Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Ontario: Licence free fishing week July 4 - 19. Normal harvest limits in place

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 6:04 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20535 posts
5867 upvotes
Scarberia
where's a good fishing place in scarborough lol...can u still fish at rouge valley or thats closed lol
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3439 posts
5454 upvotes
GTA North
mikka2017 wrote: where's a good fishing place in scarborough lol...can u still fish at rouge valley or thats closed lol
Rouge Beach is a good place. I was out there a few years ago for some night fishing and some guy was out there IIRC from some Hamilton bass or something but this guy had the electronic bite detectors and was a serious fisherman targeting carp. Showed up with chairs and a blanket. Was probably out there for 2hrs and helped me out for my first night fishing. That guy pulled in a massive carp. Probably a 20lb'er. The head on that carp was like 6-7inches wide. Fought that monster for a while and landed the fish on shore. IIRC that guy took some photos and unhooked the fish but the fish was tired and was in the shores head out of the water recouperating. Now I know many fish are about 3mins out of water or the average holding your breath IIRC is the easy way to remember but this fish was partly out of the water for I think 5-7mins just on the shore.

I think they have some air breathing lung ability. I'm not sure on that. I do know some fish have the ability to breath air (ie. Betta fish in the aquarium world) so for some fish they could last a bit longer then 3mins out of water.

Another place would be the Scarbrough Bluffs
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Jan 3, 2012
705 posts
315 upvotes
great white north
Poulet wrote: Which flurocarbon line would you recommend for bass, walleye and pike fishing?

Have used braided line in the past and want to try flurocarbon.
For my walleye and bass fishing, I find that I can get decent fluorocarbon line ( Berkeley vanish or Stren fluoro ) for about $8 to $9 for 100 yard rolls at amazon.ca (cheaper than CT etc) and used this as fluorocarbon leader line , using 3 to10 feet and joining to my braid line with the double uni knot (you tube for how to tie this). For big pikes or muskies, consider using wire leaders.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2499 posts
1305 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2634 posts
1350 upvotes
Orleans, ON
How is casting with a fluorocarbon line compared to a braided line? Can I fill up my reel with fluorocarbon or is it better to only use the fluorocarbon as a leader line? What is the most versatile pound test line?
Nov 26, 2014
72 posts
64 upvotes
Collingwood ON
Check out your local dollarama for basic tackle - now selling tons of fishing gear including $20 reels for $4.
Aug 17, 2019
83 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Poulet wrote: How is casting with a fluorocarbon line compared to a braided line? Can I fill up my reel with fluorocarbon or is it better to only use the fluorocarbon as a leader line? What is the most versatile pound test line?
Spool some mono on for your backing, then braid and then a 3ft flouro leader. Depending on what youre fishing for I would say 10-14lb test would be sufficient with a 6lb leader.
Nov 17, 2013
976 posts
194 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Wow you guys get a whole week free? In MB in think we only get a weekend and I barely notice it till it goes by. Wanted to get my oldest child (7 years) into it for the 1st time but always find out at the end of the weekend it was free fishing weekend

Upvoted for all the new modern fishing techniqies and information being presented, thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3439 posts
5454 upvotes
GTA North
If you're heading out today and in Toronto the city/town of Georgina is 45-60mins away pending where you are in Toronto (if downtown 60mins, or less if you want to ) is a great place to fish and not too far from Toronto.

There are also some nice beaches as well to enjoy at. The parking fees in this town are $4.00/hr. So IIRC the same price as Toronto. The difference here is the parking enforcement guys are relaxed and chill but FIRM on you getting a paid parking ticket. They -WILL- give you the chance to go buy a parking ticket if you spot them and they see you fishing they'll tell you to go buy a ticket knowing you have collateral left behind to return to pick up. This is totally different then if you where in Toronto where I've heard of the Toronto parking enforcement taking a photo of the car if you're trying to get away to avoid a ticket and you get the ticket in the mail. At least they are fair and give you a chance here to pay the ticket.

