• Jun 25th, 2018 2:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10693 posts
2063 upvotes
Kingston

ONT ONLY - GreenOn Solar System Rebates

Only limited details are available at this point, but they are below.

This thread is intended to discuss the details of the program and how-to of the program. PLEASE KEEP THE POLITICAL COMMENTARY ELSEWHERE. Thanks.

LINK TO PROGRAM

The Green Ontario Fund will offer rebates for Solar PV and Energy Storage systems to help Ontario homeowners use renewable electricity and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.

Ontario businesses can also reduce their greenhouse gas emissions through rebates offered for Solar PV, and additionally, rebates offered for Solar Thermal Air projects, which are intended to reduce natural gas consumption.

The GreenON Solar Rebates Program is expected to launch Summer 2018 and will be delivered in connection with Ontario’s local hydro companies. Provide your contact information below to learn more about the program as details become available.

Who Can Participate
The following are eligible to participate in the Solar Rebates Program:

All Ontario homeowners who live in an existing detached home, townhouse or semi-detached home are able to take part. The rebate is also available to homeowners of new custom built homes.
All businesses with facilities in Ontario.

What You Can Get
Get rebates after you install eligible Solar PV, Energy Storage, or Solar Thermal Air systems for your home and business:

Home
The program provides the following incentives*:

$1.00 per watt for residential Solar Photovoltaic (PV) system
$370 per kilowatt hour for residential Storage system
$1.50 per watt for residential Solar PV + Storage system
$3.00 per watt for residential standalone off-grid Solar PV + Storage system

Business
The program provides the following incentives*:

$0.75 per watt for commercial Solar Photovoltaic (PV) system
approximately $26.00** per square foot for Solar Thermal Air installations

*approval of all Solar PV and storage rebates are subject to your local hydro company’s approval and other required inspections. A residential Solar PV project cannot exceed 10 kW (AC). A commercial Solar PV project cannot exceed 500 kW (AC). Other terms and conditions apply.

**estimated incentive only. Final incentive amount will vary based on collector performance, determined by the Testing Adjustment and Balance report. Total incentive value will not exceed 70% of the total installed system cost.

Installation Eligibility Requirements

Homeowners
  • Participants must own the Solar PV installation
  • Participants must be connected to the system of a local hydro company or be an off-grid system that is displacing existing diesel generation
  • Must be installed on an existing rooftop structure of your home, but must not be installed prior to the launch of the program
  • Other types such as ground mounted installations are not eligible
  • Must comply with net metering regulations and other legislated and regulated requirements
  • Maximum project size of 10 kW (AC)
  • Other terms and conditions may apply
  • Total residential installations in the program will be capped at 20 MW (AC)
Businesses
  • Must be a registered business within Ontario
  • Participants must own the commercial property where the project will be installed or, in leasing arrangements, have the approval of the landlord
  • Must be rooftop mounted only (Solar PV) and must not be installed prior to the launch of the program
  • Participants applying for a Solar PV incentive must have a Class A or Class B or GS<50 kW account with a local hydro company
  • Solar Thermal Air projects must be constructed on an existing commercial building and be connected to an existing HVAC system
  • Solar Thermal Air project sites must be occupied or in use during the day at least four days per week, during the months of September to May
  • Maximum Solar PV project size of 500 kW (AC)
  • Must comply with net metering regulations
  • Other terms and conditions may apply
  • Total business installations in the Program will be capped at 50 MW (AC)

What is net metering?
You generate solar power, use what you need and the rest goes to the grid for credit. You don't need an expensive battery system if you are grid-connected, the grid is your "virtual battery" because you can send your excess to the grid (for credit) and can draw on it (or even more) when you need it.

You can carry the credits for up to 11 months. So this essentially means that over a 12 consecutive month period you won't be paid for the total excess over the period.

