Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Ontario] Free Smart Thermostat. [2017 is full, registering for 2018]

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 7:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
What's the difference between ecobee3 and ecobee3 lite? Is the only difference that it lacks the extra sensors or is it more than that?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
HRVs should be used continuously and constantly, it has the same effect as opening the windows but for the whole home, clean air than stale unclean air because household chemicals etc
vkizzle wrote: The control switch for mine is right above the ecobee and I couldn't give it up, as there's too many features that the ecobee can't control.
I keep mine on all year round atu20min on and 40min off cycles; which the ecobee can't duplicate.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
radeonboy wrote: HRVs should be used continuously and constantly, it has the same effect as opening the windows but for the whole home, clean air than stale unclean air because household chemicals etc
Most definitely, but I need to be somewhat conservative, as mine has its own motor and interlocked with my furnace which would be a large contributor in my hydro usage running non-stop 24/7.
I imagine it also decrease the lifetime of the furnace motor, considering its a whole home setup replacing the traditional bathroom exhaust fans.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: HRVs should be used continuously and constantly, it has the same effect as opening the windows but for the whole home, clean air than stale unclean air because household chemicals etc
I have an hrv but was never shown how to use it when I bought the house. Have no idea what to change it to or when. Will the ecobee3 do all of that for me?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Tha DraGun wrote: I have an hrv but was never shown how to use it when I bought the house. Have no idea what to change it to or when. Will the ecobee3 do all of that for me?
I'm no expert, but the VanEE HRVs I've seen have three options, on, off, intermittent. Basically if you see condensation on your windows, your home is too humid, so you should turn the HRV on, I guess like the other user does is good, run it for 20 minutes or 40 minutes instead of using it all the time, to save some money. When it gets winter, you'll be using your HRV more often, because inside the home is warmer than outside, the HRV will bring in outside cool clean air replacing the stale air inside. Has the effect of opening the windows, but throughout the whole house at the same time.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6695 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
rsxmachine wrote: The lite version also doesn’t have a sensor built in so you cannot do home and away without buying additional sensors.

So main difference are no sensor built in, no free additional sensor included and no additional accessories like humidifier.

Basically I will have to buy a 2 pack sensor set for 89 now for this to work like a ecobee 3
Still less then buying regular E3 and then getting enbridge rebate... and perhaps a plus that can place two sensors where ever you want. If I understand regular E3 it has one sensor built in [so stays in tstat] and one sensor you put where you want.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Sep 24, 2012
689 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
I am new to home automation..I have a Philips Hue Bridge controlling my hue lights..Can this bridge be used with Ecobee Lite?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: Good to have an HRV, but you need to turn it on always. Should be used continuously.
Doesn't that draw cold nonstale air from outside?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Most definitely, but I need to be somewhat conservative, as mine has its own motor and interlocked with my furnace which would be a large contributor in my hydro usage running non-stop 24/7.
I imagine it also decrease the lifetime of the furnace motor, considering its a whole home setup replacing the traditional bathroom exhaust fans.
Mine also forces the furnace fan to turn on but independent of the heating or cooling.

I paid for the better design but builder forgot about it so they gave me a hefty refund and installed a no ideal setup ( forgot the actual layout / setup )
Nov 24, 2013
382 posts
327 upvotes
Does anyone know what the difference between this program and the one Alectra is offering to residents in York region? They are also offering to install free Energate thermostat .
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
ChicoQuente wrote: Oh I know. I just meant I WISH they would, I know that isn't the case. I am actually leaning towards declining at this point. Free is nice, but at the same time I really want to fully use my furnace and humidifier. I'm just going to grab an ecobee on my own I think.
Just get the e3 lite, sell it, and get an e3 or e4.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
May 21, 2011
133 posts
151 upvotes
Just wondering if we can contact Nest or Ecobee and have them replace these lite versions for the full versions and pay the difference or better yet contact GreenON and check if they would accept extra payment for installing the full version?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
dracolnyte wrote: the honeywell looks more pleasing
Yeah, get it for the looks.
Better chance for the rest of us to get the better product. Lol
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
ChicoQuente wrote: Oh I know. I just meant I WISH they would, I know that isn't the case. I am actually leaning towards declining at this point. Free is nice, but at the same time I really want to fully use my furnace and humidifier. I'm just going to grab an ecobee on my own I think.
Maybe take it and sell on Kijiji afterwards?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
ecobee3 vs ecobee3 lite:

http://smartthermostatguide.com/ecobee3 ... hermostat/
The biggest difference, since the ecobee lite now supports room sensors, is that the ecobee3 lite doesn’t support humidifiers, dehumidifiers, or ventilators. If you have these accessories, you should get the ecobee3 so you can take full advantage of your home’s HVAC equipment. If you don’t have any of these things, though, the lite should suffice.
Who is the ecobee3 lite for?

Budget-concious shoppers
Homes with multiple zones (the savings will add up)
Open floorplan homes and smaller homes that don’t really benefit from multiple sensors
Shoppers who might want to add sensors later
Opting out of this free program because they're offering the lite version seems very short-sighted for most who won't even need the sensors.

For those that do, sell the lite (which is retailing for ~$200) and get the e3.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3799 posts
463 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I wouldn't pay more for the non-lite version.
It doesn't even support all of my HRV's features, other than on and off and high and low.
You wouldn't need it for HRV but you would for humidifier. It does a good job of preventing the windows from sweating because it knows the temperature outside and inside and it lets you tell it how good the windows are. Also typically you don't have humidifier controls installed where your thermostat is unlike HRV controls.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there. But it is still there... every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3799 posts
463 upvotes
chadw01 wrote: ecobee3 vs ecobee3 lite:

http://smartthermostatguide.com/ecobee3 ... hermostat/

Opting out of this free program because they're offering the lite version seems very short-sighted for most who won't even need the sensors.

For those that do, sell the lite (which is retailing for ~$200) and get the e3.
Enbridge gives you $100 for buying it new from the store, so it limits the value of a used lite.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there. But it is still there... every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1571 posts
191 upvotes
Ontario
Can any of these support a humidifier? I have a General Aire unit.

Aside from that, which is best? Seems like Ecobee, but you would have to add sensors, although the others don't have sensors either.

Don't really use any home automation currently, but would get a Google Home if anything.