Speaking of tickets, if you're going to launch an inflateable boat or motorboat or fishing out on an island/wave breakers and be away from your car I recommend paying the parking fee for however long you plan on being out on the water. The alternative is to have someone guard and move your car. I do not recommend if you are on the wave breakers and try and run back if you see the parking people. The rocks can be slippery and there have been people that have gotten a ticket plus a twisted ankle cherry on the top of that.

The fines here are totally different then Toronto so take note and remember this:

- It is a $50.00 fine if you are parking without a paid parking ticket.

- It is $50 .00 fine if your paid parking ticket expired

Unlike in Toronto where if you have an expired paid parking ticket you get a fine of IIRC $10-15 (I can't remember I rarely go downtown or park downtown Toronto). I have been to thier I think city hall/court house about a ticket before and was offered a reduced fee of I think $25.00.

I have noticed over the many times I've fished in the area the parking enforcement only shows up around 2-3 times a day. If you're there early at the break of dawn you should not encounter any issues. They tend to come around 08:00-09:00 earliest so it seems they are daylight ticketers. Latest I've seen them is around 19:00 so if you've there for the last hour before sun down and want to fish till midnight or a little over midnight I would not expect them to come ticket you at all. Most of the times I see them doing thier ticketing is when most people or families are out and it makes sense if you want to get the most chance to rack up tickets for revenue.

I will note if you're female there is a safe place to fish that is on Marlone Rd (by the former Bonnie Boats) in Jacksons Point. There is a one way in and out which is good to see the parking enforcement coming in but also it is frequented at night by the local paramedics from all the times I've been there just rolling by. The area very safe to be at night.

You are flanked by the marina with people living in thier boats (friendly people) and you are right behind a lot of peoples backyards. This is also a public boat launch and has a mini beach. It also has 3-4 wave breakers which are accessible if you want to walk/swim to them. Only one of the 3-4 wave breakers are walkable to. The one on the far left is approx knee deep in water and a flat path to walk to the wave breaker. This location is one of the most popular for shore fishing which is why I recommend my female friends due to it not being isolated, safe, and a friendly area. There is a chinese resturant in walking distance, Sobeys/NoFrills, Tim Hortons, fishing bait store next to the chinese resturant, pizza joints, bar/pub, and ice cream shop. The No Fills/Sobeys/Timmies are further away.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Malon ... 79.3698739

There is a Ramada hotel for those that want to stay the night next to Bonnie Boats boat launch.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18592 posts
13407 upvotes
Markham
thedealhunter2000 wrote: If you're heading out today and in Toronto the city/town of Georgina is 45-60mins away pending where you are in Toronto (if downtown 60mins, or less if you want to ) is a great place to fish and not too far from Toronto.

There are also some nice beaches as well to enjoy at. The parking fees in this town are $4.00/hr. So IIRC the same price as Toronto. The difference here is the parking enforcement guys are relaxed and chill but FIRM on you getting a paid parking ticket. They -WILL- give you the chance to go buy a parking ticket if you spot them and they see you fishing they'll tell you to go buy a ticket knowing you have collateral left behind to return to pick up. This is totally different then if you where in Toronto where I've heard of the Toronto parking enforcement taking a photo of the car if you're trying to get away to avoid a ticket and you get the ticket in the mail. At least they are fair and give you a chance here to pay the ticket.

Speaking of tickets, if you're going to launch an inflateable boat or motorboat or fishing out on an island/wave breakers and be away from your car I recommend paying the parking fee for however long you plan on being out on the water. The alternative is to have someone guard and move your car. I do not recommend if you are on the wave breakers and try and run back if you see the parking people. The rocks can be slippery and there have been people that have gotten a ticket plus a twisted ankle cherry on the top of that.

The fines here are totally different then Toronto so take note and remember this:

- It is a $50.00 fine if you are parking without a paid parking ticket.

