Ontario law 10 days cooling off period

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2018 12:56 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11466 posts
6642 upvotes
Paris
rcmpvet wrote: @Jerico This is what confuses the consumer and also applies reflects on the Ontario Consumer website that was previously posted, where I stated the information is not always legally correct. I stand by my interpretation of the Act itself. One has to fully read all the applicable sections as well as the regulations I posted in Post #18; Section 35.1(4)(b) of those regulations specifically exempts the supplier of the requirements of Section 43.1(1) of the Act itself if:

(b) the supplier has initiated contact with the consumer for any purpose by any means of communication, other than communication in person at the consumer’s dwelling, and the consumer has invited the supplier to attend at the consumer’s dwelling;
I agree with you. If you say “come by to give me a quote” that’s not at all the same as “knock knock lemme give you a quote”

Lawyers probably being careful and just telling us to adhere anyway.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3614 posts
1483 upvotes
, ON
Jerico wrote: I agree with you. If you say “come by to give me a quote” that’s not at all the same as “knock knock lemme give you a quote”

Lawyers probably being careful and just telling us to adhere anyway.
Just to clarify we met them in the Toronto home show and one of them invited us for free quote with 3D VR walk through design. I took their invitation/offer. So technically we didn’t actually initiate the invitation.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4791 posts
4540 upvotes
Ottawa
JWL wrote: If you aren't confident you're going to proceed with that contractor, don't sign a contract and avoid the hassle of having to get out of it.

As others have said, it seems sketchy that they have a "special price" that expires. Ask them for a written quote that is good for 15 days so you can ensure it covers all the work and you understand the terms.
I agree. You have no idea if the "special price" is of any value if you have not compared with others. Sales pressure tactics like these are often used to quickly book a season of work and then the home owners have to deal with trying to get the work completed on time and as promised.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3614 posts
1483 upvotes
, ON
Anyone has experience with Harmony basement and Penguin basement or AGM basement?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11466 posts
6642 upvotes
Paris
anotherbargainhunter wrote: Just to clarify we met them in the Toronto home show and one of them invited us for free quote with 3D VR walk through design. I took their invitation/offer. So technically we didn’t actually initiate the invitation.
The conversation also didn’t start and end in the home. You were at a retail show and accepted their offer, giving consent to them coming over. Unless they came over within the hour, you had a cooling off period between the home show and them coming to your door. You had a choice to say no then, then another chance now to say no to the contract. Like vampires, you invited them in.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3614 posts
1483 upvotes
, ON
Jerico wrote: The conversation also didn’t start and end in the home. You were at a retail show and accepted their offer, giving consent to them coming over. Unless they came over within the hour, you had a cooling off period between the home show and them coming to your door. You had a choice to say no then, then another chance now to say no to the contract. Like vampires, you invited them in.
It does not matter. If we choose the to sign, it will take place in our home and not their office. The law does not say anything about the need of coming into your home within an hour if you meet them outside your home.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11466 posts
6642 upvotes
Paris
anotherbargainhunter wrote: It does not matter. If we choose the to sign, it will take place in our home and not their office. The law does not say anything about the need of coming into your home within an hour if you meet them outside your home.
There is still a cooling off period between when you made the appointment and they were in your home. The law is mostly around door to door sales and water heater crap. Your rights should still be protected even if you went to their office to sign.

In our case, its 10 days if you sign at home or our office.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)