Automotive

Ontario hiking ethanol content in gasoline to help fight climate change

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 4:30 pm
Oct 11, 2007
281 posts
275 upvotes
Yah you aren't helping environment. The ethanol is worse gas kilometerage (yes I am not going to use milage as we don't use miles in Canada). I'll stick to those that use 100% gasoline , Shell Vpower 91.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3899 posts
2812 upvotes
Toronto
-------------
Last edited by drz400 on Nov 25th, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3610 posts
1875 upvotes
So apart from worse gas mileage, does ethanol have a negative impact on the vehicle?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37754 posts
5483 upvotes
Winnipeg
aeba7 wrote: standby for new mandatory stickers at every gas pump
edit: fixed error in original sticker
I remember the last time when industry wants to put more corn into cars there was a global riot on food shortage and hike in pricing.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37754 posts
5483 upvotes
Winnipeg
engineered wrote: What would they be paying us for? To not cut down our forests? Why does it matter what our density is? Shouldn't per capita output matter?
The planet doesn't care about per capita values, only care about the total green house gas emission as far as global warming is concerned, therefore the best method is to reduce population. Canada have been doing a fantastic job at keeping our population growth below the replacement rate, therefore we can treat ourselves to elevated emission quotas. Tell the rest of the world to stop breeding and they too can have unlimited emissions.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37754 posts
5483 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: More ethanol and same price, but less milliage I will get from the same tank of gas.
Isn't really carbon savings if I need to use more fuel to go same distance as less energy in ethanol. Is a hike in my cost to drive, and drives a food resource which can be used for livestock feed and people to be diverted driving up costs for everyone.
Electric cars are the solution let's get working on the infrastructure in expanded public charging stations to make transition quicker, ethanol expansion isn't really an answer imho.
I also like EV but make no mistake it merely shifts the emission of battery production to crappy 3rd world backwaters instead of burning fossil here, virtual signaling at its best. Go look up how un-green it is to extract rare earth metal and how most of the world still burn coal/gas to produce power.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37754 posts
5483 upvotes
Winnipeg
craftsman wrote: Electric cars are what we want to be the solution but like many things, what we want isn't necessarily what is right. The Globe And Mail had a great opinion piece on electric cars in Norway and how they spent billions to get people into electric cars - Norway’s electric car subsidies: A lot of money for not a lot of gain.
NOTE> This piece ignores all of the extra pollution that was generated by making the cars and the infrastructure as well as the disposal of old infrastructure and cars BEFORE the end of their useful life.
Remember that the 10% reduction in emission was road emissions and NOT total overall emissions. Statistics show that transport emissions (which include road emissions as well as rail, air. and marine transport) account for 24% of total overall emissions around the world. In other words, a lot less than 2.4% of Norway's total overall emissions.
Now, if you put the above into the context of ethanol, how much of a reduction in emissions will we see by using ethanol considering replacing large numbers of gas-base cars reduced emissions in Norway by less than 2.4%.
Article behind paywall. Norway exports a lot of fossil for other country to burn and generate emission, sure they feel good themselves about been green, what a joke.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1781 posts
2827 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Long long time ago I was shown a documentary about the overproduction of corn in North America, and how in order to alleviate that issue; businesses started to incorporate corn byproducts into everything. glucose...ethanol...potato chips...poultry...fish.
Would not be surprised if this was one of the reasons that they're jacking this up.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2625 posts
682 upvotes
Ottawa
Just replace regular/mid grade with e85 and call her a day.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20766 posts
14253 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
divx wrote: Article behind paywall. Norway exports a lot of fossil for other country to burn and generate emission, sure they feel good themselves about been green, what a joke.
Yep - those darn paywalls which is the reason why I quoted from the article. The mods here have made it clear that they don't want the entire article quoted so I do selections. Oil exports is the reason why Norway can afford to do the green stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9193 posts
3242 upvotes
Toronto
HiddenEmailer wrote: eco propaganda is really annoying
people forget or ignore thanks largely to our large forested unihabited north and relatively low population densities Canada is one of the lucky less than a handful of countries that are carbon sinks in the world.
You do understand that borders and countries are constructs, right? The climate effects the planet regardless of what individual countries do.
Face With Tears Of Joy
Jul 7, 2020
374 posts
195 upvotes
Ford has turned out to just be a continuation of the horrendous McGuinty-Wynne Liberals. This is exactly the kind of stupidity I would have expected from those two if they were still in charge.
Jul 7, 2020
374 posts
195 upvotes
crystallight wrote: So apart from worse gas mileage, does ethanol have a negative impact on the vehicle?
It damages the engine and fuel system.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9193 posts
3242 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote: .....
Remember that the 10% reduction in emission was road emissions and NOT total overall emissions. Statistics show that transport emissions (which include road emissions as well as rail, air. and marine transport) account for 24% of total overall emissions around the world. In other words, a lot less than 2.4% of Norway's total overall emissions.

