• Apr 28th, 2019 9:45 am
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
4729 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ducky wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 1:55 pm

you comparing food court bbt to Taiwan franchises.,..

it's like vending machine coffee vs starbucks
bobohobo2kx wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 2:47 pm
The big franchise bubble tea shops were never $1.99 regular price, more like $3.99 - $4.50. There were mom and pop/independent bubble tea shops that sold them for $1.99 though.
It was.
I remember I was drinking it in like TeaShop 168 for $1.99 regular price before.
I think ever since something like chattime came up, bbt became a higher end drink and all of a sudden everyone is charging for more.
Once people got used to the new price, it becomes the new normal.
As a matter of fact, when I go to restaurant these days, I am shocked by the price. I feel like everything is at least 40% more.
Perhaps that is only because I am poor and cant afford eating out anymore.
Or because I was rfding too much and buying too much stuff that I do not need. haha.

Update: I found in some review from TeaShop 168 to prove that it was $1.99
Last edited by theflyingsquirrel on Apr 26th, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Jan 19, 2018
398 posts
244 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 12:59 pm
I am not sure if how many people really know this, but originally from Taiwan,tapioca was designed for poor people to fill the stomach. Now, it becomes an high end décor for the drink that most people don't finish.
Tapioca is simply the starch (raw ingredient) extracted from the plant. Tapioca balls (Taiwanese origin) on the other hand was always designed to be a high end dessert. Most common story states that it was originally used as a tribute from the Taiwanese government to the Empress Dowager Cixi during the Qing dynasty.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
4729 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bobohobo2kx wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 3:03 pm
Tapioca is simply the starch (raw ingredient) extracted from the plant. Tapioca balls (Taiwanese origin) on the other hand was always designed to be a high end dessert. Most common story states that it was originally used as a tribute from the Taiwanese government to the Empress Dowager Cixi during the Qing dynasty.
Interesting.
The story I heard is that since Tapioca is rich in carb, people eat it to fill the stomach to provide energy for working the full day.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Jan 19, 2018
398 posts
244 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 3:02 pm
It was.
I remember I was drinking it in like TeaShop 168 for $1.99 regular price before.
I think ever since something like chattime came up, bbt became a higher end drink and all of a sudden everyone is charging for more.
As a matter of fact, when I go to restaurant these days, I am shocked by the price. I feel like everything is at least 40% more.
Or because I was rfding too much and buying too much stuff that I do not need. haha.

Thanks for the screenshot. I almost never go to TeaShop 168 as I was put off by their powered flavors. I wasn't aware they had them as cheap as $1.99. But I still wouldn't go there for bubble tea haha.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49357 posts
14614 upvotes
I haven't had this drink for more then four years since I always remember these sell for NT$35 in Taiwan lol.

I was over in Waterloo to bring our daughter's stuff home when I told her about the promotion and so bought a couple.

They also accept Amex so maybe I will get my first $5 credit.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4534 posts
185 upvotes
GTA
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 1:03 pm
Ain't tapioca bad for your health?
drinking all that palm oil creamer is probably worse for us than the tapioca
Apr 2, 2015
177 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 1:03 pm
Ain't tapioca bad for your health?
Not really. Bubble tea tapioca balls are simmered in sugar syrup though so they are unhealthy for that reason.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1174 posts
223 upvotes
Brampton
Can't stand tapioca. I find it gross. The weird thing is this place is the only place that has a sign strictly stating toppings cannot be replaced, increased or decreased. I've requested them to put no tapioca or less before and they've been very rude about it being a requirement. for their drinks if it's included.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5143 posts
1034 upvotes
Mississauga
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 3:02 pm
It was.

teashop 168 is as good as supermarket bbt..lol
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
6809 posts
2089 upvotes
Toronto
Only a few hours left for this deal.. some CoCo closes as late as 1 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
6809 posts
2089 upvotes
Toronto
endokuken wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 5:49 pm
Can't stand tapioca. I find it gross. The weird thing is this place is the only place that has a sign strictly stating toppings cannot be replaced, increased or decreased. I've requested them to put no tapioca or less before and they've been very rude about it being a requirement. for their drinks if it's included.
That is so weird. Why not less tapioca upon request ? Thinking FaceThinking Face
Oct 27, 2016
18 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Went to the one at Yonge and Finch at around 8:30. Line was about 20mins. Really good bubble tea, been craving it recently.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
4729 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
endokuken wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 5:49 pm
May be you can ask for tapioca on the side?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1174 posts
223 upvotes
Brampton
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 12:25 am
May be you can ask for tapioca on the side?
Pretty sure they won't do that. They have a mass amount of cups with tapioca already in each cup and they won't accommodate any type of requests thatdiffer from what they have already set. The only thing they let you choose is the sugar and ice levels.

I've had this discussion with numerous people and they all agree its ridiculous that we can't have the option to not have tapioca or have less as it should mean they are using less ingredients so they should be saving money. If anyone here has tried and been successful at having them lessen or remove the tapioca amount, I'd like to know how they were able to do so as they seem very strict about this as silly as it seems.

Personally I prefer having jelly over tapioca, even if there is an additional cost to it but they wouldn't even let me do that.
Nov 7, 2010
22 posts
3 upvotes
It's a promotion on the Pearl Milk tea only. Pearl Milk Tea has to have tapioca in it. That's why it's called Pearl Milk tea. There was an option where you do not have to get that $2.20 special. You can purchase the Coco Milk tea instead but it would cost more cuz it's not on the promotion.$2.20 is a steal specially in Toronto cuz most bubble tea joints cost way more than that. I find that COCO actually give a good amount of tapiocas compare to some bubble tea places. Also you should be thankful that they gave this offer cuz some places do not offer Pearl Milk tea on the menu and you have to purchase the milk tea and then pay extra $ just to add toppings to it.