• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 7:38 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 21, 2009
478 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
So when do we pick which smart thermostat to be installed? I am not seeing the options in my confirmation email.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21168 posts
10618 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
VertigoM wrote: Did you consent to receiving future updates? I signed up three times and it keeps taking the same email address. But i did not check the box giving consent to receive future updates...
I signed up three times (same email) and checked the box each time....
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3631 posts
2166 upvotes
Toronto
filled out the form and now getting a red icon hovering over submit

does it take a while because the site is flooded or should it be instantaneous?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54017 posts
18966 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Homekit is the protocol...LOl
I thought all of them had to start with Z!
zigbee, z-wave, z-wave plus
Sep 27, 2012
54 posts
24 upvotes
Managed to get through the process twice, both times no email, both times did not say I'm already registered. I got in on page 1 so I'm thinking a ton of us just got queued.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54017 posts
18966 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: I signed up three times (same email) and checked the box each time....
Three ecobee's, one for each floor?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21168 posts
10618 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
alanbrenton wrote: Three ecobee's, one for each floor?
lol no it's for my mom....I just want her to get that damn confirmation email
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
4467 posts
3007 upvotes
Toronto and London
ceredon wrote: Ecobee is also suited to those that don't like having every single part of their life being tracked.
We are all tracked now days more or less plus I don't mind them tracking me. Nothing to hide lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3417 posts
2212 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: E3 will come with a homekit? Cool. Sounds like another hub of sorts.

That $20 8-port gigabit switch is sure looking handy.
The Ecobee3 is able to be added to your Homekit ecosystem. As someone else mentioned it is not a physical device, it connects to the cloud.

However to really take advantage of Homekit you need an Apple TV that supports it. In my opinion Homekit is fine for a novice user just looking to use Siri at home to control certain products. If you want to control and access it outside of your home you would need an Apple TV.

HomeKit doesn't seem to have too many products being supported and in my opinion it is unfortunately a closed "environment" (no surprise as it's Apple). If you really wanted a hub that supports open protocols like Z-Wave and Zigbee I'd suggest the Samsung SmartThings or Wink 2 Hub.
Last edited by redkulat on Aug 30th, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2352 posts
1086 upvotes
ontario
when and if you get the email, they provide a link to a page with the following information regarding the program. no mention of any catch.
1. Register online or call us

Once you’ve registered for the program online or by contacting our call centre, you’ll receive an email confirming your registration.
2. Booking an appointment

A GreenON Installations program representative will call you to schedule an appointment to install your smart thermostat and conduct an in-home energy review.
During the call, the program representative will ask you to select your preferred smart thermostat brand. They will also ask a few questions about your home set up to ensure the smart thermostat will be compatible.
Before the installation, you’ll need to sign the participant agreement.
If you rent, you will be contacted about submitting a landlord consent form. Likewise, if you an owner or manager of a rental property you will need your tenants permission to participate.
3. The home visit

A trained GreenON Installations program representative will arrive at your home as scheduled, and will present photo ID. The process of installing the new smart thermostat and performing an in-home review will take approximately two hours.
The program representative will complete the in-home energy review by filling out a checklist that will require them to access various places around your home such as windows, the basement, attic, the breaker panel and other areas with wiring.
Next, the program representative will remove your old thermostat and safely dispose it. They will then install your new smart thermostat, show you how to use it, and complete the warranty registration process with you, which will require you to agree to the smart thermostat manufacturer's terms and use and privacy policy. Please note that this will require access to your Wi-Fi.
4. The home energy report

The information gathered from the in-home energy review will be used to create a customized home energy profile that will be sent to you within a few weeks. This report will help you understand your energy usage and costs, suggesting ways to save energy and money by participating in other energy efficiency programs.
Once your program representative has completed the in-home energy review, they will provide you with an information pack with other energy conservation tips and programs to consider.
Bill review
Now it’s up to you – armed with this information – what steps do you think you could take to reduce your carbon footprint and save energy?

More information and contact

Please note that this program is limited to one smart thermostat per household.
Depending on demand, there may be extended wait times between when you register and when you are called to set up an appointment. Participation is limited.
The GreenON Installations program is being delivered by the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
If you have any questions regarding the GreenON Installations program or general inquiries about the Green Ontario Fund, please contact us online at info@GreenON.ca or at 1-888-728-8444.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54017 posts
18966 upvotes
^ I got the ST hub but it's still in NY. Thanks redkulat for the helpful response.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1609 posts
942 upvotes
Toronto
reporrted wrote: Managed to get through the process twice, both times no email, both times did not say I'm already registered. I got in on page 1 so I'm thinking a ton of us just got queued.
Interesting. I wonder why some people got confirmation emails while others did not.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3631 posts
2166 upvotes
Toronto
Ok tried in Chrome, and this time it went through (but no email yet):

Congratulations!
Green Ontario Fund
You are now registered for the GreenON Installations program

If you are eligible for this program you will receive a home smart thermostat installed by a GreenON Installations program representative and a home energy review. You will soon receive an email with more details about the program and what to expect.

The GreenON Installations Program will be available across the province starting in Fall 2017. A GreenON Installations program representative will contact you over the coming weeks to make an appointment.

Together we can take the first step in fighting climate change.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34025 posts
19886 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: I thought all of them had to start with Z!
zigbee, z-wave, z-wave plus
Apple...
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3417 posts
2212 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: ^ I got the ST hub but it's still in NY. Thanks redkulat for the helpful response.
No problem! Great choice. My wife has an Apple device and I have an Android. It's neat that she can use Siri to control the thermostat at home. I have a Wink 2 hub but to be honest, Siri sometimes seems far more responsive to me than Google Assistant.