• Apr 28th, 2019 9:45 am
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1038 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
Supahhh wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 9:49 pm
If youre gonna wait 40 minutes in line for something you can make anywhere in less than 5.

https://healthynibblesandbits.com/how-t ... ubble-tea/
While I wouldn't wait 40 mins (well not even 10 minutes), but less than 5? And also importantly: anywhere?

From the link you provided, the author says 2h and 10mins (prep and cooking) - While it may not take that long, and I do realise you used 5 in a hyperbolic way, it surely would take easily an hour (not even counting shopping for ingredients);

And not everywhere, I'd need access to a decently equipped kitchen, as I doubt many would have at their offices, schools. so pretty much at home only.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4535 posts
185 upvotes
GTA
happycatmeows wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 6:23 pm
Went to the Unionville location at 3:20 today. Waited 20 minutes in line, then another 5 minutes to get my 6 pearl milk tea. Total 25 minutes. Faster than some Chatime line ups!!
Damn.. waiting for 25 minutes for BBT? You Coco!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3091 posts
2229 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yonge/Weldrick (Richmond Hill) has no line at the moment.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
6818 posts
2111 upvotes
Toronto
happycatmeows wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 6:23 pm
Went to the Unionville location at 3:20 today. Waited 20 minutes in line, then another 5 minutes to get my 6 pearl milk tea. Total 25 minutes. Faster than some Chatime line ups!!
Yeap some chatime or even the alley have super longer lines than that
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2740 posts
338 upvotes
Waterloo
neonic wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 6:49 pm
While I wouldn't wait 40 mins (well not even 10 minutes), but less than 5? And also importantly: anywhere?

From the link you provided, the author says 2h and 10mins (prep and cooking) - While it may not take that long, and I do realise you used 5 in a hyperbolic way, it surely would take easily an hour (not even counting shopping for ingredients);

And not everywhere, I'd need access to a decently equipped kitchen, as I doubt many would have at their offices, schools. so pretty much at home only.

nope I didnt use it a hyperbole way.

Longest process author uses is boiling tapioca for 5 minutes.you can do the tea while Tapioca is boiling , so after that its just putting Tapioca in Tea and putting ice in it. = ready in 5 minutes.

and YES anywhere if you plan ahead. Carry the prepared tapioca with you , and anywhere you can get tea, you have bubble tea!

No Idea why Author used 2:10 as time required. I saw that too. It must have the time taken to write the article.
Nov 1, 2012
254 posts
63 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Was at the location in Hamilton around 9:30 and it was packed. Total amount of time was about 15 minutes.

Felt sorry for the employees but they were all very efficient and seemed relatively calm. Just wanted to give some props to those employees.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6622 posts
2464 upvotes
Toronto
Line in Scarborough wraps around 2 lengths of the store, my guess is at least 1h wait. Was only one length when I arrived. Avoid.

Photos of the carnage (line became 2x this, wrapping around the table and back to the front)
Images
  • P_20190425_213847.jpg
  • P_20190425_220123.jpg
Last edited by Angultra on Apr 25th, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 14, 2006
596 posts
160 upvotes
This is a stretch, and you're not accounting for prep time, cleaning after, use of resources, etc.
All the power to you if you want to carry around a baggy of prepared pearls. Slush would also require mix, ice, and a blender.
There's no doubt that it's a cash cow at the prices that are being charged, but trendy drinks are generally like that?
I even cringe at the price of a refrigerated bottled drink at convenience places.
Regardless, I'm now inspired to try these at home again, with mix and tapioca from T&T.
Supahhh wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 9:02 pm
nope I didnt use it a hyperbole way.

Longest process author uses is boiling tapioca for 5 minutes.you can do the tea while Tapioca is boiling , so after that its just putting Tapioca in Tea and putting ice in it. = ready in 5 minutes.

and YES anywhere if you plan ahead. Carry the prepared tapioca with you , and anywhere you can get tea, you have bubble tea!

No Idea why Author used 2:10 as time required. I saw that too. It must have the time taken to write the article.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2740 posts
338 upvotes
Waterloo
Torque wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 10:15 pm
This is a stretch, and you're not accounting for prep time, cleaning after, use of resources, etc.
All the power to you if you want to carry around a baggy of prepared pearls. Slush would also require mix, ice, and a blender.
There's no doubt that it's a cash cow at the prices that are being charged, but trendy drinks are generally like that?
I even cringe at the price of a refrigerated bottled drink at convenience places.
Regardless, I'm now inspired to try these at home again, with mix and tapioca from T&T.
OK Maybe I wasnt clear.

you can prepare for it; before hand.
Just like you make a cup of regular tea in 5 minutes. you have prep and then when you want to have it. You make it in 5 minutes.

Ice is available at any fridge. tea is also available where ever there is a fridge.

Im not trying to suggest you make it at a sidewalk.

I have nothing against them selling it at whatever price.
Nov 7, 2010
22 posts
3 upvotes
I can't believe I got lucky twice. I went with my friend on the first day and there was no line. But right after we ordered our drinks there was a huge line all the way to the door. On the second day I went by myself. It was like about 4-5 people ahead of me. But it only took about 5 minutes. And then after I ordered my drink, there's another huge line.
Dec 14, 2006
596 posts
160 upvotes
I think that we all understand, but it's just not very reasonable or practical.

It's partly an experience as well. People can also make their normal tea and coffee, but Tim's is always busy.
Anyways, to each their own. It's all good.
Supahhh wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 12:27 am
OK Maybe I wasnt clear.

you can prepare for it; before hand.
Just like you make a cup of regular tea in 5 minutes. you have prep and then when you want to have it. You make it in 5 minutes.

Ice is available at any fridge. tea is also available where ever there is a fridge.

Im not trying to suggest you make it at a sidewalk.

I have nothing against them selling it at whatever price.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2740 posts
338 upvotes
Waterloo
Torque wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 1:40 am
I think that we all understand, but it's just not very reasonable or practical.

It's partly an experience as well. People can also make their normal tea and coffee, but Tim's is always busy.
Anyways, to each their own. It's all good.
Lots of people do actually make their own tea. Tim's Tea is horrible ( so is their coffee )its only a last resort sort of thing.
Dec 14, 2006
596 posts
160 upvotes
Yes, I make my own regular tea daily.
Taste is obviously very subjective.
I like Tim's, but I don't drink it black.
That's another entire discussion on brands of tea bags. :)
I couldn't say on coffee. It all tastes like sewage to me.
Supahhh wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 1:50 am
Lots of people do actually make their own tea. Tim's Tea is horrible ( so is their coffee )its only a last resort sort of thing.