Now, if you put the above into the context of ethanol, how much of a reduction in emissions will we see by using ethanol considering replacing large numbers of gas-base cars reduced emissions in Norway by less than 2.4%.
Any argument based on the phrase "statistics show" without actually showing the statistic is meaningless. If the "statistics show" something, show the statistics, or, at the very least, cite your source. :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20766 posts
14253 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Jimbobs wrote: Any argument based on the phrase "statistics show" without actually showing the statistic is meaningless. If the "statistics show" something, show the statistics, or, at the very least, cite your source. :facepalm:
If you have been following anything I write on RFD using statistics, you'll know that my sources are credible. But since you asked, the IEA report on CO2 emissions from fuel combustion 2018 shows on page 98 that transportation emits 7,866.0 million metric tons of CO2 and the world total is 32,314.2 million which is surprisingly 24.3%. Here's a link to the report itself - http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.i ... lights.pdf

So please, before you start trying to kill the messenger, try to use google before you make a fool out of yourself.
Oct 25, 2020
476 posts
419 upvotes
crystallight wrote: So apart from worse gas mileage, does ethanol have a negative impact on the vehicle?
Assuming you drive the vehicle regularly, not very much. Ethanol can be harmful to fuel system if it sits for long periods of time. EI if you store something, ethanol free is preferred.

Modern cars are designed to handle ethanol in fuel.
Ethanol burns cooler in high concentration which can be good for engine temperatures.
The extra 5% probably won't change much.
Banned
Nov 9, 2020
19 posts
10 upvotes
Just skip the eco green bullshit, can some one confirm if ethanol create problem in engine in long run.
I am already raped by c tax at pump, don't want to get raped again with broken engine.
Aug 8, 2004
610 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
dasvedania wrote: Just skip the eco green bullshit, can some one confirm if ethanol create problem in engine in long run.
I am already raped by c tax at pump, don't want to get raped again with broken engine.
If you’ve got a car newer than 2007, you’ll be fine. It is corrosive but from what I understand, newer fuel systems are designed to take the abuse.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/h ... -15096134/

The main issue is that ethanol attracts more water than gasoline so if you’ve got a vehicle that sits for a while, it’s probably a good idea to put some additives in the tank.

Here’s what Costco does:

Costco uses ethanol-compatible filters designed to catch sediment, water or phase-separated ethanol and water mixtures for locations that sell gasoline with ethanol.

Costco’s electronic sensors continuously monitor our underground storage tanks for water.

We physically take samples and inspect our tanks at least weekly to confirm there is no contamination.
Dec 4, 2017
503 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
I wish Canadian gas stations also sell ethanol free gas. Many US stations give shoppers the choice, typically ethanol free gas is a few bucks more per fill up. Also Canadian gas station billboards should list prices for all fuel grades.
Aug 8, 2004
610 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
sunnykw2305 wrote: I wish Canadian gas stations also sell ethanol free gas. Many US stations give shoppers the choice, typically ethanol free gas is a few bucks more per fill up. Also Canadian gas station billboards should list prices for all fuel grades.
There's a lot of gas stations selling ethanol free premium.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)