC

You only earn additional PC Plus Points per $ 1 Spent on Gasoline if you use a RECOGNIZED PC FINANCIAL PLASTIC CARD for Payment
(BONUS varies by which card you use... Silver - World - World Elite. PC WE MC pays the highest Bonus)

All of this is on the PC FINANCIAL Website = https://www.pcfinancial.ca/gasbar/
Where does it say PC Plus only? I see PC plus and PC Financial Mastercard.
* Cents per litre of gasoline are payable in bonus PC points when you use your registered PC Plus account and when paying with your PC Financial Mastercard at participating Loblaw Companies Limited Gas Bars. Amount of cents per litre varies and is dependent on the Gas Bar location. 10 PC points is equivalent to 1 cent. PC points will be awarded on a per transaction basis. Partial litre purchases will be rounded up to the next litre if a partial litre purchase consists of at least 0.5 of a litre or greater. Partial litre purchases will otherwise be rounded down to the previous litre. Account must be in good standing. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer subject to change.

** Earn a minimum of 10 PC points per dollar on all of your purchases charged to the credit card. Any bonus PC points offers available to all PC Financial Mastercard customers are calculated based on the regular earnings rate of 10 PC points per dollar spent. PC Financial World Mastercard cardholders earn a bonus 10 PC points per dollar spent. PC Financial World Elite Mastercard cardholders earn a bonus 20 PC points per dollar spent. This offer may be terminated or changed at any time
All this is at the bottom of terms and conditions athttps://www.pcfinancial.ca/gasbar/Location.aspx

And the big black banner says PC Plus and PC Financial Mastercard too.

The don't state the bonus points per L because it's different in each province. Eg. Here in Vancouver it used to be 7c/L but in Winnipeg it was 10c/L. (This was before they rebranded to Mobil gas, now I don't pump there.)

~Edit. If you're talking about different bonus points based on the Mastercard level, that's for ESSO stations, not PC gas bars. You can't use PC Plus at ESSO gas anyways...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3425 posts
2138 upvotes
B.C.
bryceton wrote: take a picture of the sign next time you are there. I believe you will see 3.5 for non PC MasterCard holders in small print underneath...
Thanks. If that's what it says, then that explains it completely. I'll check the sign out more carefully next time. The thing about the 10 points per $1 (in fact anything about points per dollar) is a different factor altogether as what I'm talking about involves per litre, not per dollar.

Update: As suggested by @bryceton my husband took a picture of the sandwich board today at the gas bar when he was in town. There's a new one now to go along with the new PC Optimum program. It said that if you use the PC Optimum card on its own, you get 35 points per litre. I don't know what the old sign actually said, but probably something similar. *However*, despite that, hubby received 70 points per litre at the gas bar today (like it always happened prior to November 2017 with just the PC Plus card) just using the PC Optimum card. Go figure...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)