- It is $50 .00 fine if your paid parking ticket expired

Unlike in Toronto where if you have an expired paid parking ticket you get a fine of IIRC $10-15 (I can't remember I rarely go downtown or park downtown Toronto). I have been to thier I think city hall/court house about a ticket before and was offered a reduced fee of I think $25.00.

I have noticed over the many times I've fished in the area the parking enforcement only shows up around 2-3 times a day. If you're there early at the break of dawn you should not encounter any issues. They tend to come around 08:00-09:00 earliest so it seems they are daylight ticketers. Latest I've seen them is around 19:00 so if you've there for the last hour before sun down and want to fish till midnight or a little over midnight I would not expect them to come ticket you at all. Most of the times I see them doing thier ticketing is when most people or families are out and it makes sense if you want to get the most chance to rack up tickets for revenue.

I will note if you're female there is a safe place to fish that is on Marlone Rd (by the former Bonnie Boats) in Jacksons Point. There is a one way in and out which is good to see the parking enforcement coming in but also it is frequented at night by the local paramedics from all the times I've been there just rolling by. The area very safe to be at night.

You are flanked by the marina with people living in thier boats (friendly people) and you are right behind a lot of peoples backyards. This is also a public boat launch and has a mini beach. It also has 3-4 wave breakers which are accessible if you want to walk/swim to them. Only one of the 3-4 wave breakers are walkable to. The one on the far left is approx knee deep in water and a flat path to walk to the wave breaker. This location is one of the most popular for shore fishing which is why I recommend my female friends due to it not being isolated, safe, and a friendly area. There is a chinese resturant in walking distance, Sobeys/NoFrills, Tim Hortons, fishing bait store next to the chinese resturant, pizza joints, bar/pub, and ice cream shop. The No Fills/Sobeys/Timmies are further away.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Malon ... 79.3698739

There is a Ramada hotel for those that want to stay the night next to Bonnie Boats boat launch.
Can't read the signage on that area re. Marlone Rd...I've found that a lot (almost all) of the shore fishing spots are now "NO FISHING ALLOWED". Even if there's no signage, there are times when ppl (including enforcement officiers) will come by and tell you it's no fishing.

Fishing is a past time that's slowly disappearing as more and more "private" ppl put up signs (legally or not) that you can't fish there.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3439 posts
5454 upvotes
GTA North
If you're new to fishing or taking the whole family and friends out and everyone is new to fishing I recommend getting a cheap package of snap barrel swivels at Walmart or any fishing store.

Speaking of Walmart there is one when you get off the Hwy 404. As a matter of fact the highway ends (as of July 2020 if still ends here in case someone reads this in the future) at Woodbine IIRC the road name. There is a Walmart if you go north for 1.5 - 2mins from where the highway ends.

This is what a snap barrel swivel looks like:

They can be found for cheap and come in a package of 8-10. They are all rated for thier breaking strengeths but if you're new to fishing I'd probably stick to a 10-15lb breaking strength snap swivel as you are most likely going to be spool on the fishing reel with 8-10 lb test line most of the time with the cheap fishing rods. Not knocking the cheap, inexpensive, or budget fishing gear as anyone that as fished long enough knows you can catch fish on as little as fishing line + hook + tree branch a la Huckleberry Finn style. Hell I've caught like a 1.5lb baby cat fish with fishing line wrapped around a gatorade bottle with a mini Mr Twister soft bait lure, hook, and a small weight.

So why do I recommend using a snap barrel swivel? Well it makes taking your fishing setup off easily.

1. Use the palmor knot to tie the snap barrel swivel

2. You can make various quick on/off fishing setups with the rest of the snap barrel swivels you have (I recommend buying 2 packs. They are like $1.50) like a

Drop shot rig.

