Automotive

[Ontario] Can we use more than one auto insurance company for cars in the same household?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2017 10:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52760 posts
17531 upvotes

[Ontario] Can we use more than one auto insurance company for cars in the same household?

Are we allowed to use two or more auto insurance companies to cover cars in the same household or do they have to be insured with the same insurance company?

I'm asking because our daughter will be taking her written/knowledge exam soon and I was told that because we have three cars, her name has to be on all three with her being the principal driver of one of them.

While she has her G1, this will not impact the insurance premiums but once she gets her G2, I think it will.

We are limiting her to use of just one of three vehicles (the latest with some additional safety features) and was wondering if we can do the following to limit premium increases since she will really be an occasional driver of even that one car.

1. For current insurance company - take away one car and sign a waiver that she will not be driving any of the two vehicles

2. I'm not sure if she still has to be a principal driver on this third car if we remove the third car from the first insurance co. coverage and insure it over another insurance company

One of our cars is manual transmission (the infamous 02 Civic :) ) so what if leave that as one of the two cars (the other being the car she will be driving) with my current insurance provider, can I specify that she only be driving one of the two cars since she can't drive stick? And on the other insurance provider, I sign a waiver that she will not be touching the car?

Any legal workaround to make such a thing work with a three car household, two drivers and one student driver? If there is none, I will get rid of one of our cars to bring it down to two.

Thank you.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Jan 19th, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2020 posts
376 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
3 cars with 3 drivers means everyone is a principal driver on atleast one car.

However, weather she is a secondary driver on 1 vehicle or 3 does not make much of a difference.
I think, no matter what way you go about this the difference in $ will be about the same.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52760 posts
17531 upvotes
Hmmm. Seems it is possible.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... le8183504/

There’s a way around paying for occasional drivers – fill out Ontario’s excluded driver endorsement form and exclude your son from your policy. He will have to sign too, agreeing that he won’t be covered for your vehicle. You can do the same for your wife.

You won’t have to pay for the excluded driver, but if that driver ever does take your car out, he (and your car) won’t have insurance coverage. If there was an accident, he could be sued.

https://www.ratelab.ca/excluding-my-spouse/
Special Situations

Even if you are both good drivers, there are special situations that may require that you keep separate policies. For instance, if your spouse drives a high-performance car and you drive a minivan, you may want separate policies. If you buy auto insurance together, your rates will increase to cover the greater risk of a luxury vehicle.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52760 posts
17531 upvotes
Mr_Dogg wrote: 3 cars with 3 drivers means everyone is a principal driver on atleast one car.

However, weather she is a secondary driver on 1 vehicle or 3 does not make much of a difference.
I think, no matter what way you go about this the difference in $ will be about the same.
Yes to your first point, that's what I've been told by one broker but in reality, that's not what's going to happen. In many households, the young driver still drives the family cars a lot less frequently. The only reason I'm keeping the third car is it doesn't hold a lot of value but it's still reliable enough to get me from point a to b.

As for your second point, I can experiment on sonnet insurance or others that offer online quotes and see what happens.

http://local-insurance.ca/insurance-bro ... ce-ontario
Q: My son or daughter is turning 16 and getting his or her G1 license. Do I need to add him or her to my auto insurance policy as a listed driver and will there be a cost to doing so?

A: When your child obtains their G1 License it is wise, but not mandatory, to advise your insurance broker of your child’s achievement. There will be no increase in your insurance cost while your child holds their G1 license, however when they obtain their G2 license they must be accounted for on your auto insurance policy, and a premium charge will be applied to your policy. How much this charge is will be is dependent on the number of vehicles and drivers that already exist in your household. Contact your insurance broker so they can advise you on options
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1048 posts
395 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
alanbrenton wrote: Are we allowed to use two or more auto insurance companies to cover cars in the same household or do they have to be insured with the same insurance company?

I'm asking because our daughter will be taking her written/knowledge exam soon and I was told that because we have three cars, her name has to be on all three with her being the principal driver of one of them.

While she has her G1, this will not impact the insurance premiums but once she gets her G2, I think it will.

We are limiting her to use of just one of three vehicles (the latest with some additional safety features) and was wondering if we can do the following to limit premium increases since she will really be an occasional driver of even that one car.

1. For current insurance company - take away one car and sign a waiver that she will not be driving any of the two vehicles

2. I'm not sure if she still has to be a principal driver on this third car if we remove the third car from the first insurance co. coverage and insure it over another insurance company

One of our cars is manual transmission (the infamous 02 Civic :) ) so what if leave that as one of the two cars (the other being the car she will be driving) with my current insurance provider, can I specify that she only be driving one of the two cars since she can't drive stick? And on the other insurance provider, I sign a waiver that she will not be touching the car?

Any legal workaround to make such a thing work with a three car household, two drivers and one student driver? If there is none, I will get rid of one of our cars to bring it down to two.