Hydro One's page on net metering
Download page for the current net metering regulation

So what exactly do you get paid?
  • If you go net metering you will be on the Tiered Pricing approach (X.X cents for the first 900(?) kWh per month and Y.Y cents for the rest).
  • You will be generating on the Tiered Pricing model as well. So your power generated will be credited first at the first tier (low) rate. This sucks if you use a lot of hydro and are paying second tier prices for some of your use.
  • If you are currently on Time of Use pricing you'll be switched to Tiered Pricing. So you won't be earning at the Peak rate or mid-peak rate when you generate during the day.
  • You will get "credit" for the delivery, regulatory and debt-retirement charges which are based on use.
  • You will still have to pay the fixed portion of the monthly bill in delivery and regulatory charges whether you have to pay for any energy or not. For me this is about $46/month. See HERE for details.
  • I have read that at least some local hydro companies (LDC) charge HST on the full hydro you use but you don't get credit for the HST on hydro you sell them. So if you used $100 of power and generated $100 of power, you'd pay $113 with tax and get credit for $100 = net bill of $13. This doesn't apply to the solar power you are using as it is produced, only when you use "credits" from the excess power you loaned to the grid.
  • An example of a 2014 net metering bill can be found HERE.
  • The amount you get credited on your bill is NOT taxable (and the costs are not deductible)
The Ontario government is developing plans to transition from microFIT to net metering, and re-thinking how net metering would work in the future.
Q&A on the future of Net Metering.
Future direction for net metering in Ontario
There are indications that they may pay for excess generated and are considering different models. Lots of uncertainty as to where things will be in the future.

When will hydro rates be high enough to for net metering to make financial sense?
  • You'd think really soon, right? That's what I thought initially but maybe not. According the the forecast rates in this Dec 2013 article:
  • The province’s long-term energy plan, released Monday, projects a 42-per-cent jump in home power bills by 2018, climbing to 68 per cent by 2032. The cost for industrial enterprises will also rise, by 33 per cent in the next five years and 55 per cent in the next 20.
  • In terms of % increase per year, this works out to about 7.3% per year for the first 5 years (which we are about halfway through), but then only 1.2% per year for the next 14.
  • If the above rates hold true and your all-in variable rate (using Tiered pricing) is about 18 cents/kWh today, your rate by 2032 would "only" be 24.5 cents/kWh and by the end of your microFIT contract in 2036 you'd "only" be paying 25.7 cents/kWh.
  • If you believe rates will increase at a much faster rate the results are different. If you predict 5% increase per year you'd be at the current microFIT rate by 2026 (about the same time you'd start having taxable income).
Last edited by JWL on May 9th, 2018 8:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
39 replies
Aug 31, 2015
230 posts
51 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I wonder how the rebate for the storage component will work? Let's say that you are going for the $3/watt off-grid. Let's assume that a 10kW system costs about $30k. Then you would have to have at least $13 worth of batteries, etc to not exceed the 70% threshold. That will get you about two Tesla Powerwall batteries as they are about $8k each. This will be a huge boon for cottagers that are in spots that can't be reached economically by the grid - like on an island. But I wonder if this will still be around after the Ontario election?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1316 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
I am wondering if it makes sense to put in another 4k-5k net metering system (in addition to my Microfit install) to power the house and future electric vehicle. Does anyone know if this is for a net metering setup, and whether you are eligible if you already have a microfit install?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10693 posts
2063 upvotes
Kingston
Just added Eligibility requirements to the OP and there are some potential deal breakers:
  • Participants must be connected to the system of a local hydro company or be an off-grid system that is displacing existing diesel generation
  • Must be installed on an existing rooftop structure of your home, but must not be installed prior to the launch of the program
  • Other types such as ground mounted installations are not eligible
Last edited by JWL on May 9th, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5159 posts
1770 upvotes
Kingston, ON
There may be limitations but this program seems ridiculously generous. I signed up for more info, as it’s a good opportunity for those of us who missed the MicroFIT boat.

My wife still hates the idea of rooftop vs ground-mount solar, but it sounds like the south-facing roof of our garage would work.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1779 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto
Can I only install a powerwall and no PV panels? To many tree for a solar panels.

A tesla powerwall 2 is 13.5KWh = $5000 rebate
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10693 posts
2063 upvotes
Kingston
lurker99 wrote:
May 11th, 2018 8:48 am
Can I only install a powerwall and no PV panels? To many tree for a solar panels.