Or you could buy that pre-tied up at Walmart for ~$1.50. It is called a 'Pickeral Rig'. If can be used for bottom fishing or if you add a bobber on the top (not those tiny 5cent coin sized or 25 cent quarter ball sized ones) and a weight on clip on weight at the bottle you can float this rig above the weeds to prevent snag ups.

Or if you want to be a little more spendy get a 'slip bobber' like with the Thrill slip bobbers that are sold at many places. I forgot the price tho....it is about $5 I think or maybe a little less but it comes with a hook and jig IIRC for that $5 price. You just tie the slip bobber on with thier pre-tied slip on knot to save you from needing to tie a slip bobber knot.

https://www.lurenet.com/thill-slip-bobber-rig

Also good to save this slip bobber knot image on your phone if you end up having to snip off the pre-tied knots if you messed it up.

You can use those those WD40 straws to pre-tie slip on bobber stop knots or anothe place to get those for well free is T&T in thier coconut area they have a bunch of them. Take one straw and you can do like 6-7 pre made knots.
Last edited by thedealhunter2000 on Jul 19th, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3439 posts
5454 upvotes
GTA North
gr8dlr wrote: Can't read the signage on that area re. Marlone Rd...I've found that a lot (almost all) of the shore fishing spots are now "NO FISHING ALLOWED". Even if there's no signage, there are times when ppl (including enforcement officiers) will come by and tell you it's no fishing.

Fishing is a past time that's slowly disappearing as more and more "private" ppl put up signs (legally or not) that you can't fish there.
I've been to Marlone Wharf many times. AFAIK it is still allowing fishing. I was there IIRC last year. I should note to everyone if you plan on launching an inflateable boat and want to fish inside the marina, you can't do that. I know, because I did launch an inflateable a few years ago and wanted protection from the waves when speed boats zipping by making waves and the live in residences on he boats quickly let me know that. However, you can cast into the marina if you are fishing.

If anyone is walking to the left wave wave breaker at the end of that breaker about something like 6 ft from end there the water just drops about 10 ft down.
Aug 18, 2009
428 posts
200 upvotes
Barrie
Please, please for anyone new taking up fishing or even experienced anglers make sure to take the time to clean up anything you bring with you. Other people leaving trash behind is one of the biggest frustrations of any bank angler. Don't be lazy, respect the environment, take with you what you came with and enjoy your time fishing.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1130 posts
370 upvotes
I'm guessing round goby's taste bad which is why you didn't suggest harvesting/eating them?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18592 posts
13407 upvotes
Markham
DrDoomsday wrote: I'm guessing round goby's taste bad which is why you didn't suggest harvesting/eating them?
Goby here are too small from what I've seen. In Vietnam they eat them and considered good food.

From what I know, ppl tell you not to release Goby fish as they are not native and are causing havoc in our lakes.

Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1334 posts
41 upvotes
OP is encouraging and awesome. I've been fishing on and off and learned alot in this thread already.

Thumbs Up SignThumbs Up SignThumbs Up Sign

MODS: Don't lock just move it to the appropriate sub forum as free fishing has come to an end. This thread is very educational for all those who are interested in fishing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3439 posts
5454 upvotes
GTA North
Hybrid88 wrote: OP is encouraging and awesome. I've been fishing on and off and learned alot in this thread already.

Thumbs Up SignThumbs Up SignThumbs Up Sign

MODS: Don't lock just move it to the appropriate sub forum as free fishing has come to an end. This thread is very educational for all those who are interested in fishing.

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing as this is a reoccurring thing each year to keep the thread open and active throughout the rest of the year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3439 posts
5454 upvotes
GTA North
If anyone is going out night fishing I recommend bringing a pair of safety glasses. Not just for night fishing but good ot have at all time as well. If you're new to fishing that means you're new to learning how to cast a line as well. For some folks it will take a few tries to get the feel of things andgain thier confidence to cast well. For others it may take a little bit longer but no worries, everyone learns at thier own pace.

