GTA North

Ontario: Licence free fishing week July 4 - 19. Normal harvest limits in place

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
Expiry:
July 20, 2020
http://www.ontariofamilyfishing.com/
July 4 – 19, 2020 (12:01 a.m. Saturday to 11:59 p.m. Sunday). **EXTENDED BY 7 DAYS!**

I normally look forward to this each year but being this year with the whole covid thrown into the mix I didn't check on this till now. I should note that Toronto is still under a state of emergency and also according to the Ontario Hunting and Fishing federation all of Toronto's shores are closed for fishing. So if you're in Toronto and have a car or can tag along with someone with wheels or maybe bike it or bus it out of Toronto you can go fishing.

Normal catch limits are in place and please, PLEASE, mostly catch and release so others can enjoy as well. That means if you're lucky enough to catch a monster of a fish just take photos and release the fish. If you catch baby/small fish just take a photo and release. If the fish is within legal harvest size then try not to harvest too many.

For those that will be taking photos or admiring the fish they catch remember that a fish can last as long as you can hold your breath as a rule of thumb (approx 3mins) so have the camera ready before taking the fish out of the water and release the fish quickly to reduce the stress on the fish. If you plan on harvesting any fish AFAIK there is no live transporting of the fish so quikcly dispatch the fish quickly and put it on ice.

Also if you catch any round gobies they are an invasive species and should be dispatched quickly/humanely and disposed of. They can not be used for cut fishing bait (dispite me fishing beside this guy once that used cut gobies and was racking up a lot of perch but that was before I found you can't use them for bait).

So for those that have a lawn cut the grass short and give that lawn a good soaking before sun down and go out and pluck some worms for the next day.

https://www.ofah.org/covid19closures/
Toronto and Region Conservation (Albion Hills, Bathurst Glen Golf Course, Black Creek Pioneer Village, Heart Lake, Petticoat Creek). Note: All buildings, campgrounds, parks and parking lots closed; trails still open to the public; cycling in Albion Hills Conservation Park is not permitted; fishing is not permitted at this time.

...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
40 replies
Mar 27, 2011
881 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Don't even fish but upvoted for detailed and informative post
Feb 22, 2020
118 posts
223 upvotes
Calgary
God dammit, I purchased a 1day license yesterday while I was out in the lake of the woods with some friends. Wish I had known about this earlier.
Anyways, thanks for the post, I'm marking these days down on my calendar for next year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3370 posts
5383 upvotes
GTA North
cedarleaf wrote: God dammit, I purchased a 1day license yesterday while I was out in the lake of the woods with some friends. Wish I had known about this earlier.
Anyways, thanks for the post, I'm marking these days down on my calendar for next year.
Ouch. If you bought it at a dedicated fishing store in Ontario and tey didn't tell you about the licence free fishing week was in effect I'd likely not go back to that store. Now if you bought it at Canadian Tire/Walmart they may or may not know that. Hmm.... I wonder if you could call up the Ministry of Natural Resources and ask for credit back showing proof you bought it during the licence free fishing week.

It used to be only one week in the winter and one week in the summer for the licence free fishing week but in the last year or two they added in the mother/father day licence free weekends.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3370 posts
5383 upvotes
GTA North
If anyone is out fishing today or tomorrow check this video out. You are bound to (not jinxing anyone) to get a snag one day. This is a useful video in water that is moving to unhook a snagged line.

Also knock on wood you never get hooked. But the longer you're fishing over the years the odds are eventually one day not if but when you do get hooked always have pliers with you with a cutter on them. If you have ice then freeze the area for 10-20mins to numb out the area. Push the hook up and press hook with your pliers to snap off the barbed end. Re-ice the area you got hooked then just remove the hook.

Alternatively, if you don't have ice or if you do you can push the hook out of the skin, cut the hook off if you can then pull the hook out.

Aug 23, 2019
581 posts
430 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: If anyone is out fishing today or tomorrow check this video out. You are bound to (not jinxing anyone) to get a snag one day. This is a useful video in water that is moving to unhook a snagged line.

TE
Wait so if they're stuck under the skin, they'd have to cut around the whole area or leave it in there but that might get infection?

I'm never fishing ever. Grimacing Face
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
2501 posts
1761 upvotes
GTA
Zarkey wrote: Wait so if they're stuck under the skin, they'd have to cut around the whole area or leave it in there but that might get infection?

