Automotive

(ONT) Premier Ford Ending Drive Clean Test, April 1st

Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chanc2 wrote: Does this means I can remove the CAT and run straight pipes now?
Yup. Do it!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4777 upvotes
Ontario
Most out of town post codes were exempt anyway.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5072 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Feel sorry for my dad he just emission tested all his 4 cars (2 are almost never driven but he wanted to keep them plated) because he had a November birthday. Took him all day.

This program was just a joke and im glad it's scrapped.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5072 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
EP32k2 wrote: what?

You know those are completely separate things.
Do i still need to pay for insurance?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ecsta wrote: Feel sorry for my dad he just emission tested all his 4 cars (2 are almost never driven but he wanted to keep them plated) because he had a November birthday. Took him all day.

This program was just a joke and im glad it's scrapped.
It shouldn't have cost him anything though!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Good timing, I have a CEL for emissions that I won't bother to fix now. I'll just throw some black tape over the light.
Stock R wrote: Good! The program was a joke (especially when they switched to odb only).
I went recently to get a test to renew stickers with a broken exhaust. I had gaping holes just after the cat and the car sounded like a hot rod. Rumbled in to the center, plugged in, and passed with flying colors because it's odb reading only. :S
For the record, I have since put in a new exhaust.
That hole didn't affect your emissions because it was after the CAT. It just made your car loud.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Ecsta wrote: Do i still need to pay for insurance?
Nope, time for the purge!

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Doh... just got clean test reminder with plates renewal for one of our vehicles!!
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Kkhan15 wrote: The Libs made it "free" by adding it to your sticker renewals. Don't be fooled.

Like one poster said, the OBD test is stupid. Does nothing to prevent emissions. Heck, on my last car I was allowed 2 "not ready" and an EVAP system engine light. So I reset the light, hooked up good old Torque app and drove until I had the 2 not ready's on, went in and passed the test, got my sticker and light came back on the next day.

If anything the tail sniffer was the better option. But these days its not the cars, it is the commercial trucks out there.
Bingo it wasn't free. It was just foisted on the backs of taxpayers. And as license renewal costs just kept going higher and higher.

Excellent news all around.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: What about for those whose birthdays are coming up soon?

Maybe people should not have sold their TDI's? :)
Just bought a TDI in April. Man, I love this car (so far). Mileage is just nutty :D

I would imagine that everyone before April 1st is SOL
Last edited by DaVibe on Sep 28th, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2004
5148 posts
2196 upvotes
Mississauga
All cat deletes rejoice! No more consequence! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Drive clean never stopped you from doing that. You're only checked once every 2 years, it's not difficult to bolt the cat and exhaust back on before the test.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote: The first test is free, cars that fail shouldn’t be on the road without the needed repairs.
What do you mean. Didn't you notice that the program is being scrapped completely. This was a money Grab.... Get $400 worth of repairs to get a conditional pass.. what a joke... Check engine light can come for any damn reason other than emissions... Older cars get this check engine light on all the time and still run good...
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes
What it means is that if the stupid "Catalyst converter efficiency below threshhold" code will come in .. No one will give Rat's a$$
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3741 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
CocoJambo wrote: What do you mean. Didn't you notice that the program is being scrapped completely. This was a money Grab.... Get $400 worth of repairs to get a conditional pass.. what a joke... Check engine light can come for any damn reason other than emissions... Older cars get this check engine light on all the time and still run good...
It was up to $400. So you could spend $10, $25, $50 or $400 to get the conditional.

I've done that two test in a row $100 on plugs and went for the conditional. This year my beater passed as the test was changed.

Any word if the renewal sticker price will be coming down any time soon?
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Time to remove the cat for more power!
Please respond
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
3260 posts
4520 upvotes
Toronto
Emission tests was the reason VW got caught cheating in their software to sell polluting diesels.
While the rest of the world is moving towards cleaner and more efficient personal transportation, Ontario just stepped back into the sixties.
Enjoy your smog in the summer, stinky commute and all kinds of lung diseases .
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My car just reached the 7yr milestone, and I was due for emissions testing for my plate renewal in November. I guess I won't have to do that now?
Sep 15, 2014
131 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON
board123 wrote: My car just reached the 7yr milestone, and I was due for emissions testing for my plate renewal in November. I guess I won't have to do that now?
i think its effective april 2019

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)