Home & Garden

Ontario Green Savings - Free Nest Thermostat - Deal or Scam?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2021 5:39 pm
[OP]
Jun 15, 2006
67 posts
2 upvotes

Ontario Green Savings - Free Nest Thermostat - Deal or Scam?

Free smart thermostat with in home assessment. Feels like scam? Website looks legit. Tia!
56 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1135 posts
628 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
The PCs nixed the program - this is a scam.
Jan 17, 2019
282 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
"By completing this request for a quote/in-home visit and voluntarily providing your personal information, you consent to the collection and use of such information by us only for the purposes of responding to your request and assisting with the in-home sales appointment for purchase/lease of any HVAC, water treatment or air treatment products you have scheduled. For greater certainty, you have initiated contact and requested and authorized Ontario Green Savings to attend your house to explain its purchase/lease programs."
RFD is a h*ll of a drug
Feb 14, 2010
857 posts
280 upvotes
The Great North
Doug Ford scrapped this program along with the $14k rebate for an electric vehicle.
Jan 17, 2019
282 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
nivek_k2020 wrote: Doug Ford scrapped this program along with the $14k rebate for an electric vehicle.
That was the "Ontario GreenON program" this is by a third party company not affiliated with the government
RFD is a h*ll of a drug
Aug 20, 2017
17 posts
31 upvotes
They are 1,000,000% a scam. The "CEO" is facing multiple charges against him.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3586 posts
5613 upvotes
Kitchener
Wish it was real :(
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, RTX 3080 10gb, GTX 1070 8gb, 64GB RAM
Media PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1070 8gb, 32GB RAM
Homework PC: i5 8400, GTX 960 2gb, 32GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64GB
May 31, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
Not necessarily the best thermostat, advised it would not work with my furnance, (not necessarily true). I considered their replacement furnance, DON'T sign anything - their form seriously lacks critical information and the Terms and Conditions are terrible, and not in your favour including the annual interest rate hike.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
i opted out of this program before the conservatives were elected, its not worth selling your personal info for a shiny new smart thermostat, just go out and buy it manually, problem solved. dougie was right to cancel it, the province is not in the business to give away freebies to the public
Hi
Oct 24, 2016
966 posts
818 upvotes
ON
^ Sometimes the amount of misinformation on this forum is mind boggling. These were not freebies being handed out by the province. The money came from the cap and trade program and the province was mandated to spend that money on green programs and just couldn’t use that money to run the government or pay towards deficit.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5732 posts
5213 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: i opted out of this program before the conservatives were elected, its not worth selling your personal info for a shiny new smart thermostat, just go out and buy it manually, problem solved. dougie was right to cancel it, the province is not in the business to give away freebies to the public
I got my free ecoBee a couple years back... Very smooth process, no upsells, and I didn't have to give any personal info other than name, address, cell phone #.

Also, this thread is about a scam using a similar name, and not the actual free thermostat program from a while back
Dec 9, 2012
5 posts
2 upvotes
GLOUCESTER
I had originally signed up after seeing their commercial on FB but after reading all this I called them back and cancelled. Thanks everyone!!! :) Moral of the story, NOTHING is free.
Feb 5, 2014
1 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
It's not free --- just had someone come to my house and said I had to purchase either a new tankless water heater or water purifier/softener to get the thermostat. It's not free - waste of my time.
Feb 10, 2020
1 posts
*** ONTARIO GREEN SAVINGS : SCAM ALERT ***
see below for a letter example you can send to 'Ontario Green Savings' up to 10 days after you signed the 'contract'. As mentioned by someone else on this thread, also file a complain online on the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

Tuesday February 11, 2020

ONTARIO GREEN SAVINGS (10392197 Canada Corp)
Suite 5700 – 100 King Street West
Toronto (Ontario) M5X 1C7
(416) 660-8117

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to confirm that we have followed up to cancel a ‘contract’ with the corporation ‘‘Ontario Green Savings’’ on the night of Monday, February 10, 2020. We called their number (1 866 899 9917) shortly after they came to our house that same evening and misled us into signing a contract by saying that we needed to sign a form to provide our consent to see if we were eligible for the program. We made the call the evening of Monday February 10, 2020 to confirm that we wanted to cancel the contract.

The company ‘‘Ontario Green Savings’’ operates door to door, selling thermostats and other smart home products and told us that they served as an intermediary for the Ontario Government in providing incentives and offers like free smart thermostats for more energy efficient homes to consumers (similar to the Ontario GreenON program). Upon research online, we found out that they have no affiliation with the GreenOntario Fund (from the BBB’s website). The company is federally incorporated under the name 1039219 Canada Corp, and operates as Ontario Green Savings.

Salespeople from ‘‘Ontario Green Savings’’ invited themselves into our home after calling my boyfriend, *****, who unfortunately does not speak English fluently enough to have understood what the salespeople were saying and what it all entailed, being told it was a government program. No services were offered in French. While the business’ website outlines that they will not show up at a consumer’s home unless we fill out an online form, representatives of the Ontario Green Savings representatives contacted my boyfriend spontaneously by phone to invite themselves in our home (which is prohibited by Ontario Bill 59) to check on our natural gas furnace for what they mentioned was an ‘energy assessment. As stipulated in the Ontario Consumer Protection Act, even if we had called in for this energy assessment (which we did not, they contacted us) or any reason other than entering into a contract (e.g. to confirm our eligibility for a specific program) for a product on the restricted list (which includes furnaces and air conditioners), they cannot enter into a new contract with us, but are only able to leave information about the products and services they offer. This was on Monday, February 10, 2020 at approximately 18:12.