I'm never fishing ever. Grimacing Face
Be a man and just pull it out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3370 posts
5383 upvotes
GTA North
In my haste to get the posting out quickly before (had to run an errand but still wanted to post quickly because well if I post later then less people can go out and enjoy fishing or like that unfortunate person that bought a fishing permit without knowing about the licence free fishing week. ) I forgot to explain more on the goby issue.

The round goby is nearly everywhere in our water ways. The fines are high if you are caught with a live goby or using it for bait. One of the reasons for not using it as bait is because most poeple can't tell a female goby and if that female goby has fertilized eggs and you cut it up for bait you're just throwing the eggs back into the water. I don't agree with throwing the quickly dispatched goby back into the water for well the same reason if an other fish came by and chewed it up and that goby had eggs it would spread the problem around. There are many ways to quickly dispatch a goby. Being very light you could quickly throw it to the ground killing it that way or use a fish club (some people are buying that.... >_<;;) or you can use a rock/heavy branch/log or a shoe.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... -1.2726903
The minimum fine for possessing a live Goby is $305 and for using a Goby as bait is $240.

Sprague said “it's very common to catch Goby in the Great Lakes. They're in Lake Erie. They're in all the Great Lakes."

“If you do catch one, we recommend that you kill them and dispose of them in the garbage or throw them back in the water.”

Also if you do go fishing try to leave the place cleaner then you arrived. I always like to survey the area when I arrive. Take a walk about. See what is on the ground and clean up a bit at first. Some people don't realize (or care) that fishing line can snag animals. Left hooks can hook people and animals. So PLEASE clean up after yourselves and if need be clean up after others and gently remind those that litter not to do so as it harms the animals and also ruins it for other people fishing. What I mean by that is that places may become restricted to not allowing fishing by restricting land access to those that fish from the shore. Tho there are some ways around that if you have a boat or want to get your feet wet by walking in the water.

If you want to try fishing and don't want to spend a lot of money you can start off with some cheap tackle. Walmart has cheap hooks, tackle, and fishing line for like ~$1.50 for like 8-10 hooks for that price ( get #6 and #8 hook sizes as it is the most versatile and you can keep more bait on the hook), something like $4 for like 300-400ft of 6-8 pound test line, $1 for 3-4 clip on bobbers, not sure the price of squeeze on weighs but cheap and you get like 30 of them for the small ones. At this time you should be able to find some cheap fishing rods on sale. Hell you might even luck out by finding a Dollarama with a telescopic fishing rod, reel, and IIRC it came with fishing line as well (I looked at it before but never bought one...I should have for $4 but I think it was 6# test line. It was an open face spinning reel)

One good thing about taking a moment to clean up the little in the area you are at (and when you leave) is that (in the spirit of an RFDer) you can often find free tackle. Hell, if you are not afraid of getting for feet (or body) wet and the water you're at is deemed clean and safe for swimming then jump in and look around the shores for any snagged lures by following any fishing line. I remember one year fishing at lake simcoe and this young kid (think his name was Austin) jumped into the waters and fishied out a bunch of fishing lures and the enterprising young man was selling them for $5 IIRC. We're talking like $10-15 lures here. I didn't buy any but heck you could always find some nice lures to sell or add to your collection. Also most of the fishing birds nest line I would throw into the garbage bin but you could also save some of that fishing line to make leaders (or fishing setups if you will..) for easy on/off setups.

This is a great site to keep handy. Not just for fishing but useful for many other things in life. Only got cordage and need to secure that TV to roof of the car? Or lumber? Or maybe someone nicked your bungee cord off your bike and you're on beer/non alchohalic run duty for your school/college/universaty mates, etc

https://www.animatedknots.com/

https://www.animatedknots.com/fishing-knots

Here are some knots you should know.

This is the palomar knot. One of the easiest knots to remember. You could try this blind folded or in the dead of night (if night fishing and your flashlight just ran out of batteries, you did bring spares right? :) )

https://www.animatedknots.com/palomar-knot

https://www.animatedknots.com/uni-knot

https://www.animatedknots.com/arbor-knot (used for attaching line to your fishing reel if you bought a fishing rod/reel without line spooled on that is or if you're switching out your old line)

There are some android/iphone apps you can download for the fishing knots but you can also download the fishing knots from the animated fishing knots youtube page using a website downloader (copy the youtube link and paste into the website downloader to download) such as https://www.converto.io/en5/? (I have adblock installed so not sure if it has ads) and keep them on your phone or PDA for reference.

