Locked: Ontario G2 license unrenewable, petition government for change

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2023 3:07 pm
[OP]
Mar 30, 2019
28 posts
25 upvotes

Ontario G2 license unrenewable, petition government for change

Although I already got my Ontario G license, this issue is personal to me based on how hard, expensive and time consuming it was to get it. If you disagree with my views please express it respectfully and move on.

If you are not ready or confident to take the G test prior to your G2 license expiring, the G2 license is not renewable without repeating G2 road test again with the risk that if you fail the G2 road test you are automatically downgraded to G1, and lose your independent driving privileges.

Other provinces that have a license similar to Ontario G2 allow this license to be renewable like the class 7N in BC and class 5GDL in Alberta. In fact Alberta plans to eliminate the advanced road in the spring of 2023 so class 5GDL license holders will automatically be upgraded to full class 5 driving privileges after 24 months of satisfactory driving record.

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID= ... FBC073BA66

While I am not suggesting we eliminate the G test if you believe Ontario’s rule to expire the G2 without testing is unfair given examiner’s arbitrarily scoring and unpredictable road test conditions often with other drivers not obeying the rules, you can try writing an email to the Minister of Transport Caroline Mulroney [email protected] or Premier Doug Ford dou[email protected] .

You can cite how losing your G2 will affect your livelihood, and how the demerit point system can adequately take unsafe G2 drivers off the road. Also cite how costly it is to prepare for the G test which does not really enhance road safety since you retain your G2 independent driving privileges until license expiry despite failing the G test. If enough people complain I think the government will be compelled to change the rules just like what happened in Alberta.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19673 posts
20110 upvotes
Richmond Hill
G2 is valid for 5 years. What's the issue?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6575 posts
8339 upvotes
GTA
Sunamiwave wrote: Although I already got my Ontario G license, this issue is personal to me based on how hard, expensive and time consuming it was to get it. If you disagree with my views please express it respectfully and move on.

If you are not ready or confident to take the G test prior to your G2 license expiring, the G2 license is not renewable without repeating G2 road test again with the risk that if you fail the G2 road test you are automatically downgraded to G1, and lose your independent driving privileges.

Other provinces that have a license similar to Ontario G2 allow this license to be renewable like the class 7N in BC and class 5GDL in Alberta. In fact Alberta plans to eliminate the advanced road in the spring of 2023 so class 5GDL license holders will automatically be upgraded to full class 5 driving privileges after 24 months of satisfactory driving record.

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID= ... FBC073BA66

While I am not suggesting we eliminate the G test if you believe Ontario’s rule to expire the G2 without testing is unfair given examiner’s arbitrarily scoring and unpredictable road test conditions often with other drivers not obeying the rules, you can try writing an email to the Minister of Transport Caroline Mulroney [email protected] or Premier Doug Ford [email protected] .

You can cite how losing your G2 will affect your livelihood, and how the demerit point system can adequately take unsafe G2 drivers off the road. Also cite how costly it is to prepare for the G test which does not really enhance road safety since you retain your G2 independent driving privileges until license expiry despite failing the G test. If enough people complain I think the government will be compelled to change the rules just like what happened in Alberta.
You have an entire year if you're not confident in your driving ability after that long I don't think you're ready for a license. Unpredictable road conditions and other drivers not obeying the rules is a fact of driving. Again if you can only drive in favorable conditions you're not ready.
Last edited by tew on Jan 5th, 2023 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2735 posts
2820 upvotes
Here is the reason why some think this process works compared to what it used to be (i.e. written test => obtaining 365 temp license and then going for road test, no waiting)

https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-stor ... n-be-done/
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15088 posts
11825 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Is it that hard? I passed all levels within first try and did both my road test in Aurora....not Timmins or far far away.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jun 12, 2004
881 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see a problem here. If you have your G2 and its about to expire, then clearly you are unfit/not ready to drive. Driving is a privilege.