We did not provide any financial information about ourselves, such as a void cheque, or our bank account information, when signing the form that they told us was required to see if, first of all, we were eligible for the program. Moreover, we were told by the salesperson (George Nehme) to speak to someone over the phone to confirm what was written on the sales contract (and thereby probably luring us into verbally consenting in front of a witness of the validity of the ‘contract’), we told her over the phone that we were not interested, and had only signed the document as we were told it did not mean this was an engagement on our end, and was strictly for them to confirm if we were eligible for the program and to collect information about our past hydro-electricity and natural gas bills (a consent form).

According to our rights under the Consumer Protection Act, we have 10 days to cancel the contract under the ‘cooling-off period’, when signing a contract in our home. This letter confirms that we are, thereby, requesting a cancellation of the ‘contract’ (see attached for a copy).

G***** N***** had very questionable and misleading sales practices, as he made us believe that their company was affiliated with the Government of Ontario, pressured us into signing a ‘sales contract’ when telling us it was only to get our consent to seek if we were eligible for the program, and pressured us into agreeing on the spot to a ‘sales contract’ when they said they were coming for a home ‘energy assessment’. G***** N***** was ‘flashing’ quickly different handouts in laminated paper detailing the ‘program’ and how they were affiliated with the Government of Ontario and their credentials – but never handed out anything to us, nor did he let us look at the laminated handouts more closely – he would just put them back into his briefcase. Moreover, he told us of the savings we would be getting with a new furnace and a new thermostat, and wrote it all down on a piece of paper – which he then put back quickly inside his briefcase, telling us we could not keep this paper as they needed it for their ‘files’. I took a picture of the handout, which you can find enclosed to this letter. G***** N***** used manipulative tactics and high-pressure sales tricks as well, such as telling us that we would benefit from a free installation if we agreed to have them come to our home on Saturday February 15, 2020 (a mere 5 days after coming into our home) for the installation, since they were in the geographical area of East Ottawa already – otherwise it would be at additional costs, as the company would be servicing other areas. G***** N***** also mentioned that they were recognized by Enbridge and worked with that company in providing us with savings (including a cash rebate).

Lastly, we were required to acknowledge the following terms and conditions:"By completing this request for a quote/in-home visit and voluntarily providing your personal information, you consent to the collection and use of such information by us only for the purposes of responding to your request and assisting with the in-home sales appointment for purchase/lease of any HVAC, water treatment or air treatment products you have scheduled. For greater certainty, you have initiated contact and requested and authorized Ontario Green Savings to attend your house to explain its purchase/lease programs." This is misleading as they had contacted us about a free ‘home energy assessment’ and had told us about the ‘free’ installation of a thermostat, not to sign a contract for home equipment. Ontario Bill 59 states that companies cannot sell any of the prohibited equipment to us in our home unless we have contacted the company directly and invited them expressly for the purpose of signing a contract, which we did not.

This cancellation letter was sent by registered mail, and we have a record of it with the post stamp showing we sent it on Tuesday February 11, 2020: the day after they invited themselves to our home on the evening of Monday February 10, 2020, and thus well within the 10 days cooling-off period.

Copies of this letter have also been sent to:
1) Consumer Protection Ontario
Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
PO Box 450, 1201 Wilson Avenue Station A
Toronto (ON) M3M /1J8
2) Office of Consumer Affairs (OCA)
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Government of Canada
Place du Portage I
50 Victoria Street, Room C-114, Gatineau (QC) K1A 0C9
3) Better Business Bureau
BBB of Eastern & Northern Ontario & the Outaouais
Ottawa (ON) K1V 1C1
(613) 237-4856

And this letter (personal information was redacted) was also posted online on various Canadian forums where online users discuss fraudulent sales and misleading advertisement practices.

*****, homeowner
Aug 6, 2014
830 posts
296 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Hey!

A Ontario Green Savings rep just dropped by for a scheduled assessment, and within about 3 minutes I realized it's a total scam. Dude spent 20 minutes trying to get me to pay $90/month to rent a furnace.

BUT - when Ontario Green Savings initially called me to schedule the appointment, they said they were following on the free smart thermostat I got as part of the GreenON Green Ontario Fund (which to the best of my knowledge was legit). They knew my full name, address, date I signed up for the program, date it was installed. That's why I agreed to schedule an appointment in the first place.

How'd they get all that info? Is Gov't of Ontario leaking my data? Is GreenON recipient info published somewhere? Was GreenON a scam too? What gives?
Feb 18, 2020
2 posts
They are in the Ottawa area..... total scam

They do not have a proper mailing address on their contract .... the address is fraudulent

The assessments done by someone with no accreditation to do energy assessments.

Stay away.....