Automotive

Ontario Drive Clean Test and Sticker Renewal

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2019 8:03 pm
Mar 19, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote

Ontario Drive Clean Test and Sticker Renewal

Ontario is scrapping the Drive Clean Test effective April 1, 2019. But my sticker expires midnight March 31. Do I still need to get an etest if I hold off renewing my sticker until April 1?
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
Wait and see!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6942 posts
6062 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Shibawan wrote: Ontario is scrapping the Drive Clean Test effective April 1, 2019. But my sticker expires midnight March 31. Do I still need to get an etest if I hold off renewing my sticker until April 1?
If your renewal notice says you need it, then you need it.
Jul 26, 2018
4 posts
2 upvotes
I called Drive Clean with the same scenario. They advised that you can renew April 2 without any test.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1842 posts
526 upvotes
DubeC74153 wrote: I called Drive Clean with the same scenario. They advised that you can renew April 2 without any test.
Damn my bday was in feb and i called and wanted to wait and they said since it was before april 1st i had to get a etest done , but i said its my summer car i wont be taking it out till spring and they said you still need it . I went a got it the next week anyways it was free for the test but now i dont need anymore of them in the future.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
shawn01 wrote: Damn my bday was in feb and i called and wanted to wait and they said since it was before april 1st i had to get a etest done , but i said its my summer car i wont be taking it out till spring and they said you still need it . I went a got it the next week anyways it was free for the test but now i dont need anymore of them in the future.
I let my two summer cars lapse for over a year now and will let you guys know if I'm able to renew without an Etest come Apil 1st.
Banned
Mar 4, 2019
23 posts
6 upvotes
Seriously, why those ricer car smell stink.
Every time I drive after those ricer with shitty spooky look and large noisy pipe, I smell the stink to the level almost get a headache.

Do they pollute a lot more? how the system don't bother catch them?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
Yssx880 wrote: Seriously, why those ricer car smell stink.
Every time I drive after those ricer with shitty spooky look and large noisy pipe, I smell the stink to the level almost get a headache.

Do they pollute a lot more? how the system don't bother catch them?
I guess haven't driven behind a diesel?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1077 upvotes
Hamilton
I'm in the same boat, my winter car has CEL's on that will fail an etest. Rolling the dice with expired stickers for April 1st, hope can renew then.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5348 posts
2685 upvotes
WFH
I'm in the same situation with one of my vehicles. Sticker expires today and unable to drive since last week 'cause I'm waiting for backordered parts. Hopefully someone will post the answer after April 1st.
everylittlecent wrote: hope i am not diverting the thread but can anyone settle this argument. car has an expired tag but has insurance. i say if the car gets into an accident then insurance wont cover. i cant seem to get a definite answer anywhere. TIA
You'd do best to ask your insurance company as they may have different rules. I'd just pony up the $15 for a temporary sticker if I need to drive it.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
everylittlecent wrote: hope i am not diverting the thread but can anyone settle this argument. car has an expired tag but has insurance. i say if the car gets into an accident then insurance wont cover. i cant seem to get a definite answer anywhere. TIA
Insurance and plates are separate. I don't believe insurance can be denied due to a val tag expiry. If you had say stolen plates or were in the process of a bank robbery when the accident happened it would be different because you committed a criminal offense when the accident happened. But an expired tag is not a criminal offense. Maybe an insurance person can clarify.
Jul 26, 2010
927 posts
89 upvotes
eastern Ontario
friend of mine was asking about me ordering him a catalytic converter to pass e-test. Then he said no need because person could get 2 year conditional and after that e-tests wouldn't be required. I haven't researched that yet but I thought conditional might still require a repair $ minimum? I assume that the law will remain that if you are pulled over with a CEL on you will be required to get repairs done. In fact, I think the law says that you are supposed to do that even if not pulled over.
edit: if my first glance is right he might have to pay up to $460 in repairs first before getting the conditional pass? the convertor was only $229 plus labour of course so seems to me he would have had to put the convertor on unless he spent $460 on other emissions stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5348 posts
2685 upvotes
WFH
vkizzle wrote: I let my two summer cars lapse for over a year now and will let you guys know if I'm able to renew without an Etest come Apil 1st.
So, how did it go?
May 17, 2006
605 posts
191 upvotes
Mother was in the same situation as you describe. She was in an at-fault accident with expired tags but valid insurance.

Insurance did NOT pay for the repair/replacement of her car, but DID pay to repair/replace the others' car. Insurance also covered the lawsuit that the other party instigated for damages/medical. This is covered under the liability portion of the policy.
Mar 19, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for all the replies, just to let you know that "wait and see " was the best policy here. I waited until April 1 and then went to Service Ontario and got my new sticker without an e-test.