Shopping Discussion

Ontario Costco lovers... Whats your first non-essential purchase on Friday?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2021 10:23 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6382 posts
5751 upvotes
tew wrote: Wow, I haven't seen lines that long for over a year. Last last year lines were 10-20 minutes in my area and no lines this year at all.
45mins was at the beginning of the pandemic (~Mar-Apr of last year) I'm deducing that it can't be any worse than that lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
5659 posts
6881 upvotes
GTA
realtycoon wrote: Hoping Costco and other retailers implement extended hours. I'm expecting a total $#itshow for the next few weeks as they open up.

Plus all the retail workers cry and whine about mistreatment by the customers, but at the same time the stores are upsetting the customers with restricted hours, restricted capacities and other policies that seem to have no reason behind it. Why not open the stores longer, spread the crowd and reduce the problems that will no doubt be occurring this weekend on Ontario
Costco doesn't have restricted hours, in fact they are open one hour longer (9 am instead of 10 am opening) than they use to be before Covid.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5729 posts
1960 upvotes
Kanata
Not even going to drive by. It's going to be a line up to buy and return.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
May 11, 2009
309 posts
127 upvotes
Burlington
realtycoon wrote: Hoping Costco and other retailers implement extended hours. I'm expecting a total $#itshow for the next few weeks as they open up.

Plus all the retail workers cry and whine about mistreatment by the customers, but at the same time the stores are upsetting the customers with restricted hours, restricted capacities and other policies that seem to have no reason behind it. Why not open the stores longer, spread the crowd and reduce the problems that will no doubt be occurring this weekend on Ontario
Lol, the reason behind it is it's been mandatory by the provincial government. Let's not pretend it is the stores decision.
Also, don't try and excuse mistreatment by customers. I worked in retail during my university years, and customers are the worst.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16261 posts
13778 upvotes
GTA, ON
As per usual, it will be the time of day you choose to go shop. 25% capacity? What was it before the lock down? There might be a line-up but I think it will move steadily just like before the lock-down. People are not going there to wander, they'll go in, get what they need and leave.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1188 posts
727 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gemenichic wrote: I mean if it’s at 25% - it’s not going to be a zoo, just the outside lineup may be longer. Inside will remain the same? The capacity limits are not changing - it is and will be 25%.
You make it sound like a bunch of "excitable" people standing in a long lineup that probably moves slowly is a recipe for ORDER. GTA has been in high heat and humidity all week...if it really cools down to 25°C on Friday that might help. But if you throw in humidity and heat into the picture...The line can get pretty messy.

There are things that I can buy from Costco...but nothing so urgent that I have to wait in line to get it. If I want to go outside, I'll take a walk around my neighbourhood or take a drive out to get groceries at a supermarket a little further away - maybe a Farm Boy.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16261 posts
13778 upvotes
GTA, ON
toram23901 wrote: You make it sound like a bunch of "excitable" people standing in a long lineup that probably moves slowly is a recipe for ORDER. GTA has been in high heat and humidity all week...if it really cools down to 25°C on Friday that might help. But if you throw in humidity and heat into the picture...The line can get pretty messy.
How did we survive last summer? There were indoor limits too at that time and people didn't go crazy.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1405 posts
970 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed on avoiding line ups
But why not just extend their hours
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22246 posts
20849 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
submalst wrote: Agreed on avoiding line ups
But why not just extend their hours
Costco is never gonna extend their hours by much
It’s not part of their corporate plan / thinking

They are very much about

(A) Being a warehouse first & foremost ... there’s a lot going on at Costco behind the scenes after the doors close ... besides the obvious restocking, that’s also when they fulfil the orders for their biz clients etc

