Ontario hiking ethanol content in gasoline to help fight climate change

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 4:30 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2761 posts
3832 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Might be a "mileage monster" like our Sonata Hybrid was (similar numbers), but not even close to the lowest cost of ownership. It costs about $1.50 for 100km of driving in an EV (even after Ontario has doubled electricity pricing since 2018 - used to be under $1.00).
Cost of ownership is low on my list of requirements for a vehicle, if it wasn't I'd probably drive a EV. Can't argue the cost per km.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9604 posts
8179 upvotes
Kitchener
mxthor3 wrote: Cost of ownership is low on my list of requirements for a vehicle, if it wasn't I'd probably drive a EV. Can't argue the cost per km.
Next vehicle a Ram TRX???
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1431 posts
1271 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
mxthor3 wrote: I can get 1200-1300kms in the summer if I baby my 335d. Winter mode more like 800-1000kms on average. If you want a mileage monster, buy an older TDI lol.
My Honda Fit was nice. I was paying 0.75/L at one point here in AB. $20 fill got me 500km.

Diesel costs a fair bit more, it still hovers around $1 or even more per liter. It's pretty much premium pricing for that stuff. And a lot of diesels have higher repair/maintenance costs. More coolant, more motor oil, etc. My Honda Fit was happy with $4 shipped Rockauto oil filters and $12 jug of Motomaster 5w20 which it only used 3.8L of the 5L.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2761 posts
3832 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Next vehicle a Ram TRX???
Wouldn't that be fun, lol!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2761 posts
3832 upvotes
Barrie, ON
tehwegz wrote: My Honda Fit was nice. I was paying 0.75/L at one point here in AB. $20 fill got me 500km.

Diesel costs a fair bit more, it still hovers around $1 or even more per liter. It's pretty much premium pricing for that stuff. And a lot of diesels have higher repair/maintenance costs. More coolant, more motor oil, etc. My Honda Fit was happy with $4 shipped Rockauto oil filters and $12 jug of Motomaster 5w20 which it only used 3.8L of the 5L.
Gas vs diesel is a wash, they're both around $1 per L. A rotary pump TDI is a 50-55MPG (US) vehicle, your Fit would be lucky to do half that on average. I fed my old TDI a constant supply of $22 Esso oil every 20k and $7 WIX filters, retired and still running perfectly at 610,000kms. You'll never convince me a Fit is better in any way :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6201 posts
4062 upvotes
Toronto
I did 3 fill ups of Shell 91 (0%) and 3 fill ups of Esso 93 (10%) a few times over the summer and didn't really notice a that much of difference in mileage, my butt dyno didn't notice any power gains either.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Nov 9, 2009
807 posts
138 upvotes
Wellington, ON
If I have water in my tank, will gasoline with ethanol take care of it? If not what do you recommend?
++++++++++++++
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2855 posts
2545 upvotes
Toronto
Rob_EV wrote: Might be a "mileage monster" like our Sonata Hybrid was (similar numbers), but not even close to the lowest cost of ownership. It costs about $1.50 for 100km of driving in an EV (even after Ontario has doubled electricity pricing since 2018 - used to be under $1.00).
mxthor3 wrote:
Cost of ownership is low on my list of requirements for a vehicle, if it wasn't I'd probably drive a EV. Can't argue the cost per km.
Fuel vs electric cost yes EV wins. However if you look at total cost of ownership it could be a bit of a toss up depending how much you drive as most of the good EV cost quite a bit more than the gas counterparts. Sure you don't have to do oil changes but if a Tesla sedan is $70k vs a 35k Camry sedan then the cost of the car is way more than what you would spend on fuel in the lifetime of the vehicle.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2761 posts
3832 upvotes
Barrie, ON
inhaliburton wrote: If I have water in my tank, will gasoline with ethanol take care of it? If not what do you recommend?
Drain the tank and refill.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9604 posts
8179 upvotes
Kitchener
zobi123 wrote: Fuel vs electric cost yes EV wins. However if you look at total cost of ownership it could be a bit of a toss up depending how much you drive as most of the good EV cost quite a bit more than the gas counterparts. Sure you don't have to do oil changes but if a Tesla sedan is $70k vs a 35k Camry sedan then the cost of the car is way more than what you would spend on fuel in the lifetime of the vehicle.
Around $48,000 in Ontario, less in BC and a lot less in Quebec. Not $70k as you state...unless you're insistent on buying the AWD - which is completely unnecessary on Toronto's plowed roads and does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds.
Oct 25, 2020
476 posts
419 upvotes
inhaliburton wrote: If I have water in my tank, will gasoline with ethanol take care of it? If not what do you recommend?
Some seafoam in the tank will help deal with a small quantity. If there is a lot then drain and refill.
Dec 15, 2017
887 posts
1039 upvotes
gasline antifreeze or also known as methyl hydrate 100% in the paint thinner aisle. Add about 200ml at a time to a full tank.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19764 posts
23190 upvotes
GTA
BeaverLiquor wrote: I did 3 fill ups of Shell 91 (0%) and 3 fill ups of Esso 93 (10%) a few times over the summer and didn't really notice a that much of difference in mileage, my butt dyno didn't notice any power gains either.
Unless you do a highly controlled study, you are unlikely to notice. Ethanol has 10% less energy, so 10% of 10% is only 1%.
Also, using higher octane fuel, your car may sense that and increase timing, giving more power/mpg. You'd want to compare the same octane fuel. What matters to most people is mpg/$
That said, no reason to do a study, the science is that ethanol has less energy per unit of volume.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20766 posts
14253 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Depends on the amount of water and the amount of ethanol used.