Parenting & Family

Ontario Birth Certificate: Long form and short form have different registration #?

Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19568 posts
4173 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
For anyone still following this, I just wanted to add the following information:

I ordered my own Ontario Long Form birth certificate, partially for kicks, and also because I only have the short form paper version.

From beginning to end, the whole process took 16 weeks. Face Screaming In Fear

This includes receiving postal mail from Service Ontario asking for more information, and mailing it back immediately through Canada Post. And then they sent out the Birth Certificate again via Canada Post, which was probably affected by post-strike backlogs.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20022 posts
2832 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Jucius Maximus wrote: For anyone still following this, I just wanted to add the following information:

I ordered my own Ontario Long Form birth certificate, partially for kicks, and also because I only have the short form paper version.

From beginning to end, the whole process took 16 weeks. Face Screaming In Fear

This includes receiving postal mail from Service Ontario asking for more information, and mailing it back immediately through Canada Post. And then they sent out the Birth Certificate again via Canada Post, which was probably affected by post-strike backlogs.
You can get it much quicker if you have a valid reason. I got one for my son in under a week. I think it was actually 4 days in total. We needed to get one to get a passport, had to get two passports in a week and a half since I ruined the first one about 3 hours after I picked it up...
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19568 posts
4173 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Evil Baby wrote: You can get it much quicker if you have a valid reason. I got one for my son in under a week. I think it was actually 4 days in total. We needed to get one to get a passport, had to get two passports in a week and a half since I ruined the first one about 3 hours after I picked it up...
Glad to hear it worked out for this time-sensitive situation.

I wonder if the fact that my parents were not born in Canada complicated things as well.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1109 posts
478 upvotes
York Region
My kids were born during the "Obama short form birth certificate" debacle in the states so I made sure to get both just in case they needed the long form in the future. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
we had got the long-form which is basically just a legal-sized paper with all the details, we used that for applying his passport.
HealthCard with no photo, its valid 2 yrs initially
Penalty Box
Jan 26, 2017
849 posts
896 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote: With Parental information is the long form. Previously they were a piece of paper but now they are being standardized across Canada (Ontario adopted this in the last few years) and both long and short are polymer based and have the same look and feel as other provinces who have standardized birth certificates.

I think it is still useful to have two copies and the short form can be carried for more frequent use and not risk losing the long form certificate.
I have the long form that is basically on a piece of paper. You mentioned the Long form is now on polymer paper. If I request to exchange my paper version to polymer would they give this to me, FREE?
Probably a dumb question since this entire birth certifate thingy is such a cash grab lol
Anyone done this before?
Jan 3, 2019
4 posts
Hi Can someone confirm that in order to Apply for First time SIN Number by MAIL, the child is just over 18.
Child will sign and send printed Application. Do we need to send SHORT FORM or LONG FORM of Birth certificate?
I know it will be returned, but it cost more to get LONG FORM, in case it is lost in post.

If it is OK, we prefer to send SHORT FORM. But don't want to lose cycle time if they really need Long Form. It is not clarified in their Website or in the Application Instructions.

Thanks for any help/ guidance !!
Susheel
Nov 10, 2013
75 posts
58 upvotes
TORONTO
Also jumping in with a question...

Daughter was born in Oct and I've received the birth form that I ordered. I ordered the "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" the $35 third option. Chose it merely because it was most expensive and said "certified" so it sounded best. Bit dumb in hindsight but we were sleep deprived as hell.

I didn't realize that this was something unique or extraordinary until after I received it and googled what we have.

As per: https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/e ... ndLongForm

A Certified Copy of the Birth Registration contains the following information:

Subject name
Subject date of birth
Birthplace (city, town, village, municipality)
Sex
Location of birth (hospital, birthing centre, etc.,)
Parent(s) name(s)
Parent(s) date(s) of birth
Parent mailing address at the time of birth
Duration of the pregnancy
Number of children born to this mother
Parent(s) place(s) of birth
Weight of the child at birth
Type of birth (single, multiple, etc.,)
Attendant at the birth
Date of Registration
Registration number
Date issued

Which is a ton more info than the other forms. I called Service Ontario and they said it works fine as a Birth Certificate. Passport website also says I can use it to get baby a passport.