Thank you.
The potential insurer is going to pull your Autoplus and realize you have 3 vehicles in the same household with 3 drivers.

No legal workaround unless your current insurer (hopefully they have your home insurance too and you have been a profitable client) provides you with a concession, you won't get a concession as new business with a new company.
Last edited by RobertSmalls008 on Jan 19th, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8551 posts
1270 upvotes
Ontario
yes you can insure all your vehicles with separate companies; HOWEVER; you will need to disclose each company to each insurer, therefore; they will all know you have 3 cars, 3 drivers...

it will also show up on the auto plus report... AND when you complete an auto application, you must list how many lic'd drivers you have in the household...
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52760 posts
17531 upvotes
Perfect, I now have a reason to dispose of the third car. :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5032 posts
1839 upvotes
Toronto
Who is your broker?

What is the purpose of the Civic? Is it just a weekend warrior? Driven only in the summer or all year?

My dad had a second car for summer fun. When I became of legal age to drive, he was allowed to keep both cars as his primary, because he only added coverage to the summer car in the summer. This was with Unifund.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52760 posts
17531 upvotes
I'm with TD Meloche Monnex and on the auto side, have really not claimed anything since 2008/9 with 20+ years of driving. Home claim was not at fault.

The purpose of the Civic is to get me from home to the school/daycare and then to the Go Train Station. I also pick up my daughter from her part-time work and when I do personal errands. I use the Civic because I know that driving short distances is not too good for cars and so I'd rather not subject the other cars in the household to this kind of punishment. Winter without lots of slush is a good use of the car too but it doesn't have ABS or traction control so it can slide in some cases.

I am only paying $650 for insurance on the Civic so it's not a biggie but I fear that my rate will go up if I have to put her on the three vehicles or at least on one as a primary.

Our second card is a two-door Accord and this was bought before we had this little bundle of joy. So it's more of hassle to take her out and put her in the car seat at the back but it's doable.

Our Civic comes with a manual transmission and my daughter will not want to learn to drive it. I was thinking TDMM may give me some leeway because of this -- she can only drive two of three cars and if the two designate my wife and myself as primary, then just maybe my daughter doesn't need to be put as a primary driver.

We intend to only lend (occasionally) her my wife's RAV4 since it has the most safety features and because it has depreciation offset for the next four years so we will apply for that exclusion clause.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4686 posts
2250 upvotes
Toronto
What city are you in that you pay only $650 a year for a civic?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8551 posts
1270 upvotes
Ontario
rates are excellent here!
alanbrenton wrote: Burlington/Oakville
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8551 posts
1270 upvotes
Ontario
doubtful that you will get an OK by the insurance company to not put daughter on 1 of the 3 vehicles because of it being a manual.
if you use the OPCF 28a for your daughter, it will most likely exclude her from all the vehicles if they are on the same policy...

alanbrenton wrote: I'm with TD Meloche Monnex and on the auto side, have really not claimed anything since 2008/9 with 20+ years of driving. Home claim was not at fault.

The purpose of the Civic is to get me from home to the school/daycare and then to the Go Train Station. I also pick up my daughter from her part-time work and when I do personal errands. I use the Civic because I know that driving short distances is not too good for cars and so I'd rather not subject the other cars in the household to this kind of punishment. Winter without lots of slush is a good use of the car too but it doesn't have ABS or traction control so it can slide in some cases.

I am only paying $650 for insurance on the Civic so it's not a biggie but I fear that my rate will go up if I have to put her on the three vehicles or at least on one as a primary.

Our second card is a two-door Accord and this was bought before we had this little bundle of joy. So it's more of hassle to take her out and put her in the car seat at the back but it's doable.

Our Civic comes with a manual transmission and my daughter will not want to learn to drive it. I was thinking TDMM may give me some leeway because of this -- she can only drive two of three cars and if the two designate my wife and myself as primary, then just maybe my daughter doesn't need to be put as a primary driver.

We intend to only lend (occasionally) her my wife's RAV4 since it has the most safety features and because it has depreciation offset for the next four years so we will apply for that exclusion clause.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52760 posts
17531 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote: doubtful that you will get an OK by the insurance company to not put daughter on 1 of the 3 vehicles because of it being a manual.
if you use the OPCF 28a for your daughter, it will most likely exclude her from all the vehicles if they are on the same policy...
I see. And multi product discounts are based at the policy level and not aggregrate of policies held at the same insurer?

I will get in touch with TDMM and post back.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8551 posts
1270 upvotes
Ontario
usually when you insure all vehicles with the same company, you will get a multi vehicle discount, but not if they are with different insurers.
alanbrenton wrote: I see. And multi product discounts are based at the policy level and not aggregrate of policies held at the same insurer?

I will get in touch with TDMM and post back.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)