and to be honest, there is so MANY garbage/trash drivers on the road anyways, you'd wonder how they even got their license in the first place. Don't want to sound like a jerk, but if they could, why couldn't the person in question get theirs?
Last edited by Aegis on Jan 5th, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-"The subconscious is a state in which reality is just a vistor."-
-"A makeshift salvation is nothing but deception"-
[OP]
Mar 30, 2019
28 posts
25 upvotes
If i'm allowed to merge onto the highway at 120-130km/h like the flow of traffic on the 401 and still pass the test, I would agree. Unfortunately with examiners nitpicking you, merging in at 100km/h would be unsafe, and going at 130km/h is a violation of the law both automatic fails. Tell me how the odds can be stacked in my favor to pass the road test?

tew wrote: You have an entire year if you're not confident in your driving ability after that long I don't think you're ready for a license. Unpredictable road conditions and other drivers not obeying the rules is a fact of driving. Again if you can only drive in favorable conditions you're not ready.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19673 posts
20110 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sunamiwave wrote: If i'm allowed to merge onto the highway at 120-130km/h like the flow of traffic on the 401 and still pass the test, I would agree. Unfortunately with examiners nitpicking you, merging in at 100km/h would be unsafe, and going at 130km/h is a violation of the law both automatic fails. Tell me how the odds can be stacked in my favor to pass the road test?
BS. I see people daily merging on to the highway under 100 never mind doing 120 on a merging lane LOL
[OP]
Mar 30, 2019
28 posts
25 upvotes
I never said to get rid of the time requirements of the learner's license before proceeding to G2. But once you got your G2, you can drive independently. I'm just saying these privileges should be renewable just like it is in the rest of Canada.
jmc111 wrote: Here is the reason why some think this process works compared to what it used to be (i.e. written test => obtaining 365 temp license and then going for road test, no waiting)

https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-stor ... n-be-done/
Feb 8, 2010
595 posts
506 upvotes
IF you live in Scarborough, you would hope the drive test gets harder. Too many dumbass on the road.

And you want people who can't drive after 5 years of practice to continue having G2 license?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2735 posts
2820 upvotes
Sunamiwave wrote: I never said to get rid of the time requirements of the learner's license before proceeding to G2. But once you got your G2, you can drive independently. I'm just saying these privileges should be renewable just like it is in the rest of Canada.
Why do you not think the time allotted is not sufficient to complete? That's why it's called a graduated licensing system. A time limit is set to force the potential driver to complete the certification otherwise, it defeats the purpose of why they should receive an official license to qualify that he/she met certain standards and is aware of the rules of the road. No different from any other type of certification.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2019
28 posts
25 upvotes
I remember a few years back the government actually pondered making G drivers take a road test to renew their license before they decided it was politically unpalatable. Are you OK with the hassle and expense of going through a test every 5 years with the threat of your license being cancelled if you fail your test? Are you confident that you can actually pass the G test again if you needed to? Can you honestly say you still drive like that very day you took your road test with exaggerated blind spot observations and with no speeding on an every day basis? That's what G2 drivers go through.

For those who can't drive, you have the demerit point system to take them off the road, just like any other jurisdiction in the world.

For those dumbasses on the road the examiner should never have passed them to begin with.

I wouldn't be opposed to the tests were the road tests fair to begin with, but they obviously are not, and all you're doing is putting on a show in which you have no intention of following through with during every day driving, whether by choice or by necessity due to external traffic conditions.
billy_z wrote: IF you live in Scarborough, you would hope the drive test gets harder. Too many dumbass on the road.

And you want people who can't drive after 5 years of practice to continue having G2 license?
Feb 8, 2010
595 posts
506 upvotes
Sunamiwave wrote: I remember a few years back the government actually pondered making G drivers take a road test to renew their license before they decided it was politically unpalatable. Are you OK with the hassle and expense of going through a test every 5 years with the threat of your license being cancelled if you fail your test? Are you confident that you can actually pass the G test again if you needed to? Can you honestly say you still drive like that very day you took your road test with exaggerated blind spot observations and with no speeding on an every day basis? That's what G2 drivers go through.
Actually I would vote yes that G license holders need some sort of "continue qualification" every once a while.

