Automotive

Ontario licence plate sticker renewal: What is my insurance company, the "Insurer" or "Agency"?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2018 5:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16887 posts
3809 upvotes
Toronto

Ontario licence plate sticker renewal: What is my insurance company, the "Insurer" or "Agency"?

For the insurance company entry on the online renewal option, do I choose my insurer or my agency on the pink slip?

My "Insurer" is Primmum Insurance Company
My "Agency" is TD Insurance Direct Agency

Is TD here just considered the broker? The reason I ask is that both companies are listed as valid insurers on Service Ontario's website.
12 replies
Mar 19, 2015
264 posts
248 upvotes
North York, ON
You don’t want to put your broker, you want to put your insurer.

In this case, Primmum is a direct writer.

The reason you don’t want to put a brokerage is because you can switch from insurer to insurer but still be with the same brokerage. The information you need to put down is your insurance carrier’s information, not the agency that markets you to an insurer.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16887 posts
3809 upvotes
Toronto
OK, I'll use Primmum.

Howver, I am curious why TD Direct is listed as an insurer then.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24676 posts
4952 upvotes
It doesn't matter what you put in there. You can honestly just use whatever company there is in there just make up the policy# and it still works. I do that all the time as I'm too lazy to go and get the thing from the car to put in the accurate info--I do at least put in the right company but then just some random letters and numbers and off you go. Unless something changed in the last year, the website (and the earlier kiosks, and even the people in the Service Ontario offices) have no actual way of checking this against a real or existing policy, it's just there to make sure you have insurance, which you obviously need to have when driving unless you're an idiot.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1686 posts
985 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 6:21 am
It doesn't matter what you put in there. You can honestly just use whatever company there is in there just make up the policy# and it still works. I do that all the time as I'm too lazy to go and get the thing from the car to put in the accurate info--I do at least put in the right company but then just some random letters and numbers and off you go. Unless something changed in the last year, the website (and the earlier kiosks, and even the people in the Service Ontario offices) have no actual way of checking this against a real or existing policy, it's just there to make sure you have insurance, which you obviously need to have when driving unless you're an idiot.
Quoted for posterity. This is one reason the police will not issue a warning ticket or bother to call from their car to verify insurance when a driver cannot produce proof. They will instead issue the actual violation of no insurance as that will insure the violator will come to court to produce valid insurance at the very least.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8295 posts
1088 upvotes
Ontario
you put the Insurer not the agent TD

EugW wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 11:02 pm
For the insurance company entry on the online renewal option, do I choose my insurer or my agency on the pink slip?

My "Insurer" is Primmum Insurance Company
My "Agency" is TD Insurance Direct Agency

Is TD here just considered the broker? The reason I ask is that both companies are listed as valid insurers on Service Ontario's website.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Jan 19, 2007
900 posts
401 upvotes
Torontario
TD does not own auto-insurance business directly - they are the broker. It says it on the pink slip if not mistaken.
RBC used to be one of the few to be both until they sold 2016 to Aviva

That being said, on the sticker renewal site of MTO you simply won't be able to find their name in the auto-suggestion box
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16887 posts
3809 upvotes
Toronto
ohnabatko wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:41 am
TD does not own auto-insurance business directly - they are the broker. It says it on the pink slip if not mistaken.
RBC used to be one of the few to be both until they sold 2016 to Aviva

That being said, on the sticker renewal site of MTO you simply won't be able to find their name in the auto-suggestion box
As mentioned earlier, both TD Direct and Primmum are listed on the sticker renewal site as insurers, which is why I asked the question.

However, eldiablo’s post explained it. They are sister companies, owned by the same parent company. Furthermore, when you call TD Direct, they state that all their policies are through Primmum. They don’t use anyone else.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
772 upvotes
Oshawa
The Insurer is the COMPANY providing the insurance.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Apr 20, 2009
333 posts
90 upvotes
Many large insurance market their products under one brand name, but the "underwriter" may be a different company. The "underwriter" is the company that collects your premium, issues the policy and is responsible for paying out the claim.

Companies may have several different underwriting companies for a variety of reasons. It could be something that happened over time via acquisitions, or it was something that was advantageous from a legal or tax perspective to setup different companies. However, there is really no major impact to consumers.

Other examples, include Desjardins Insurance. You policy has a Desjardins logo on it, but the insurer is technically Certas Direct, except in Quebec. RBC still issues policies with an RBC logo, but the insurer is actually Aviva.