The reasoning for safety glasses is well no one wants to get hooked in the eye from a bad cast. This is why I always hang back for a couple minutes watching people cast before going to setup my rod. The other reason is at night if you have a headlamp on bugs will become attracted to your lighting and may fly into your eyes. That and at night if there is a bad line cast you may not see it unlike during the daytime.

A few other things I should note is if you're using hooks you are legally allowed up to 4 hooks on your line. What that means is if you have a fishing lure with a treble hook that has 3 hooks on it then you are allowed one more hook use on your fishing line. Or you could tie 4 hooks to a single line so you could say add different bait to each hook to give a mix of fishing baits to up your chances of a bite. I'll focus mainly on shore fishing here as it is the most accessible to everyone and the rules are clear. 1 rod, max 4 hooks per person fishing.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/rules-using-fishing-tackle

Rules for hooks and lines

These regulations apply across the province:

you can attach up to 4 hooks to your fishing line
you can use only 1 line

Certain exceptions exist, depending on where and how you are fishing.
Great Lakes

You can use 2 lines when fishing from a boat in the Great Lakes, however exceptions and restrictions apply.

Another thing to note is if you are fishing it is important to take care of your skin as well because as I understand it the UV rays can double when out on the water. So make sure you use sunscreen/block and make sure you're reapplying every 80mins if you're swimming or heavy sweating or every 2hrs. Alternatively , wear SPF long sleeve shirts and pants or stay in the shaded areas. Sometimes you can stay in the shade but some places you just can't have a sun shelter ie. on the wave breakers at Marlone Wharf as you don't have anything to anchor down on as you're on the rocks. Now if you're in the parking lot or the mini beach area you could put a sun shelter and if on the beach peg it down.

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18592 posts
13407 upvotes
Markham
thedealhunter2000 wrote: If anyone is going out night fishing I recommend bringing a pair of safety glasses. Not just for night fishing but good ot have at all time as well. If you're new to fishing that means you're new to learning how to cast a line as well. For some folks it will take a few tries to get the feel of things andgain thier confidence to cast well. For others it may take a little bit longer but no worries, everyone learns at thier own pace.

The reasoning for safety glasses is well no one wants to get hooked in the eye from a bad cast. This is why I always hang back for a couple minutes watching people cast before going to setup my rod. The other reason is at night if you have a headlamp on bugs will become attracted to your lighting and may fly into your eyes. That and at night if there is a bad line cast you may not see it unlike during the daytime.

A few other things I should note is if you're using hooks you are legally allowed up to 4 hooks on your line. What that means is if you have a fishing lure with a treble hook that has 3 hooks on it then you are allowed one more hook use on your fishing line. Or you could tie 4 hooks to a single line so you could say add different bait to each hook to give a mix of fishing baits to up your chances of a bite. I'll focus mainly on shore fishing here as it is the most accessible to everyone and the rules are clear. 1 rod, max 4 hooks per person fishing.

Another thing to note is if you are fishing it is important to take care of your skin as well because as I understand it the UV rays can double when out on the water. So make sure you use sunscreen/block and make sure you're reapplying every 80mins if you're swimming or heavy sweating or every 2hrs. Alternatively , wear SPF long sleeve shirts and pants or stay in the shaded areas. Sometimes you can stay in the shade but some places you just can't have a sun shelter ie. on the wave breakers at Marlone Wharf as you don't have anything to anchor down on as you're on the rocks. Now if you're in the parking lot or the mini beach area you could put a sun shelter and if on the beach peg it down.

You missed one thing....I really think ppl should consider wearing a life vest especially if you are a non swimmer.

A chair might also help.

Apr 6, 2013
310 posts
482 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote:

A treble hook only counts as one hook. If it counted as 3 many lures would be illegal unless you cut off or swap out the hooks. You can have up to 4 treble hooks on your line.

Definitions
Hook
a single-pointed or multiple-pointed hook on the same shaft