Wheels and Tires

Ontario - Can I have a different address on my license and insurance?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2019 8:54 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
1 posts

Ontario - Can I have a different address on my license and insurance?

I’m moving out of my parents house soon from Kitchener to Mississauga for a year. I’ve called my insurance company and gotten my policy changed to be rated based on my Mississauga address, so that’s all good but do I need to change my driver’s license address and vehicle permit to match that? I still plan on splitting my time between Kitchener and Mississauga 25/75, and if I’m back in a year I don’t really want to go through the hassle of changing all my addresses and then changing them back.

My insurance broker says they won’t care because I’m being accurately rated based on where the car is staying overnight mostly (Mississauga) but some police officers might issue me a ticket for not having the right address if they’re having a bad day.

Does anyone have any insight into this?
6 replies
Sep 25, 2018
552 posts
1045 upvotes
It costs nothing to change your driver's license address. I'd say just do it.

The only time I wouldn't bother changing the address is when I don't have a car.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3017 posts
3134 upvotes
GTA
I had to change my driver's license address before insurance would change my rating area. Not sure how/why your insurance company allowed it.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1850 posts
1735 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You're not supposed to but you can get away with not changing it as long as insurance is aware and you're planning on moving back.

I've gotten scolded by a police officer for not changing my permit address. I only changed my drivers license since drivers license you can change online easily, but the permit you have to go stand in line at the MTO and it takes hours. And then having to change it back in a year? Nah.

When i permanently moved out of my parents house i changed everything. When i was moving around a lot for school i left everything as my parents address. Insurance was always aware of the address i was living at and adjusted my rates accordingly. They never cared what my drivers license said as long as the information they have was correct.

Most of the kids that go out of town for university do the same thing.
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
899 posts
450 upvotes
i moved out of my parents home.
my insurance is at my house.
my DL and car registration is at my parents house.

Does it even matter? I don't understand why the police care.
Feb 24, 2016
123 posts
135 upvotes
I got a ticket for it years ago after getting pulled over...