• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2019 6:36 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1198 posts
434 upvotes
Vaughan
buriboi wrote: Huh???

I think you're confusing the beeradvocate.com word ratings for me personally saying something..which I'm not - I'm just reporting the data.

I don't control what the threshold is on beeradvocate.com for when a beer jumps from being listed as "poor" to "okay", or subsequently from "okay" to "good", etc....Here's their system so you know why one was "okay" while the other two were "poor":

4.50 - 5.00 = World-Class
4.25 - 4.49 = Outstanding
4.00 - 4.24 = Exceptional
3.75 - 3.99 = Very Good
3.50 - 3.74 = Good
3.00 - 3.49 = Okay
2.00 - 2.99 = Poor
1.00 - 1.99 = Awful
I intended no offense to you in your reporting. I'm just noting that beeradvocate.com has arbitrary value assignments. 2.99 / 5 is not significantly different than 3.01 / 5 in their scoring system. It's like saying a car with 59,000 km is lightly used while a car with 61,000 km is heavily used. The descriptive terms do no justice to the small mathematical value differences involved. Thanks for your reporting on qualitative data regarding these beers!

Mic
# D4HK
# FreeSpavor&KovrigNow
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1617 posts
281 upvotes
I'm old enough to remember when Waterloo was a premium priced beer.
I like their dark and the Amber is ok. Don't remember what the IPA tastes like so it's not super hoppy like Nickel Brook's beers.
Maybe with summer coming up I'll pickup a case of the dark for some basic beer and continue to spurge on the odd can of sours or whatever.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3458 posts
987 upvotes
buriboi wrote: For those wondering how these beer taste for $1.38 a bottle, here are the ratings, courtesy of beeradvocate.com, along with what that rating means (e.g poor, fair, good, world-class, etc..)

1. Waterloo IPA: 2.97/5 - "poor"
2. Waterloo Pilsner: 3.16/5 - "okay"
3. Waterloo Dark: 3.11/4 - "okay"

At that price, I would drink it when I'm going on a bender, but not to enjoy a good beer after work. :)
well, ratings are very very subjective, even from the "experts"
these are considered good beers. I'm a fan of Waterloo Dark.
These are too expensive for going on a bender. At regular price, Waterloo Dark is around $3 per tall boy can.
if you go on a bender, go with cheapo and tasteless molson or coors.

anyways, as I said the regular price is about $3 per tall can so this current sale is a REALLY REALLY great price.
Apr 8, 2019
11 posts
12 upvotes
It's no No Name 6 for $6, but I'd hop on it if I were going camping.
Sep 21, 2008
473 posts
421 upvotes
Yes - ratings are subjective. That said, when a community of experts mostly agree on something as average, it might be worth considering their collective opinion as potentially accurate.

If you consider them good beers, that's great - go nuts and enjoy them! More power to you!

Others, such as myself, consider all three of these macro-brewed and lacking in character or distinction.

To say that they are "too expensive" for a bender is obviously a matter of opinion, which is meaningless to argue.

Enjoy!

SomeOtherDude wrote: well, ratings are very very subjective, even from the "experts"
these are considered good beers. I'm a fan of Waterloo Dark.
These are too expensive for going on a bender. At regular price, Waterloo Dark is around $3 per tall boy can.
if you go on a bender, go with cheapo and tasteless molson or coors.

anyways, as I said the regular price is about $3 per tall can so this current sale is a REALLY REALLY great price.
Sep 21, 2008
473 posts
421 upvotes
No offence taken! I agree - there is no meaningful difference between 2.99 and 3.01. That said, if you want to categorize beer into a few neat and tidy groups (as beeradvocate clearly wants to do!), then you have to set the line somewhere...so I understand their point.

That said, the golden rule in all beer/liquor/wine threads is always the same:

Try it. If you like it, drink it. If not - don't. The end. :)

Enjoy all!

mobile_mic wrote: I intended no offense to you in your reporting. I'm just noting that beeradvocate.com has arbitrary value assignments. 2.99 / 5 is not significantly different than 3.01 / 5 in their scoring system. It's like saying a car with 59,000 km is lightly used while a car with 61,000 km is heavily used. The descriptive terms do no justice to the small mathematical value differences involved. Thanks for your reporting on qualitative data regarding these beers!

Mic
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3458 posts
987 upvotes
1gooddean wrote: It's no No Name 6 for $6, but I'd hop on it if I were going camping.
does beer generally have an expiry date?
Just get it, store it well, and it could last the summer
Jul 16, 2007
288 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. Picked up a 36 of IPA today and confirmed that only the IPA and Dark are $50 for 36. The original tweet showed the pilsner as well but it has now been replaced with the following:
Sep 21, 2008
473 posts
421 upvotes
Most beer stores well in the fridge for quite some time - easily until the end of the year, if you're concerned about stocking up for summer :)

That said, IPAs generally don't last as long because the hops have a more limited shelf life. They won't go "bad" per se - the flavor profile will just change, generally via a reduction in the intensity of the hoppiness.

:)
SomeOtherDude wrote: does beer generally have an expiry date?
Just get it, store it well, and it could last the summer