• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2022 4:59 am
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON

Ontario Green Savings - Marketplace Episode

Great episode from marketplace that exposes HVAC scams on Furnaces, Water Tanks, etc.

And $12,000 liens being attached to homes for doorbell cameras and other equipment.
40 replies
Jan 7, 2008
27 posts
21 upvotes
CEO of this company also got away with hit and run that led to a death. There's a special place for these types of ppl.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4081 posts
1967 upvotes
Toronto
Are these the same folks who installed the Nest smoke detectors? Anyone check that they didn't put a lien on?
Deal Expert
Jan 10, 2008
15200 posts
35260 upvotes
Nation's capital
Am sure many politicians receive quite a few brown Manila envelopes from all these companies

These tactics have been mentioned , talked about and discussed for many decades yet no one in any government has done a damn thing about it
Oct 9, 2019
497 posts
353 upvotes
These are the guys who helped Wynne retire
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8251 posts
5752 upvotes
Dealfiber wrote: These are the guys who helped Wynne retire
Explain

I think you mean GreenOn which a lot of RFD took advantage of and was funded by cap and trade.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1678 posts
2053 upvotes
GTA
Axle reminds me of the 20-something year old GreenOn technician who came by my place in a BMW 3 series or 5 series to install a Nest Thermostat. I thought it was odd that he'd make enough doing house calls to drive a BMW.

Later on, the thermostat stopped working in the middle of winter because it wasn't even compatible with my heater. Went back to a 'dumb' thermostat' and while it's not perfect, it hasn't stopped working either.

Edit: Looks like GreenOn wasn't a scam... Phew! Am I relieved! (I probably researched it then and just forgotten the details)
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15718 posts
7437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GSD wrote: Are these the same folks who installed the Nest smoke detectors? Anyone check that they didn't put a lien on?
Is there a way to check for free? It seems like the service from the government is behind a pay wall.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8251 posts
5752 upvotes
QuicKi7 wrote: Axle reminds me of the 20-something year old GreenOn technician who came by my place in a BMW 3 series or 5 series to install a Nest Thermostat. I thought it was odd that he'd make enough doing house calls to drive a BMW.

Later on, the thermostat stopped working in the middle of winter because it wasn't even compatible with my heater. Went back to a 'dumb' thermostat' and while it's not perfect, it hasn't stopped working either.

Edit: Looks like GreenOn wasn't a scam... Phew! Am I relieved! (I probably researched it then and just forgotten the details)
There are 16-18 year olds without jobs driving BMWs.....that doesn't mean anything
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1678 posts
2053 upvotes
GTA
Squirrel99 wrote: There are 16-18 year olds without jobs driving BMWs.....that doesn't mean anything
Hmm... Good point. Lol
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4081 posts
1967 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote: Is there a way to check for free? It seems like the service from the government is behind a pay wall.
Not sure put someone who got one of the 50,000 smoke detectors must have sold there home by now and figured out if a lien was applied.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Having a lien placed against your home should never be allowed and I feel for anyone that was scammed.
If something seems to be good true, it probably is and nothing is free :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6365 posts
6726 upvotes
Center of Canada
So many of those scam for years. It got better after they ban door to door.
I still remember before it was ban, there are dor to door almost every day.

Anyone remember a company call "Ontario Hime Services" ??
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2016
1266 posts
683 upvotes
Last week when the episode aired...there were all these negative google reviews...well guess what...the negative reviews have all been removed. I agree that negative reviews from non-customers shouldn't count but interesting how quick they were to get them deleted.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2016
1266 posts
683 upvotes
sixer wrote:

Great episode from marketplace that exposes HVAC scams on Furnaces, Water Tanks, etc.

And $12,000 liens being attached to homes for doorbell cameras and other equipment.
We definitely have to spread the word about this shady company. What they are getting away with is absolutely criminal and shouldn't be allowed. I don't normally want to flame a company and put people out of work - however when a company treats customers like this they have to be stopped.
Feb 22, 2008
184 posts
61 upvotes
QuicKi7 wrote:
This had me nervous as well. Had to go through my old emails to see if it was actually GreenOn who gave me the thermostat or this Ontario Green Savings. My mind is set at ease now
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9134 posts
7079 upvotes
West GTEH!
Saw this Marketplace episode. Very Interesting.

Definitely NOT contacting Ontario Green Savings (Scammers) for my furnace/Water Tank replacement.
😎
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
This company is just an example. Don't get too fixated on Ontario Green Savings. In general, all rental companies are pretty much the same. Whether it is Ontario Green Savings, or Reliance, or Enercare. Never get into rental for any of the home appliances. If you are low on funds, better use credit card or take a loan from the bank.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
IndyBeak wrote: This company is just an example. Don't get too fixated on Ontario Green Savings. In general, all rental companies are pretty much the same. Whether it is Ontario Green Savings, or Reliance, or Enercare. Never get into rental for any of the home appliances. If you are low on funds, better use credit card or take a loan from the bank.
Ontario Green savings is being reported by marketplace as putting liens against people's homes and their rental contracts do not give you an out without an incredibly unreasonable payout.

They give some companies that offer fair deals for renting a bad name. Yes, renting does cost more in long run, but it works when offered by a reputable company.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2016
1266 posts
683 upvotes
maasai wrote: This had me nervous as well. Had to go through my old emails to see if it was actually GreenOn who gave me the thermostat or this Ontario Green Savings. My mind is set at ease now
Yeah...GreenON was legitimate Ontario Provincial program. It was a great program in my opinion. However, as we know, the PC government doesn't prioritize the environment and stuff like that. It's not part of their mandate. I am not trying to get into a political debate. Actions speak louder than words. The first things to get cut when they went into power was energy savings programs, Electric car rebates etc etc. Yes some of it was to help the tax payer, but I was firmly against cutting the energy rebate programs. That program, in my opinion actually helped people, especially seniors (save on electricity and other things.) Just my opinion. Not disparaging the PC government, nor do I care to debate who the better party is.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)