Parenting & Family

Ontario Birth Certificate: Long form and short form have different registration #?

Sr. Member
May 12, 2014
880 posts
498 upvotes
Markham, ON
oakley0023 wrote: We also made the mistake of ordering the short form (initially saved us $ vs long form) vs the long form before knowing we needed the long form for our newborns passport (now we've spent $$$ twice).
Rookie mistake. I did the exact same thing.
Newbie
Jun 23, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Which is ridiculous! As Canadians a Canadian birth certicates should be more than fine! Money freakin grab, waste if time ! It's only ever needed for passports . I can't handle as Canadians we have to jump through hoops and always pay pay pay!!!!
Sr. Member
Apr 3, 2007
631 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone explain to me the difference between Long for and short form Birth Certificates?

I don't know which one to buy

Birth Certificate -$25 dollars (Short Form?)
Birth Certificate with Parental Information - $25 Dollars (Short Form or Long form?)
Certified Copy of Birth Certificate? - $35 (Long form or just something completely different?)

Thanks for the help!
Sr. Member
May 12, 2014
880 posts
498 upvotes
Markham, ON
Seoulkid wrote: Can someone explain to me the difference between Long for and short form Birth Certificates?

I don't know which one to buy

Birth Certificate -$25 dollars (Short Form?)
Birth Certificate with Parental Information - $25 Dollars (Short Form or Long form?)
Certified Copy of Birth Certificate? - $35 (Long form or just something completely different?)
If you ever want to get a passport in Ontario, get the long form.

The main difference is that the long for shows the parent's names while the short doesn't.
I originally ordered the short form, but was denied when applying for a passport and had to order the long form.
So with my second kid, I only ordered the long form.
Last edited by Bobberts on May 10th, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Apr 3, 2007
631 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Bobberts wrote: If you ever want to get a passport in Ontario, get the long form.

The main difference is that the long for shows the parent's names while the short doesn't.
I originally ordered the short form, but was denied when applying for a passport and had to order the long form.
So with my second kids, I only ordered the long form.
But which one is the long form?

Is it the Birth Certificate with Parental Information
or
Certified Copy of Birth Certificate?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2497 posts
369 upvotes
The number of friends/people i have inform them to make sure to get the long form, everyone was shock. Off topic also, the number of people I have to tell them to get a marriage license, most assume the priest/officiant gave it to them.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3929 posts
1152 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
yeah a lot of people do not know this. I basically did both short and long form cus you never know. its strange when i did my passport for both my kids, i put the short form birth certificate reg number on it and it went thru just fine,. so the long wan was a waste of money.

i want to order the new polymer birth certificate for myself and one of my kids, any easy way to do this?
Hi
Newbie
Mar 9, 2013
2 posts
Ottawa
Anyone knows which one the Long and Short one is?

When I applied for my newborns Birth Certificate it only gave me 2 options: Birth Certificate with Parental Information and Certified Copy of the Birth Registration. So I applied for the one with Parental Information. They sent me a Polymer based Birth Certificate.

I remember when my first one was born I had an option to select a long form online. We have to apply for our newborn's passport and I know they will reject it if we don't have the right Birth certificate!!
Newbie
Aug 12, 2016
2 posts
Hi,

I applied and received short form birth certificate but when i go for my baby passport they said they need long form birth certificate where it shows both parents name.

Now how i can apply for long form birth certificate with both parent name. When i go online it goes to same website and when i filled up it does not ask for long form option.

Please help.

Thanks
Mike
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2317 posts
1117 upvotes
Ottawa
therocky4 wrote: Anyone knows which one the Long and Short one is?

When I applied for my newborns Birth Certificate it only gave me 2 options: Birth Certificate with Parental Information and Certified Copy of the Birth Registration. So I applied for the one with Parental Information. They sent me a Polymer based Birth Certificate.

I remember when my first one was born I had an option to select a long form online. We have to apply for our newborn's passport and I know they will reject it if we don't have the right Birth certificate!!
With Parental information is the long form. Previously they were a piece of paper but now they are being standardized across Canada (Ontario adopted this in the last few years) and both long and short are polymer based and have the same look and feel as other provinces who have standardized birth certificates.

I think it is still useful to have two copies and the short form can be carried for more frequent use and not risk losing the long form certificate.
Sr. Member
Apr 4, 2012
525 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
manojkumar007 wrote: Hi,

I applied and received short form birth certificate but when i go for my baby passport they said they need long form birth certificate where it shows both parents name.

Now how i can apply for long form birth certificate with both parent name. When i go online it goes to same website and when i filled up it does not ask for long form option.

Please help.

Thanks
Mike
My daughters long form looks almost exactly like my sons Certified Copy of the Birth Registration, she was born 2 years ago, he was born this year, so that confused me too, must have changed it recently. I also have the birth certificate with parental information, it's cheaper and from what the website states you can use that for passport application if under 16
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3929 posts
1152 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I already have the long and short birth certificate for my daughter, can I order a new one of the short birth certificate for my daughter? and when I do will it render the old birth certificate invalid?
Hi
Newbie
Dec 11, 2018
2 posts
Hey guys, I recently ordered both the short form and long form birth certificates (at the same time) for my daughter. I received the short form but not the long form. Just wondering if both are shipped in the same package or if they ship them out separately. If its the latter, I am OK. If they ship together then someone messed up. I figured since I ordered them at the same time (part of the same application) that I would receive them together. Especially since I was told on the application that I cannot expedite the delivery if the order contains the long form as well. Meaning they probably ship them together. I am getting a little worried. Can someone please reply and help put my mind at ease? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2351 posts
1196 upvotes
Mississauga
AbeHash wrote: Hey guys, I recently ordered both the short form and long form birth certificates (at the same time) for my daughter. I received the short form but not the long form. Just wondering if both are shipped in the same package or if they ship them out separately. If its the latter, I am OK. If they ship together then someone messed up. I figured since I ordered them at the same time (part of the same application) that I would receive them together. Especially since I was told on the application that I cannot expedite the delivery if the order contains the long form as well. Meaning they probably ship them together. I am getting a little worried. Can someone please reply and help put my mind at ease? Thanks!
I think I got both in the same envelope. But then I had to chase Service Ontario and escalate it over their twitter handle since they were just sitting on my application for weeks. Looks like the processing clerk got some kicks from higher ups and my wife and I, both got calls the very next day from the clerk telling us that she has processed them and put them though mail. If you are unsure, give them a call. If you don't get a helpful response, escalate it using their twitter handle.
Newbie
Dec 11, 2018
2 posts
IndyBeak wrote: I think I got both in the same envelope. But then I had to chase Service Ontario and escalate it over their twitter handle since they were just sitting on my application for weeks. Looks like the processing clerk got some kicks from higher ups and my wife and I, both got calls the very next day from the clerk telling us that she has processed them and put them though mail. If you are unsure, give them a call. If you don't get a helpful response, escalate it using their twitter handle.
Thanks for the reply IndyBeak. I actually ended up getting the long form separately the very next day. So we're good. :)

Top