For the newbies. Learning how to use the fishing rod.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3370 posts
5383 upvotes
GTA North
If you're lucky to harvest some fish here is a video on how to process the fish. Dollarama has fillet knives as well.

EDIT:

Some of the best times for fishing are just as the sun is coming up and 2-3hrs before sundown. There are some folks that night fish as the fish do come closer to the shore to feed. You can find mini glow sticks at pretty much any dedicated fishing shop or at some large Can.Tire/Walmarts to tape onto your floating bobber to see where your bobber is at night. You can also buy illuminated bobbers as well. I recommend getting 2-3 bobbers (be it day or night fishing) in case something gets snagged up and you have to cut the line.

A lot of people that fish are friendly to helping newbies. Heck sharing a little bait like earthworms is common. And if one person is leaving and not fishing anymore some will give thier worms away. I find a lot of people fishing to be friendly and helpful to those new or wanting to learn. Another item I recommend is clip on bells. They are handy to have and I think BassCity (near Hwy 7/Warden, close to the train tracks) has them for like $1.50-$2.00 so get 1-2 of them. Very handy to have if you are fishing say for carp or catfish and you just want to throw your line into the water, put your fishing rod on a stick in the ground fishing pole holder (or get a 'Y' branch and stick it in the ground), clip the bells on the tip of your fishing rod, and IDK, watch a video, play a game, read, cook, etc and if anything bites you will heard it. Jut make sure you don't set your drag tight or you'll see your rod disappear. It'll take a few fish reel in's to get the feel and how to adjust your drag and/or adjusting your drag on the fly meaning while you've got a fish on if you need to feather the drag (ie. if you're using ultralight kit like a pen fishing rod on 4lb with a 2lb leader going after 20+lb carp).

This guy is going at it in hard mode and to make it just that much more crazy the guy forgot to bring a net.

Here is it cued up to when the carp is coming to the boat for those that don't want to watch the whole video.
Last edited by thedealhunter2000 on Jul 18th, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 1, 2019
79 posts
64 upvotes
Also, don't be so distraught if you catch nothing. Sometimes it's a bad season or during a bad time of the day. My buddies initially didn't like fishing because they'd rarely catch anything (We'd only shore fish, as some of them would get motion sick from boats) and felt like it wasn't worth it. But later they enjoyed fishing for the company and atmosphere :)
Mar 18, 2013
389 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto
Today is July 18th, 2020 in Toronto just in case anyone whats to know.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2633 posts
1350 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Which flurocarbon line would you recommend for bass, walleye and pike fishing?

Have used braided line in the past and want to try flurocarbon.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16798 posts
3312 upvotes
GTA
i have less than zero experience fishing. how do i start?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15178 posts
6241 upvotes
RFD
actng wrote: i have less than zero experience fishing. how do i start?
Youtube is a start for fishing for beginner material.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
2501 posts
1761 upvotes
GTA
actng wrote: i have less than zero experience fishing. how do i start?
Buy a rod (CT usually has some on sale)
Get some lures and fishing line.
Watch some videos posted here to setup your rod and basics.
Find a fishing spot and have fun.

Edit: Bring some needle nose pliers with you so you can unhook the fish you catch.
Bring a cooler and ice if you plan to take some of the catch home.
Feb 22, 2020
118 posts
223 upvotes
Calgary
We bought 5x of those online while we were on the way from MB to ON. Wish we stopped by a store to get them now. Oh well, we had a good trip, caught a dozen or so nice walleyes and had a great time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3370 posts
5383 upvotes
GTA North
Akizuki wrote: Buy a rod (CT usually has some on sale)
Get some lures and fishing line.
Watch some videos posted here to setup your rod and basics.
Find a fishing spot and have fun.

Edit: Bring some needle nose pliers with you so you can unhook the fish you catch.
Bring a cooler and ice if you plan to take some of the catch home.
Don't forget the universal fishing bait is earthworms. Nearly every fish has been caught on it.

Canned corn kernals (with salt) can often be found on sale for cheap and stores a long time. You can catch everything from carp to trout on those (and I have cause carp, rainbow trout, and brown trout before on corn). If you have a slingshot or slingshot band one can also chum the waters by scattering some kernals around the water to lure the fish in to around where you line is. Wish a slingshot band or slingshot you can throw those kernalsa distance away to lure a lot of the fish closer to your location. Same deal with cut up earthworms as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)