Only meals under $8 - Not burgers or subs

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 12:48 am
Oct 28, 2012
419 posts
159 upvotes
Ajax, ON

Only meals under $8 - Not burgers or subs

Everything is so expensive now! It seems to me that you can't go anywhere for lunch, etc., for just about less than $10 except burgers and subs! I'm so sick of that and I'm sure you are too. Let's help each other out with serious meals for LESS than $8.

Restaurant:
City and area/location:
Meal and price:

Rules are no subs, no pizza, no burgers (includes no chicken or veggie burgers). Must be less than $8 before tax.
78 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
taskmasta wrote: Everything is so expensive now! It seems to me that you can't go anywhere for lunch, etc., for just about less than $10 except burgers and subs! I'm so sick of that and I'm sure you are too. Let's help each other out with serious meals for LESS than $8.

Restaurant:
City and area/location:
Meal and price:

Rules are no subs, no pizza, no burgers (includes no chicken or veggie burgers). Must be less than $8 before tax.
I often get grocery store buffet for lunch for under $10. Whole Foods got too expensive so now I go to Farm Boy.
It's pretty healthy too if you get the right stuff.
Nothing's cheaper than yesterday's leftovers though.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Check out the MTY Group of Fast Food Restaurants
They have lots of options in the $ 8 to $ 15 range of eats
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
I'm a big fan of getting kid's meals.

I'm not sure of the exact price but you can get two tacos, chips and a drink for under $8 at Chipotle.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9537 posts
3186 upvotes
restaurants margins are base on food cost 20-25% (or less!). So you would be looking at something that cost them under $2. Then add tax too. Better off to spend at the grocery store
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
You can't get a proper meal for under $8 with tax. It will be at least $15. If that is the case, don't eat out and just cook or buy frozen.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
I doubt there's many locations with quality meals under 10 dollars. Even a burger meal is going to cost more than that unless you get basic things like a cheese burger and small fries & skip the drink to save money, at McDonald's. If you don't want to pay for a premade fresh meal then buy a premade frozen meal? They can be had on sale/clearance for as low as a dollar.
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
133 posts
271 upvotes
A hot dog and drink at Costco for $1.50. Add fries if you are still hungry.
Oct 28, 2012
419 posts
159 upvotes
Ajax, ON
There used to be a place in Montreal called Pasta Fasta. That spot would give incredible portions for about $5. Lasagna, pasta and meat sauce, and other things. It was in the food court at McGill and de Maisonneuve. So good! We would murder that place!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2830 posts
989 upvotes
GTA
jerk king is pretty good. randy's patty as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Check out the MTY Group of Fast Food Restaurants
They have lots of options in the $ 8 to $ 15 range of eats
The OP didn't say he wanted EDIBLE food so your suggestion is valid.... MTY means avoid...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: The OP didn't say he wanted EDIBLE food so your suggestion is valid.... MTY means avoid...
Hey, as I read the post ... most of what he is using as a comparative basis is Burgers, Subs & Pizza

All Fast Food, so that’s the direction I went in

But like others here ... my cost saver for working lunches have either been BYOBag of Leftovers from home
Or
Hit the Local Grocery etc for things like Salad Bar, Cheese, Buns, etc
Farm Boy is an awesome place if one has a store near to where they work
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
most asian food courts esp in the older rundown malls/plazas. There are lots in Scarborough.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3639 posts
3019 upvotes
Toronto
Go to a Longo’s or Loblaws where you can get a decent lunch for $6-8.
Anything from 1/4 chicken and side or 3 combo of ribs, salad and rice.
Prepackaged lasagnas are also available (you just need a microwave)

Otherwise, try your local burrito place for a healthy beans, rice and chicken wrap.
There are also roti places that are in around that price range.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
Chicken biryani currently 7.99 at Silverspoon restaurant at warden/ellesmere
(No drink though). Huge portion and good lunch occasionally

Beats your fastfood prices
Oct 28, 2012
419 posts
159 upvotes
Ajax, ON
apnayloags wrote: Chicken biryani currently 7.99 at Silverspoon restaurant at warden/ellesmere
(No drink though). Huge portion and good lunch occasionally

Beats your fastfood prices
That sounds great!
Don't need a drink. Water is my drink of choice anyway.