I have some relatives who gets G license from 1990s, due to age and change of road condition, some of them should no longer be allowed to drive.
Every time I say things like "shouldn't keep high beam on", their response is "G test does not do it in 1992".

Honestly I hope these people's G license can be suspended. Just because police do not bother with their minor offense, does not mean they know how to drive.
Last edited by billy_z on Jan 5th, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2019
28 posts
25 upvotes
Life gets in the way. School, work, time, money. Also have you heard about the Drivetest fiasco where you need to book months in advance for your road test? Do you think drivers in BC or Alberta are any less safer given that their equivalent "G2" is renewable? Furthermore Alberta is ditching their final stage road test this year leaving BC and Ontario the only provinces in Canada where you need to do an advance road test to get a full license. And as I said, BC gives you all the time you need to move to full license as their "G2" or class 7N is renewable.
jmc111 wrote: Why do you not think the time allotted is not sufficient to complete? That's why it's called a graduated licensing system. A time limit is set to force the potential driver to complete the certification otherwise, it defeats the purpose of why they should receive an official license to qualify that he/she met certain standards and is aware of the rules of the road. No different from any other type of certification.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6781 posts
4351 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: BS. I see people daily merging on to the highway under 100 never mind doing 120 on a merging lane LOL
Haha so true. Everyday when I follow the car going front of me whether big truck or granny merging at 90kmh, just got to force zipper merge when it's your turn.

When no one's front of you, 120+ is best when no examiners with you.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6575 posts
8339 upvotes
GTA
Sunamiwave wrote: I remember a few years back the government actually pondered making G drivers take a road test to renew their license before they decided it was politically unpalatable. Are you OK with the hassle and expense of going through a test every 5 years with the threat of your license being cancelled if you fail your test? Are you confident that you can actually pass the G test again if you needed to? Can you honestly say you still drive like that very day you took your road test with exaggerated blind spot observations and with no speeding on an every day basis? That's what G2 drivers go through.

For those who can't drive, you have the demerit point system to take them off the road, just like any other jurisdiction in the world.

For those dumbasses on the road the examiner should never have passed them to begin with.

I wouldn't be opposed to the tests were the road tests fair to begin with, but they obviously are not, and all you're doing is putting on a show in which you have no intention of following through with during every day driving, whether by choice or by necessity due to external traffic conditions.
Guess you've never seen Canada's Worst Driver. They crash/total multiple vehicles, have done hit and runs, constant distracted driving, run stop lights and yet they're all still on the road. The really bad drivers are only taken off the road for a short time before being allowed to drive again. It's too easy to get a license in Canada.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2735 posts
2820 upvotes
Sunamiwave wrote: Life gets in the way. School, work, time, money. Also have you heard about the Drivetest fiasco where you need to book months in advance for your road test? Do you think drivers in BC or Alberta are any less safer given that their equivalent "G2" is renewable? Furthermore Alberta is ditching their final stage road test this year leaving BC and Ontario the only provinces in Canada where you need to do an advance road test to get a full license. And as I said, BC gives you all the time you need to move to full license as their "G2" or class 7N is renewable.
Join the club. Imagine those who are single parents?

Over time, bad habits are inherited. The environment in which you live in (i.e. heavy congestion) will bring out the various types of driving behaviors. Also, bad habits being brought from other countries coming here creates a bigger issue.

Driver re-testing is a great idea but imagine trying to implement that in the GTA? The process for new drivers and the long lines just to process. You really want the gov't to create another Drive Test #2 to handle re-testing of G drivers?

Driving is a privilege and not a right.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2737 posts
3775 upvotes
Barrie, ON
If you're not ready or confident enough after 5 years you should be taking public transit and not be driving on public roadways.