[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22047 posts
25708 upvotes
Toronto

Ontario - free licence plate replacements. YMMV

Deal Link:
Sounds like staff have greater leeway in replacing faded plates for free now.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... ice=mobile
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
33 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
3062 posts
3024 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I paid to replace mine fading and bubbling...anyone able to get a refund ?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1145 posts
1502 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mrfrugal83 wrote: I paid to replace mine fading and bubbling...anyone able to get a refund ?
Same, I literally had mine replaced 4 months ago -_-
A refund would be nice...
Oct 18, 2001
671 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
I bet both of you had plates in the B**** range.
Jun 13, 2015
217 posts
250 upvotes
Montr
why would you replace it? want the government to be able to tack you better? let that government issued piece of **** fade and die away on your car unless you are forced to replace it.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19725 posts
9175 upvotes
Oakville
bonafidehustler wrote: why would you replace it?
Presumably to avoid the hassle of getting pulled over because it's no longer legible. My wife's plates (BD**) are starting to bubble, on her 2008 car... It's super annoying. So far though, still legible.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3846 upvotes
Why be silly? A peeled of licence plate is amazing, you can get away driving on your tolled hwy. Then if you get pulled over tell the cop the province didn't want to replace your plate for free and you are not going to shell out money for a new plate when it's not your fault because the province is using shitty paint.
Nov 28, 2009
665 posts
618 upvotes
Pickering
You'll get a warning first then you'll get a $110 ticket but the officer will say if you have it replaced within 14 days the ticket can be cancelled, you have to take a picture showing proof that you got new plates which you have to pay for. I believe I paid $25 bucks for new plates last summer 2015. So if you don't replace them expect to be pulled over which is always a hassle. You'll eventually get pulled over, if you'd like that go ahead and wait it out. If Toronto is now paying for replacements get them done ASAP. I got pulled over by a copy in the Newmarket division, I was in Markham! So I had to go all the way to Newmarket not too far but a 35 minute drive each way plus taking a half day off work isn't time well spent.
Sep 15, 2010
305 posts
261 upvotes
Scarborough
Thank'ed OP!
I got my plate replaced (with a new number) today with no charge!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
steved54321 wrote: You'll get a warning first then you'll get a $110 ticket but the officer will say if you have it replaced within 14 days the ticket can be cancelled, you have to take a picture showing proof that you got new plates which you have to pay for. I believe I paid $25 bucks for new plates last summer 2015. So if you don't replace them expect to be pulled over which is always a hassle. You'll eventually get pulled over, if you'd like that go ahead and wait it out. If Toronto is now paying for replacements get them done ASAP. I got pulled over by a copy in the Newmarket division, I was in Markham! So I had to go all the way to Newmarket not too far but a 35 minute drive each way plus taking a half day off work isn't time well spent.
No warning. I was issued a ticket, but the cop said he would cancel it if I got it replaced the same day. I got it replaced for free and went back to the cop shop and had the ticket cancelled.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
24163 posts
5837 upvotes
where I belong
I'd love to replace it with C-prefix plates :)

My screws are stuck, that's the problem... any tips?
I have 2 on the top, one broke/snapped (stuck inside) when I tried to unscrew it. Now I'm afraid to do the other one as then I'd really have no way to hold the plate on my car ...
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3584 posts
813 upvotes
Will they replace the plates with the same number ? I don't want a new number.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Sep 30, 2004
721 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
tkl wrote: Will they replace the plates with the same number ? I don't want a new number.
No they won't. The same number plate would mean a 'custom' plate. If you want the same number, you would need to pay the personalized please late charge.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3846 upvotes
steved54321 wrote: You'll get a warning first then you'll get a $110 ticket but the officer will say if you have it replaced within 14 days the ticket can be cancelled, you have to take a picture showing proof that you got new plates which you have to pay for. I believe I paid $25 bucks for new plates last summer 2015. So if you don't replace them expect to be pulled over which is always a hassle. You'll eventually get pulled over, if you'd like that go ahead and wait it out. If Toronto is now paying for replacements get them done ASAP. I got pulled over by a copy in the Newmarket division, I was in Markham! So I had to go all the way to Newmarket not too far but a 35 minute drive each way plus taking a half day off work isn't time well spent.
Buy buy buy (or in this case, hoard, hoard, hoard). You guys should get like 10 for peace of mind :P
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1025 posts
82 upvotes
Just asked Service Ontario while I was lining up for something else. The lady asked what is my license plate, then she said it can be replace free of charge. My license plate was from 2008 and start with BE** ###. I got a form to fill out and I need to bring both license plates + my ownership for the replacement.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42485 posts
6787 upvotes
How about damaged/bent license plates?
Blanka
Oct 1, 2008
24 posts
Toronto
how about mine is getting rusted even tho' the number is visible?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8514 posts
3694 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
My logo plate from 2006 is peeling as well, but so far only in the middle of the zeros. Didn't spread over the years though... same problem?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2410 posts
366 upvotes
North York
Gundam wrote: Just asked Service Ontario while I was lining up for something else. The lady asked what is my license plate, then she said it can be replace free of charge. My license plate was from 2008 and start with BE** ###. I got a form to fill out and I need to bring both license plates + my ownership for the replacement.
The rep also asked for proof of insurance last week when I exchanged my BE***** plate, so bring that in too.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1766 posts
612 upvotes
Elgin, ON
My film on my AA ##### plate is just starting to separate around the mounting holes after about 4 years. It will probably be fine for a while.