[OP]
Sep 8, 2014
704 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Ontario Canada : overnight 2c/kWh EV charging price plan

Ontario Canada : overnight 2c/kWh EV charging price plan

https://www.powerstream.ca/innovation/a ... icing.html

A subset of Ontario utility companies are participating in a program to provide flexible price plans.

Quote : "Phase 1 - Risk free, save up to $500
September 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017
During the first phase, you will be able to
earn savings by taking advantage of the new
trial rates. At the end of this phase, you will
receive an on-bill credit for the amount that
you’ve saved over this period, up to a maximum
of $500."
109 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
2920 posts
264 upvotes
This plus a Power Wall means cheap electricity for the whole day.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4734 posts
2530 upvotes
Kitchener
Can I get on this plan if I'm in Kitchener? I'm pretty sure I can't. I use LOTS of off peak hours, I would love them to be priced at $0.02......even if that means higher on peak costs. I mean, my current bill isn't bad......around $130 to $150/month and that includes about 2500km of driving my electric car every month.

This type of overnight plan could reduce the cost of charging my Nissan Leaf EV to $10/month.....from the current $50/month I pay........from the previous $350/month for gasoline I used to use to drive my 10L/100km average fuel economy sedan.

This type of plan might make the Tesla Powerwall make financial sense. I would be 100% in if the Powerwall actually paid for itself.
Last edited by IntrepidRT on Aug 29th, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dec 16, 2012
543 posts
172 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Isn't a power wall like 5500 usd, and I think Tesla says you need 3 and it wouldn't be able to keep up with all appliances...I dont think the cost Vs savings would make sense... Man we pay too much for electricity in this province.

B
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4734 posts
2530 upvotes
Kitchener
KillerX wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 2:05 pm
Isn't a power wall like 5500 usd, and I think Tesla says you need 3 and it wouldn't be able to keep up with all appliances...I dont think the cost Vs savings would make sense... Man we pay too much for electricity in this province.
LOL, electricity is actually super CHEAP........compare it to gasoline. Definitely heat your home with natural gas though. The Powerwall math to buy one MIGHT work at a $0.02/kWh rate.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2108 posts
1176 upvotes
Toronto
goob3r wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 1:59 pm
This plus a Power Wall means cheap electricity for the whole day.
Yeah but the price for that is steep, $17K for a four bedroom home power wall and only half is usable if I read correctly.

I still don't trust these prices cause it was created by the Liberals!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Sep 15, 2013
51 posts
7 upvotes
KillerX wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 2:05 pm

B
I got a call from Tesla last month asking if I was interested in It still. They quoted me in the $9k's (don't remember exact numbers), for 11kw worth of power wall (installed)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4734 posts
2530 upvotes
Kitchener
some1not wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 2:08 pm
Yeah but the price for that is steep, $17K for a four bedroom home power wall and only half is usable if I read correctly.

Better to just start with one I'd think........around $10k installed.
Last edited by IntrepidRT on Aug 29th, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 16, 2012
543 posts
172 upvotes
Barrie, ON
IntrepidRT wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 2:07 pm
LOL, electricity is actually super CHEAP........compare it to gasoline. Definitely heat your home with natural gas though. The Powerwall math to buy one MIGHT work at a $0.02/kWh rate.
Did you even read my post? I said nothing about gasoline vs electricity.

"Man we pay too much for electricity in this province."

B :)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4734 posts
2530 upvotes
Kitchener
KillerX wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 2:13 pm
Did you even read my post? I said nothing about gasoline vs electricity.

"Man we pay too much for electricity in this province."
Versus other provinces with higher rates than ours or versus much more expensive states like New York, Michigan and California?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14660 posts
5855 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 2:16 pm
Versus other provinces with higher rates than ours or versus much more expensive states like New York, Michigan and California?
Have a look at Quebec if you want to see a properly managed and intelligently created power system. I know someone with connections to how things work in Ontario and he told me that it's all created due to partisan politics. They aren't making decisions in the best interest of the public good. There are very smart minds in Ontario that know how to do things right but politics have gotten in the way, unfortunately.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4734 posts
2530 upvotes
Kitchener
SickBeast wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 2:21 pm
Have a look at Quebec if you want to see a properly managed and intelligently created power system. I know someone with connections to how things work in Ontario and he told me that it's all created due to partisan politics. They aren't making decisions in the best interest of the public good. There are very smart minds in Ontario that know how to do things right but politics have gotten in the way, unfortunately.
Quebec is ALL cheap renewables.......Ontario is NOT. We're going that way though. Pretty hard when we can't just get it all from water like Quebec can. Ontario policies really went downhill with Harris.......and every government has been passing costs to the next government since. Liberals tried to spend money to save money in the long term and people went nuts........so we're back to kicking the can again with the 25% discount, yay. By investing in solar and Powerwalls, I expect to be mostly off the grid before that comes back to bite me anyways.

You often NEED to spend money upfront to save money in the long term, but the average person doesn't seem to understand how that works.
Last edited by IntrepidRT on Aug 29th, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May 3, 2008
967 posts
318 upvotes
Perth
some1not wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 2:08 pm

Keep your politics to yourself please.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4734 posts
2530 upvotes
Kitchener
Seriously, is this available outside of Vaughn?