A tesla powerwall 2 is 13.5KWh = $5000 rebate
Residential offer is for 10KWh max.
"Off-grid system" must be replacing existing diesel generation. I would think this is referring to battery systems.
Nov 5, 2003
132 posts
11 upvotes
Has anyone quoted this out in Toronto? The quote I got is about $16,500 for a 4.2 watt system (all that will fit on my roof). I didn't got with the microfit because it just didn't make sense economically. The company I quoted with before reached out to me after this program was put in place. I was hoping it would be more viable. But the problem becomes that most of my hydro bill isn't actually for hydro. I can cut 50% of my power consumption but that only equates to 25% of my bill... that means I end up with a 20 year payback give or take, depending on what warranties I add and how quickly the price of hydro increases.

I really want to do this but just cannot justify the cost. Anyone else have better experiences / other ideas?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10693 posts
2063 upvotes
Kingston
momack wrote:
May 15th, 2018 9:30 am
Has anyone quoted this out in Toronto? The quote I got is about $16,500 for a 4.2 watt system (all that will fit on my roof). I didn't got with the microfit because it just didn't make sense economically. The company I quoted with before reached out to me after this program was put in place. I was hoping it would be more viable. But the problem becomes that most of my hydro bill isn't actually for hydro. I can cut 50% of my power consumption but that only equates to 25% of my bill... that means I end up with a 20 year payback give or take, depending on what warranties I add and how quickly the price of hydro increases.

I really want to do this but just cannot justify the cost. Anyone else have better experiences / other ideas?
Sounds like you are doing the right math. With the rebates you'd get $4,200 back so that would certainly help.

I've added some info to the OP to detail some of the things you need to consider with net metering. Unfortunately it is almost always not as beneficial financially as one would initially think.
Jan 8, 2011
540 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
JWL wrote:
May 9th, 2018 8:49 am

$1.00 per watt for residential Solar Photovoltaic (PV) system
$370 per kilowatt hour for residential Storage system
$1.50 per watt for residential Solar PV + Storage system
Based on the above interested in the potential rebate on a 5KW solar system with a Tesla Powerwall. Would it be $1.50 x 5000 for the solar plus $370 x 14 for the Powerwall? Total - $12,680?

Does anyone know of a certified Powerwall installer in Eastern Ontario (Kingston or Ottawa)? I reached out to MPower over a week ago and have not heard back. There is no phone number on their website.
Apr 3, 2015
39 posts
13 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Check out Isolara. They installed my Microfit system 5 yrs ago, and I was happy with them, and I seem to recall an email about them getting into Powerwall...

'tuna
Backlight wrote:
May 16th, 2018 8:43 pm
Based on the above interested in the potential rebate on a 5KW solar system with a Tesla Powerwall. Would it be $1.50 x 5000 for the solar plus $370 x 14 for the Powerwall? Total - $12,680?

Does anyone know of a certified Powerwall installer in Eastern Ontario (Kingston or Ottawa)? I reached out to MPower over a week ago and have not heard back. There is no phone number on their website.
Jan 8, 2011
540 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
jonatuna wrote:
May 16th, 2018 8:50 pm
Check out Isolara. They installed my Microfit system 5 yrs ago, and I was happy with them, and I seem to recall an email about them getting into Powerwall...

'tuna
Awesome - thanks, they are certified installers. I've reached out.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10693 posts
2063 upvotes
Kingston
Backlight wrote:
May 16th, 2018 8:43 pm

Note the Eligibility Requirements in the first post including:
Participants must be connected to the system of a local hydro company or be an off-grid system that is displacing existing diesel generation

So unless you are switching from a diesel generator to a powerwall, you are likely not eligible for rebates related to battery systems.
Jan 8, 2011
540 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
JWL wrote:
May 16th, 2018 9:22 pm
Note the Eligibility Requirements in the first post including:
Participants must be connected to the system of a local hydro company or be an off-grid system that is displacing existing diesel generation

So unless you are switching from a diesel generator to a powerwall, you are likely not eligible for rebates related to battery systems.
"Participants must be connected to the system of a local hydro company" - which I am.. Not clear based on the Eligibility Requirements why that would negate a rebate on the battery system?