• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2017 12:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54002 posts
18947 upvotes

Ontario Driver's License Reciprocity with France

My relative got two speeding infractions while driving in France this moth, the fines seem nominal but I recall that many jurisdictions in the States don't even have reciprocity with Canadian licenses.

Can these Notice of Contraventions (ETR) from France be safely ignored? Or is it advisable to pay them?

I only asked because these notices were actually mailed to my relative's Ontario address so not sure if the MTO does have some ties with the France's MTO.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49jnI ... sp=sharing

Thanks for any advice.
12 replies
May 30, 2013
372 posts
277 upvotes
Markham
I would just ignore it if you are not going back to visit France in the near future.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3869 posts
3214 upvotes
Oakville, ON
alanbrenton wrote: My relative got two speeding infractions while driving in France this moth, the fines seem nominal but I recall that many jurisdictions in the States don't even have reciprocity with Canadian licenses.

Can these Notice of Contraventions (ETR) from France be safely ignored? Or is it advisable to pay them?

I only asked because these notices were actually mailed to my relative's Ontario address so not sure if the MTO does have some ties with the France's MTO.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49jnI ... sp=sharing

Thanks for any advice.
I'm assuming your relative got the tickets while driving a rental car? If so, the rental car company passed along your relative's address and probably charged a fee for that.

If the ticket remains unpaid, then the rental company will get a notice and will probably pay the ticket at that point and then charge it back to your relative's credit card. At this point though, the cost of the ticket will be higher due to being late + the rental company will definitely add a fee to settle the ticket on their behalf.

It might fall between the cracks, but most likely will get hit with a credit card charge if the tickets are ignored.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13030 posts
7095 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianLurker wrote: I'm assuming your relative got the tickets while driving a rental car? If so, the rental car company passed along your relative's address and probably charged a fee for that.

If the ticket remains unpaid, then the rental company will get a notice and will probably pay the ticket at that point and then charge it back to your relative's credit card. At this point though, the cost of the ticket will be higher due to being late + the rental company will definitely add a fee to settle the ticket on their behalf.

It might fall between the cracks, but most likely will get hit with a credit card charge if the tickets are ignored.
This is correct.
I had the same thing happen to me 3 years ago, my rental car company had paid the tickets on my behalf and wanted me to pay them.
I was guilty as charged so I paid the fines....I know that's a shocking concept for many people on RFD
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54002 posts
18947 upvotes
Yes. Confirmed that it was through the rental car company.

She mentioned reading just today that her future entries into Europe via their visa could be jeopardized.

I told her the two penalties are much lower than a speeding violation here.

She is leaning towards paying after she explains it was her husband driving lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
460 upvotes
I'm sure the rental car contract has some large print about not paying fines while driving their cars. If they can't get your credit card, they'll send collections after you.
Do you really want that hassle too? Your credit rating will take a hit.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2020 posts
1418 upvotes
This is actually good to know, I plan on a Europe trip in a few years and I guess it means I shouldn't be a freaking madman outside the Autobahn.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3869 posts
3214 upvotes
Oakville, ON
LoANeal wrote: This is actually good to know, I plan on a Europe trip in a few years and I guess it means I shouldn't be a freaking madman outside the Autobahn.
Yep - photo radar is everywhere in France & to a lesser degree in many other areas in the EU.

On smaller roads it's set up like a red light camera but can be anywhere along a roadway, but typically as you get into a town and the limit drops. On the larger highways, the overhead signs that span the lanes to tell you about the upcoming exits are set up like the on/off ramps of the 407. They grab your speed as you approach and snap a picture when you pass underneath. And don't be lulled into a false sense of security that everybody else was going 20 over in the highway - they probably all got tickets too!
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2280 posts
1331 upvotes
GTA
LoANeal wrote: This is actually good to know, I plan on a Europe trip in a few years and I guess it means I shouldn't be a freaking madman outside the Autobahn.
I know that in France, not sure about other countries in Europe, they use a lot of roadside speed laser. You will not see many officers on the side of the road like you do here. You can actually spend a lot of time driving in France without seeing a police on the road.

There are always signs advising you in advance of the laser. Don't go over a few km over the limit. Good thing in France is that speeding tickets do not affect insurance premiums like they do here.

Highways drive faster in France but people do not speed like they do here. Also never ever pass someone in the right lane, that is a big no no.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2020 posts
1418 upvotes
moulamou wrote: I know that in France, not sure about other countries in Europe, they use a lot of roadside speed laser. You will not see many officers on the side of the road like you do here. You can actually spend a lot of time driving in France without seeing a police on the road.

There are always signs advising you in advance of the laser. Don't go over a few km over the limit. Good thing in France is that speeding tickets do not affect insurance premiums like they do here.

Highways drive faster in France but people do not speed like they do here. Also never ever pass someone in the right lane, that is a big no no.
WHAT! WHAT! What is this freaking country...I would care infinitely less about speeding tickets if it didn't effect my insurance. What the actual hell...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1271 upvotes
LoANeal wrote: WHAT! WHAT! What is this freaking country...I would care infinitely less about speeding tickets if it didn't effect my insurance. What the actual hell...

Well, we had that in Ontario 20 years ago...it was called photo-radar. People hated receiving a ticket in the mail for driving 118 km/h on the 401. Personally, I wouldn't mind getting a $100 speeding ticket in the mail every once in a while as long as it doesn't affect insurance, but most people in Ontario detested the idea.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4460 posts
3043 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
LoANeal wrote: WHAT! WHAT! What is this freaking country...I would care infinitely less about speeding tickets if it didn't effect my insurance. What the actual hell...
In BC, speeding tickets don't directly affect insurance premiums.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2020 posts
1418 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: In BC, speeding tickets don't directly affect insurance premiums.
This freaking province...