(B) Family. Part of what makes Costco one of the best Companies to work for in Canada is their clear cut policies in regards to work, job descriptions, advancement, benefits, sick leave, vacations ... and the sanity of being able to leave your job at the warehouse after your shift and go out and enjoy your life. They strongly believe in a good balance makes for a good, happy, productive employee, and a better work environment ... and in turn a successful Costco.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1756 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Other things will be opened up as well, it was long lines before because all of the other retails were closed. I dont think it would be as bad as before
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6927 posts
6051 upvotes
chimaican wrote: I'm looking for a coffee burr grinder seen on their website. I don't recall if I've seen it in the warehouse, so I want to look first before placing an order online.
they have the cuisinart one in their warehouse from what i remember . is that the one you are looking for?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16261 posts
13778 upvotes
GTA, ON
StatsGuy wrote: they have the cuisinart one in their warehouse from what i remember . is that the one you are looking for?
Thanks. That's one of the considerations. I also saw a Hamilton Beach Prof Burr for $150 online. It does costs more but I'm wondering if the extra cost translates into better quality, sometimes more $$$ don't necessarily mean better product.

https://www.costco.ca/hamilton-beach-professional-conical-burr-digital-coffee-grinder.product.100688146.html
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23067 posts
4574 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Sure as heck aint going to show up on Friday or even in the next two weeks, but they have an extension cord there I want for my tiller that is $10 cheaper instore than online. I'm not going to bother lineing up to get in though, not worth that much energy. Going to hit Costco tomorrow to get all my normal grocery items for the next little bit and then ignore it until I need to go back.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6927 posts
6051 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Thanks. That's one of the considerations. I also saw a Hamilton Beach Prof Burr for $150 online. It does costs more but I'm wondering if the extra cost translates into better quality, sometimes more $$$ don't necessarily mean better product.

https://www.costco.ca/hamilton-beach-professional-conical-burr-digital-coffee-grinder.product.100688146.html
imo, a burr grinder is very basic appliance, there's cogs/gears that grind the beans and then it goes into the container. i think most often complain is sometimes the internal are plastic and chip off/break over time (and potential to ingest it).

i would personally just get this and amazon has great return policy too ... it's manufacture renewed yes..but i don't see need for brand new from performance perspective ..

https://www.amazon.ca/Cuisinart-BM-16IH ... N7VY&psc=1

but i'm cheap haha
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1405 posts
970 upvotes
Toronto
BrianJai wrote: Other things will be opened up as well, it was long lines before because all of the other retails were closed. I dont think it would be as bad as before
reduced capacity is still in play.
pent up demand from not being able to shop for non-essentials
summer
i think inability to buy non-essentials has been in play for what- 2 months? Costco has their monthly promos etc that were available instore but not accessible-they probably have very full warehouses of stuff that they expected to move but did not.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16362 posts
11408 upvotes
Toronto
the ability to buy non-essentials, massive back log of items to return, summer weekend.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1122 posts
485 upvotes
North of Toronto
chimaican wrote: I'm looking for a coffee burr grinder seen on their website. I don't recall if I've seen it in the warehouse, so I want to look first before placing an order online.
You can literally call any Costco and ask if they carry it.
Jan 3, 2017
435 posts
417 upvotes
tew wrote: Costco doesn't have restricted hours, in fact they are open one hour longer (9 am instead of 10 am opening) than they use to be before Covid.
Our Costco open up at 8am. Its the best time to go. It's seniors hour but they will let anyone in if there's no lineup and there never is at that time of day.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23067 posts
4574 upvotes
Niagara Falls
fryguy1987 wrote: Our Costco open up at 8am. Its the best time to go. It's seniors hour but they will let anyone in if there's no lineup and there never is at that time of day.
Opening time at our Costco is always jam packed. I've normally found it about and hour to an hour and half after opening to be the best time to go. That being said, I suspect there will be no "best" time to go for the first little bit.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22246 posts
20849 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
fryguy1987 wrote: Our Costco open up at 8am. Its the best time to go. It's seniors hour but they will let anyone in if there's no lineup and there never is at that time of day.
Ah yes the SPECIAL HOUR ... for the vulnerable ... and those who actually are working on the FRONT LINES in essential roles.

And yet, you feel you are “privileged enough” to just show up then and jump the queue... cuz you can.

:rolleyes: :facepalm:

People need to be more decent.
Just because it’s the honour system ...
And you can do something ... DOESNT MEAN YOU SHOULD !