Automotive

Ontario: Are license stickers still considered valid until further notice?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2021 8:35 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6334 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Ontario: Are license stickers still considered valid until further notice?

to fellow ontario drivers: My sticker has been expired over a year now but I haven't renewed because it was considered valid until further notice per the Ontario website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/extended-validation-periods

I understand that whenever I renew I will have to pay back balances, but I'd rather not give the government their fees unless absolutely necessary so just wondering if there has been any updates on this one yet where it becomes a ticketable offense?
--
I like detailing cars!
Thread Summary
Now have until February 28, 2022 to renew licence plate stickers.

Ontario Reinstating Renewal Requirements for Driver’s Licences, Licence Plate Stickers and Health Cards

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1000 ... alth-cards
28 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16396 posts
21468 upvotes
Toronto
m4gician wrote: to fellow ontario drivers: My sticker has been expired over a year now but I haven't renewed because it was considered valid until further notice per the Ontario website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/extended-validation-periods

I understand that whenever I renew I will have to pay back balances, but I'd rather not give the government their fees unless absolutely necessary so just wondering if there has been any updates on this one yet where it becomes a ticketable offense?
Check the thread 'Anybody renewing their Ontario license plate stickers?' for updates
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31909 posts
18914 upvotes
Toronto
what kinds of rate of return on the 'heldback" $ 240 amount you have invested ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
booblehead wrote: what kinds of rate of return on the 'heldback" $ 240 amount you have invested ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 20, 2009
9161 posts
4508 upvotes
m4gician wrote: to fellow ontario drivers: My sticker has been expired over a year now but I haven't renewed because it was considered valid until further notice per the Ontario website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/extended-validation-periods

It's necessary already. It's just a question of when you will pay it. I recommend paying it now because no one knows when it will be enforced again and getting pulled over for it is annoying.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4682 posts
2095 upvotes
Durham Region
Still valid but strongly recommend renewing, especially if you may drive out of province at any point.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16983 posts
14588 upvotes
GTA, ON
Just renew online. Easy peazy. Why wait? Like you already noted, you'll have to pay it eventually, and why go through the hassle in case you are pulled over.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19286 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
I would say so, December 2019.
Images
  • 20210819_175011.jpg
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7860 posts
4658 upvotes
West GTEH!

Pay now or pay later. Eventually Bubba Ford will get your Sticker Fees.
Personally, I wouldn't let it accumulate too high. It'll hurt more later.
I've renewed Annually. I still drive to work 3 times/week. And it's less painful paying the Annual $120 fee.
😎
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
17001 posts
6877 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Surprised it was @m4gician that made this thread
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3321 posts
900 upvotes
Ancaster
chimaican wrote: Just renew online. Easy peazy. Why wait? Like you already noted, you'll have to pay it eventually, and why go through the hassle in case you are pulled over.
+1.....I just renewed online literally three days ago for both of our vehicles and got the val tags in the mail yesterday. Service Ontario has got their automation very much improved.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1082 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
Renew it and move on. You don't want to give them excuse to pull over and give you unrelated ticket.
Last edited by Inclemental on Aug 27th, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8434 posts
5312 upvotes
Mississauga
nielboy wrote: +1.....I just renewed online literally three days ago for both of our vehicles and got the val tags in the mail yesterday. Service Ontario has got their automation very much improved.
Same, I didn't wait for the renewal reminder (which never came in any event). This year it took about six business days from ordering to receiving them. I think that's pretty good.
Aug 18, 2011
982 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
I don't mind renewing but the website says it's not required if you didn't get a notice(mine expires this month) but will they bill you an extra year next year or time it's required?
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16396 posts
21468 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: Same, I didn't wait for the renewal reminder (which never came in any event). This year it took about six business days from ordering to receiving them. I think that's pretty good.
"Due to the temporary expiry date extensions for several driver, vehicle and other products that are currently in place, the Ontario government has paused sending out renewal notices until further notice. Once expiry extensions are lifted, the government will resume sending out notices for those who sign up, with some exceptions."

from https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1000 ... -documents
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16396 posts
21468 upvotes
Toronto
Babbelfish wrote: I don't mind renewing but the website says it's not required if you didn't get a notice(mine expires this month) but will they bill you an extra year next year or time it's required?
Pay it when you renew.

from https://www.ontario.ca/page/extended-validation-periods

Fees to renew licence plate stickers

If you did not renew your licence plate sticker(s) during the temporary extension period put in place due to COVID-19 and you choose to renew at this time, you will be required to pay the renewal fee for that period and your next renewal period.

For example, if your licence plate sticker expired on March 15, 2020, and you decided to renew it on April 15, 2021, you will have to:

• pay for your sticker to cover the time from March 16, 2020, to March 15, 2021
  • pay for the future one or two year period, which will begin on March 16, 2021

Licence plate stickers that expired on or after March 1, 2020, are considered valid until further notice.
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16983 posts
14588 upvotes
GTA, ON
I still don't see the point on waiting. You know you're gonna have to pay it anyways.

I don't wanna see a future thread titled "Help: my renewal stickers set me back $480"
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1020 posts
328 upvotes
Mississauga
chimaican wrote: I still don't see the point on waiting. You know you're gonna have to pay it anyways.

I don't wanna see a future thread titled "Help: my renewal stickers set me back $480"
I think if one knows that their car wont last more then a year then worth prolonging as much as possible.