Automotive

Ontario - License and plate sticker renewal notifications?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2018 10:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2456 posts
330 upvotes

Ontario - License and plate sticker renewal notifications?

I know my driver's license and plates are due for renewal soon in the next few months I read on the Service Ontario website that I can renew 180 days beforehand, but I haven't received any letters. Are they still doing letters or have the stopped doing this? I remember in the old days they would send you a letter, but I haven't received anything yet.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4144 posts
1653 upvotes
Mississauga
Get my notices in the mail a couple of months before the due date.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
770 upvotes
Oshawa
e-man wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 1:01 am
I know my driver's license and plates are due for renewal soon in the next few months I read on the Service Ontario website that I can renew 180 days beforehand, but I haven't received any letters. Are they still doing letters or have the stopped doing this? I remember in the old days they would send you a letter, but I haven't received anything yet.
What's the worry???? Just wait for a little longer. If you still haven't received anything when it approaches 30 days, then go into a Service Ontario location.

It's not a big deal.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2292 posts
625 upvotes
Why do you need to wait for a letter before you renew your stickers? If you know they need to be renewed and they (seem to) cause you stress, then be proactive and renew them now. Since you (seem to) have plenty of time, just order them online. If you need to get emissions done, then go do your test and then renew them. The test is free now as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
770 upvotes
Oshawa
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 12:54 pm
Why do you need to wait for a letter before you renew your stickers? If you know they need to be renewed and they (seem to) cause you stress, then be proactive and renew them now. Since you (seem to) have plenty of time, just order them online. If you need to get emissions done, then go do your test and then renew them. The test is free now as well.
His license needs to be renewed ... photo is required. But still .... why worry months ahead? It's a non-issue.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2292 posts
625 upvotes
Oh, bad reading on my part. I missed the actual license part. But my original response still stands, except that he will have to go in for a photo and renewal. He can just get it done and over with so that he doesn’t have to worry anymore.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1384 posts
389 upvotes
Markham
e-man wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 1:01 am
AV-Fishing wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 6:53 pm
His license needs to be renewed ... photo is required. But still .... why worry months ahead? It's a non-issue.
non-issue indeed
But you don't have to wait for the letter or bring the letter for that matter to renew your license. just head over to the service Ontario now to do it if you want :)
Jun 20, 2015
502 posts
124 upvotes
Place
My gf just received her renewal notice couple weeks ago. Her renewal date is this June.
Good luck!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2456 posts
330 upvotes
The reason is that I got burned last time. I didn't realize my plates were coming due. A few weeks before my plates are due, I get a letter saying that I was one of the few people whom they accidentally forgot to send a renewal notice for and to instead take the letter in for the renewal. Okay, so I wait 30 minutes in line. Person behind the desk says that I have to go get a emissions test. So I have to get the damn emissions test then get back in line for another 30 minutes. So yeah, I'd like to know if I'm getting a letter or not. But if I don't need the letter, then I'll get it done without the letter.
Last edited by e-man on Apr 17th, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Nov 26, 2014
206 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto, ON
e-man wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 9:56 am
The reason is that I got burned last time. I didn't realize my plates were coming due. A few weeks before my plates are due, I get a letter saying that I was one of the few people whom they accidentally forgot to send me a renewal notice for and to instead take the letter in for the renewal. Okay, so I wait 30 minutes in line. Person behind the desk says that I have to go get a emissions test. So I have to get the damn emissions test then get back in line for another 30 minutes. So yeah, I'd like to know if I'm getting a letter or not.
Here, you can use this link for knowing if you need an etest.. http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/file ... v_when.asp
Last edited by jerbhu on Apr 17th, 2018 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28374 posts
14172 upvotes
Ottawa
e-man wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 9:56 am
The reason is that I got burned last time. I didn't realize my plates were coming due. A few weeks before my plates are due, I get a letter saying that I was one of the few people whom they accidentally forgot to send a renewal notice for and to instead take the letter in for the renewal. Okay, so I wait 30 minutes in line. Person behind the desk says that I have to go get a emissions test. So I have to get the damn emissions test then get back in line for another 30 minutes. So yeah, I'd like to know if I'm getting a letter or not.
Are you a new vehicle owner?
First and foremost you should know when the sticker expires (it's right there on the rear license plate).
For e-test, I'll give you a break; but a quick search online would confirm whether or not you're due for one.