• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 10:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2798 posts
1827 upvotes

Ontario banning door-to-door sales of some goods as of March 1

Say goodbye to the salesperson knocking on your door to ask when you last cleaned your ducts.

A ban on unsolicited, door-to-door sales of select household appliances — such as furnaces or water heaters — will take effect March 1 in Ontario.

If you enter a contract in a door-to-door sale after that date, the agreement will be legally void and you'll be able to keep the goods and services with no obligations, the province said in a news release.
"One of my constituents said to me, 'We really need to do something to make sure people feel comfortable opening up their doors; that they feel secure in their own homes," he said at Queen's Park Friday.

The ban covers the sale of:

furnaces
air conditioners
air cleaners
air purifiers
water heaters
water treatment devices
water purifiers
water filters
water softeners
duct cleaning services
any good or service that performs or combines one or more of the above functions
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/o ... -1.4549181

Good on Ontario for taking on these scammers. Savvy RFDers can sign-up to get free junk. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
48 replies
Sep 27, 2003
10501 posts
2919 upvotes
Newmarket
Fantastic news, thanks for sharing OP!
RFD Forums Moderator
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4348 upvotes
So expect to see a lot of them come around over the next week to try to secure a sale before the new law kicks in... and a huge ramp-up in robocalls from India....
Nov 16, 2006
899 posts
383 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Good stuff but how about banning all door-to-door sellers who don't have an appointment? Stay away unless you're invited!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7444 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have window covering sales people knock on my door once a week.

I once opened the door and said no one is home and slammed the door on the guy’s face.
Sep 27, 2003
10501 posts
2919 upvotes
Newmarket
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Too bad I don't see energy contracts in there. Would love to get free gas and electricity :-)
Would that not be "any good or service that performs or combines one or more of the above functions"
RFD Forums Moderator
Banned
Feb 18, 2018
23 posts
4 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: So expect to see a lot of them come around over the next week to try to secure a sale before the new law kicks in... and a huge ramp-up in robocalls from India....

Agree. Its about time these guys were stopped. Ive had them come and they act like your provider actually sent them, been fooled couple times by them. I don't think they'll just stop, makes sense for them to just call.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1909 posts
590 upvotes
Ottawa
Support
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5074 posts
2256 upvotes
Gee wrote: I have window covering sales people knock on my door once a week.

I once opened the door and said no one is home and slammed the door on the guy’s face.
They can still see you because the windows aren't covered. They will be back.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21552 posts
3457 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Low hanging fruit. Needed to be done but of course we do nothing to the telecom and cable companies that constantly annoy me at my door hiding the true price of their "deals" till after the first 6 months. Same with gas company. Too bad we don't also ban those same companies from calling my phone and annoying me.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1409 posts
441 upvotes
Calgary
noway wrote: Good stuff but how about banning all door-to-door sellers who don't have an appointment? Stay away unless you're invited!
Cause I want my girl guide cookies.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7444 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
renoldman wrote: They can still see you because the windows aren't covered. They will be back.
I have 55 windows in my house. At $60 - $100 per window, I can’t afford any window coverings.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2221 posts
1451 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Too bad I don't see energy contracts in there. Would love to get free gas and electricity :-)
That was covered in different legislation in 2015: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/10e08#BK11

Door-to-door sales
9.1 (1) No supplier shall,
(a) sell or offer to sell electricity or gas to a consumer in person at the consumer’s home; or
(b) cause a salesperson to sell or offer to sell electricity or gas to a consumer in person at the consumer’s home. 2015, c. 29, s. 2.
Contract void
(2) A contract that is entered into as the result of a contravention of subsection (1) is deemed to be void in accordance with section 16. 2015, c. 29, s. 2.
“Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4104 posts
3609 upvotes
It's a great step in the right direction.

I'm amazed though that we need legislation to address a problem that is easily solved by consumers themselves. When someone knocks on your door - just don't open the door. It is very easy to ignore someone knocking on your door as it is to ignore a telephone ringing. We never respond to unexpected door knocks just as we never answer unknown telephone numbers.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1708 posts
2283 upvotes
Dark Phoenix wrote: Cause I want my girl guide cookies.
Maybe you can contact your local girl guide group and tell them you would like to place an order and pre-pay so they can be delivered upon receipt.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6420 posts
3440 upvotes
Mississauga
I haven't seen Girl Guide cookies being sold door-to-door in years around here. They just set up shop at the local Loblaws and hit all the shoppers coming and going.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7444 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
mrweather wrote: I haven't seen Girl Guide cookies being sold door-to-door in years around here. They just set up shop at the local Loblaws and hit all the shoppers coming and going.
I have co-workers bringing cases into the office and selling them.