• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2019 1:09 pm
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6828 posts
5728 upvotes
North York
it's not the speed limit - that's just a thing for police to catch you with.

Most of the time, majority of the people drive faster than 100, or even 110, especially when traffic is light.

It's the incompetent drivers that kill the roads. You could raise the speed limit to 140 and it'd still be bad.

Just "better" way to test the drivers would be more efficient
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9733 posts
4541 upvotes
Autobahn speed thanks
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1007 posts
254 upvotes
They need to add: "Should trucks and corolla's be limited to the middle/right lane only?"
Oct 1, 2015
804 posts
990 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Speed limit isn't the issue when people out there have no common sense when behind the wheel.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4190 posts
3125 upvotes
Markham
McLaren__F1 wrote: Autobahn speed thanks
Only if they institute German type licensing!

It’s one of the hardest and most expensive places to get licensed in. I suspect if they introduced this scheme in ON there will be a sudden glut of Beige Toyota’s whose owners can never drive again. lol
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2633 posts
495 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
skwigglyline wrote: They need to add: "Should trucks and corolla's be limited to the middle/right lane only?"
honestly, i hate to further the stereotype but there should be some sort of extra licensing/testing on people that buy corollas. They are consistently the worst drivers I see on the road and make clueless decisions.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14302 posts
3471 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
X24Secret wrote: Only if they institute German type licensing!

It’s one of the hardest and most expensive places to get licensed in. I suspect if they introduced this scheme in ON there will be a sudden glut of Beige Toyota’s whose owners can never drive again. lol
Honestly that's the kind of licensing we should have. But the government would never ever do that.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1327 posts
1175 upvotes
Toronto
bargain man wrote: honestly, i hate to further the stereotype but there should be some sort of extra licensing/testing on people that buy corollas. They are consistently the worst drivers I see on the road and make clueless decisions.
That's like saying people in Scarborough can't make a left turn, or a right turn. Or not crash into each other. Or not wear sun visors so they can't see chit.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4190 posts
3125 upvotes
Markham
bargain man wrote: honestly, i hate to further the stereotype but there should be some sort of extra licensing/testing on people that buy corollas. They are consistently the worst drivers I see on the road and make clueless decisions.
I’d agree Corolla’s are right up there specially for driving below limit.

Followed closely by Ram drivers, especially the ones who hang brass bull testicles presumably to compensate for their own lack of testosterone.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3854 posts
3965 upvotes
GTA
I think the biggest thing that the MTO can do to improve traffic flow on the 400-series highways is increase enforcement of basic driving principles. Change lanes only when safe to do so, keep right except to pass, one lane change at a time, lights on at night, highbeams off pretty much always, keep a safe following distance, zipper merge, not using on/off ramps to pass etc.
Nov 29, 2011
956 posts
336 upvotes
Milton
derass wrote: I think the biggest thing that the MTO can do to improve traffic flow on the 400-series highways is increase enforcement of basic driving principles. Change lanes only when safe to do so, keep right except to pass, one lane change at a time, lights on at night, highbeams off pretty much always, keep a safe following distance, zipper merge, not using on/off ramps to pass etc.
There's so much of this they can do, but it seems they have no interest.

I think they just focus on speeding as a priority because it lets them tout "safety" in press releases and it's easy to report, plus I imagine speeding tickets are more efficient to issue, and probably have higher conviction rates per hour.

You can't run down a summary of dozens of different offenses in a PR statement after a long weekend or blitz, where 8% were for this, 3% for that, 12% for another.

But it's pretty easy when a blitz nets 82% of tickets for speeding.
Apr 24, 2011
389 posts
156 upvotes
Scarborough
derass wrote: I think the biggest thing that the MTO can do to improve traffic flow on the 400-series highways is increase enforcement of basic driving principles. Change lanes only when safe to do so, keep right except to pass, one lane change at a time, lights on at night, highbeams off pretty much always, keep a safe following distance, zipper merge, not using on/off ramps to pass etc.
I see more clueless morons with their highbeams on than I do reckless speeders. I wish cops would pull over everyone driving on with their high beams on instead of running speeding ticket blitzes. What's worse is the people with their high beams on are generally the ones driving slow as well.
Dec 28, 2004
294 posts
48 upvotes
Done but I doubt the survey will do anything.

Added to the comment about:
Forget speed limit increase. This just allows for change in how enforcing officers now will not give as much buffer before booking your. This will allow easy revenue with minimum effort. They should concentrate on enforcing big lorries and casual drivers on the passing lanes. I think this would move traffic better. It does not matter if every lane is blocked. There will be no lane going fast since more than likely you will hit a wall where the speed is lower than 100kph.