(Ontario) Hydro Billing - You can now opt out of Time-of-Use Pricing

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2020 4:33 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2008
236 posts
106 upvotes

(Ontario) Hydro Billing - You can now opt out of Time-of-Use Pricing

Could not find this being shared already, so have a look if this applies to you:

On November 1, 2020, new winter TOU and Tiered prices will be set, and TOU customers will resume paying TOU prices that are different at different times of the day. If you’re a residential or small business customer that pays TOU prices, you can choose to switch to Tiered prices as of October 13, 2020.

https://www.oeb.ca/rates-and-your-bill/ ... city-rates

Adding a couple of useful links:

Updated prices effective 1 November 2020 https://www.oeb.ca/newsroom/2020/ontari ... businesses Thanks to @Chevy II

A bill calculator on the OEB: https://www.oeb.ca/rates-and-your-bill/bill-calculator Thanks to @Geodude19
Last edited by g_b_ya on Oct 14th, 2020 6:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
325 replies
Jun 25, 2010
395 posts
65 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
How do we find out the new winter TOU and Tiered prices? Looking for Hamilton specifically.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1572 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
So, what is everyone going to choose?
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $68 150 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / Plastiq / Paymi / Ampli
Jan 4, 2006
63 posts
8 upvotes
Waterloo
Hadn’t heard of this - thx OP.

Trying to find the tiered rate on the Wilmer Kitchener page is brutal. Will give them a cal tomorrow and see what the rates are. They do offer a historical usage download option so I’m interested to run the two pricing plans against historical usage...
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4671 posts
5659 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Simple.. if you are WFH, tiered pricing is way better as long as you use less than 30kwh per day average.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8924 posts
4238 upvotes
Markham
er34er34 wrote: Simple.. if you are WFH, tiered pricing is way better as long as you use less than 30kwh per day average.
Isn't wfh consuming more energy?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4454 posts
3518 upvotes
smartie wrote: Isn't wfh consuming more energy?
Not during the day/peak times, your monitor and laptop isn't consuming much energy. It's cooking, laundry etc that will. Exception being if you use electric heat and tend to crank it up during day in winter

Most people will be much better off with TOU rates wfh or not.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1358 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
er34er34 wrote: Simple.. if you are WFH, tiered pricing is way better as long as you use less than 30kwh per day average.
smartie wrote: Isn't wfh consuming more energy?
StatsGuy wrote: Not during the day/peak times, your monitor and laptop isn't consuming much energy. It's cooking, laundry etc that will. Exception being if you use electric heat and tend to crank it up during day in winter

Honestly it all depends on new tiered rates. I calculated based on history and Tiered was toonie expensive compared to TOU. So freedom to use whenever during wfh is worth more to me than saving a toonie.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6315 posts
2749 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Are we allowed to change to say tiered for winter and tou for summer?

Of course the rates are still not up, nor the forms... guess tomorrow.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4671 posts
5659 upvotes
Toronto, ON
StatsGuy wrote:
Not during the day/peak times, your monitor and laptop isn't consuming much energy. It's cooking, laundry etc that will. Exception being if you use electric heat and tend to crank it up during day in winter

JaiKor wrote: Honestly it all depends on new tiered rates. I calculated based on history and Tiered was toonie expensive compared to TOU. So freedom to use whenever during wfh is worth more to me than saving a toonie.
Lights, computer, cooking lunch, using appliances during the day, AC/furnace blower.. I know I definitely I definitely came out ahead with Tiered. Pre-Covid, yes it'd be pretty close as we were primarily consuming during the off peak hours.

I admit I'm spectulating on the tiered rate based on the historical tiered rates compared to TOU.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1106 posts
542 upvotes
Ripley
Has anyone found the actual rate? I've logged in to 2 different utilities and it clearly explains the choice but doesn't give the rates.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5032 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto
No way we'll hit above 1000 KWH for winter. Even with this crazy hot summer and WFH, we were barely above 1000 KWh, only for July/Aug.

So Tiered price ($0.119) will be ~17% more than the TOU Off-Peak ($0.101), while TOU Mid-Peak and On-Peak are 21% and 75% more expensive than Tiered. Looking at last Winter we had more than 30% of usage in Mid or On-Peak, so TOU would be marginally more expensive than Tiered per month. And as another poster said, Tiered has the big advantage of not having to remember when and what date of the week to do what to avoid the peaks. I can actually go do a load of laundry while waiting for another work meeting to start.

The really bad period for Winter TOU is the 5-7pm ON-Peak time. That's right at dinner prep time and completely unavoidable.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1358 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
I see price comparison chart on Alectra account for both pricing model. Easy to figure out what works for you.
Oct 24, 2016
938 posts
775 upvotes
ON
My account/Meter data/Price comparison on the Alectra website makes use of a price comparison tool and shows you how much you will pay with each option. I did a comparison for the past several months. The difference was minimal during the peak summer months when AC was running at full blast. With AC off now, in my case, tiered pricing is the way to go.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Oct 31, 2003
856 posts
136 upvotes
Woodbridge
Does anyone know if this is one way? ie cant go back to TOU?

If its not, how do we go back to TOU?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1358 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
CLOSER wrote: Does anyone know if this is one way? ie cant go back to TOU?

If its not, how do we go back to TOU?
Says once in billing cycle. I see an option to go back but may not happen in then current billing cycle.