Should I be concerned though? Did anyone encounter problems because they got the "Certified copy" option?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1086 posts
683 upvotes
playerhayter wrote: Also jumping in with a question...

Daughter was born in Oct and I've received the birth form that I ordered. I ordered the "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" the $35 third option. Chose it merely because it was most expensive and said "certified" so it sounded best. Bit dumb in hindsight but we were sleep deprived as hell.

I didn't realize that this was something unique or extraordinary until after I received it and googled what we have.

As per: https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/e ... ndLongForm

A Certified Copy of the Birth Registration contains the following information:

Subject name
Subject date of birth
Birthplace (city, town, village, municipality)
Sex
Location of birth (hospital, birthing centre, etc.,)
Parent(s) name(s)
Parent(s) date(s) of birth
Parent mailing address at the time of birth
Duration of the pregnancy
Number of children born to this mother
Parent(s) place(s) of birth
Weight of the child at birth
Type of birth (single, multiple, etc.,)
Attendant at the birth
Date of Registration
Registration number
Date issued

Which is a ton more info than the other forms. I called Service Ontario and they said it works fine as a Birth Certificate. Passport website also says I can use it to get baby a passport.

Should I be concerned though? Did anyone encounter problems because they got the "Certified copy" option?
you NEED the "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" to get a passport in Ontario. The other 2 will not work.
Nov 10, 2013
75 posts
58 upvotes
TORONTO
asifnana wrote: you NEED the "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" to get a passport in Ontario. The other 2 will not work.
I'm afraid that is not accurate. As you can see from the link
https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/e ... ndLongForm

... the 2nd option of the 3, the longer form "birth certificate with parental information" works for Child Passport and Adult Passport. The first option, the standard short form Birth Certificate is fine for Adult passport but not Child passport.

The third option "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" I'm talking about is detailed on the page. I know you CAN get a Child passport with the "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" as the passport office says it ok. However this page also states:
Given the amount of information contained in a Certified Copy of a Birth Registration it is not recommended to share this document unless expressly required.

So my question is more, should I be concerned given that official warning and the fact that I've accidentally opted for an unusual type of certificate.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1086 posts
683 upvotes
playerhayter wrote: I'm afraid that is not accurate. As you can see from the link
https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/e ... ndLongForm

... the 2nd option of the 3, the longer form "birth certificate with parental information" works for Child Passport and Adult Passport. The first option, the standard short form Birth Certificate is fine for Adult passport but not Child passport.

The third option "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" I'm talking about is detailed on the page. I know you CAN get a Child passport with the "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" as the passport office says it ok. However this page also states:
Given the amount of information contained in a Certified Copy of a Birth Registration it is not recommended to share this document unless expressly required.

So my question is more, should I be concerned given that official warning and the fact that I've accidentally opted for an unusual type of certificate.

Thanks
Yes this is true ONLY if the first and last name of both parents at birth are the same when the child was born. If any of the two parents changed first or last name then you need the "Certified Copy of Birth Registration".
Oct 17, 2002
875 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
Just a quick update. Finally received the birth certificate (with parental info) and SIN (odd... had no idea the no longer do SIN cards anymore? just a piece of paper with the number?) yesterday!

So in all, it was pretty much 16 weeks! (I completed the bundle registration all the way back on September 21)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
sjalali wrote: Hi Can someone confirm that in order to Apply for First time SIN Number by MAIL, the child is just over 18.
Child will sign and send printed Application. Do we need to send SHORT FORM or LONG FORM of Birth certificate?
I know it will be returned, but it cost more to get LONG FORM, in case it is lost in post.

If it is OK, we prefer to send SHORT FORM. But don't want to lose cycle time if they really need Long Form. It is not clarified in their Website or in the Application Instructions.

Thanks for any help/ guidance !!
Susheel
Better to make a trip to a ServiceCanada office and get it in person, much easier
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3178 posts
542 upvotes
Trying to fill out my kid's passport form now and a little confused. There's a section for the Birth Certificate Registration number. I have a Certified Copy of Birth Registration... which is the Registration number? The red printed numbers beside the Certificate number: "Pxxxxxxx". There's a line that says "Registration Number" but no number immediately following it.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3929 posts
1152 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I want to replace my kids paper birth certificate with the polymer one. is this easy to do? and incase anyone asks, yes elementary schools do not need the long berth certificate they require the short ones.
Hi