Computers & Electronics

Ontario Government Funds AMD's Fusion Research

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2010 12:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 11, 2004
5319 posts
18 upvotes
Midland

Ontario Government Funds AMD's Fusion Research

"Advanced Micro Devices has announced that its Canada branch is receiving a five-year grant of $56.4 million CAD ($52.8M) from the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development and Trade, as part of a Memorandum of Understanding signed by the two parties.

In exchange for the grant, AMD Canada will be offering a high number of high-value R&D jobs during the grant time frame. Ontario will invest $11.2 million CAD when formally sealing the deal, with the rest set to be delivered as periodic payments during the grant period. "

read the rest here:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ontario- ... 4625.shtml

Thanks to Haz for the link to the article.

This is great news not only for AMD but also those here in ontario whom want to look into working in that field !!! Maybe board123 & any other pc graduates might be interested in something like this.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
10 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 12, 2008
4384 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto
AWESOME!!! :D :D

This I really didn't expect form the ontario governemnt. Good exchange though as it leads to jobs. I don't like the fact that its without L3 cache though; they should include all they can to take on intel.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
56 upvotes
Good to hear, but sad that government is going deeper and deeper into debt to fund this.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 9, 2003
9258 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
pitz wrote: Good to hear, but sad that government is going deeper and deeper into debt to fund this.
The $56 million is much better spent on AMD instead of the complete and utter failure that Nortel is.

If we don't have any distinctly Canadian companies which are the fore-front of innovation, we should at least fund the Canadian branches of international companies. At the end of the day, it still creates jobs for Ontarians and Canadians and this can foster the development of a research community here.
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 1TB Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe | 3x6TB WD Black | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 8GB GTX 2070 Super Windforce | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win10 Pro 64-bit
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 11, 2004
5319 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
bump
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
56 upvotes
Oversized Rooster wrote: The $56 million is much better spent on AMD instead of the complete and utter failure that Nortel is.

If we don't have any distinctly Canadian companies which are the fore-front of innovation, we should at least fund the Canadian branches of international companies. At the end of the day, it still creates jobs for Ontarians and Canadians and this can foster the development of a research community here.
Funding basic research..is one thing. But to fund the development of a proprietary product, for which, only one company is going to benefit?

And while it may create a few jobs at AMD, it destroys jobs elsewhere in the economy, and maybe even, elsewhere in the tech sector, because taxes will have to rise in order to pay for it.

So as I said earlier, a real mixed bag.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29038 posts
4715 upvotes
Montreal
pitz wrote: Funding basic research..is one thing. But to fund the development of a proprietary product, for which, only one company is going to benefit?
How is it different from all the millions thrown in to Bombardier in Quebec, or Nortel in the 90s, or the GM bailout. Government subsidies of private industries is a long standing tradition in free market economies!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 11, 2004
5319 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
I agree I don't see this as a bad thing at all, ergo why I reposted it.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2909 posts
606 upvotes
Mississauga
terrybear wrote: I agree I don't see this as a bad thing at all, ergo why I reposted it.
Agreed. This is a slight boost to the tech job market in Ontario. Increased jobs means increased tax revenue, means more money for the government to create more jobs. Love that economic cycle!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
11428 posts
3799 upvotes
Winnipeg
mr_raider wrote: How is it different from all the millions thrown in to Bombardier in Quebec, or Nortel in the 90s, or the GM bailout. Government subsidies of private industries is a long standing tradition in free market economies!
I disagreed with it, not like nortel ever came back. But in this scenario a 10% etc off the licensing isn't asking too much either, or stipulations on exactly how the money is spent with full records at the very least.

You mentioned the above, then remember how they wanted to use the the bailout money in the beginning and it wasn't just about creating/saving jobs. Their was way too much pocket padding going on. You need major regulation and penalites.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29038 posts
4715 upvotes
Montreal
lead wrote: I disagreed with it, not like nortel ever came back. But in this scenario a 10% etc off the licensing isn't asking too much either, or stipulations on exactly how the money is spent with full records at the very least.

You mentioned the above, then remember how they wanted to use the the bailout money in the beginning and it wasn't just about creating/saving jobs. Their was way too much pocket padding going on. You need major regulation and penalites.
I've never been a fan of these subsidies. Govt should not be subsidizing private industry, canadian, foreign or otherwise. But that is OT in the tech forum.

Top