Automotive

Ontario: Are license stickers still considered valid until further notice?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2021 8:35 am
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1463 posts
135 upvotes
djjungly wrote: I think if one knows that their car wont last more then a year then worth prolonging as much as possible.
As long as you're holding onto the plate the clock will keep running (until registration change).
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.
Penalty Box
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22937 upvotes
Toronto
m4gician wrote: to fellow ontario drivers: My sticker has been expired over a year now but I haven't renewed because it was considered valid until further notice per the Ontario website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/extended-validation-periods

I understand that whenever I renew I will have to pay back balances, but I'd rather not give the government their fees unless absolutely necessary so just wondering if there has been any updates on this one yet where it becomes a ticketable offense?
Now have until February 28, 2022 to renew licence plate stickers.

Ontario Reinstating Renewal Requirements for Driver’s Licences, Licence Plate Stickers and Health Cards

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1000 ... alth-cards
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6702 posts
6309 upvotes
Babbelfish wrote: I don't mind renewing but the website says it's not required if you didn't get a notice(mine expires this month) but will they bill you an extra year next year or time it's required?
Same...TBH I forgot all about it because I usually get a notice in the mail that prompts me. If we can renew online, I wonder why they're not notifying us. I rather pay up now rather than it accumulate.
Penalty Box
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22937 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: Same...TBH I forgot all about it because I usually get a notice in the mail that prompts me. If we can renew online, I wonder why they're not notifying us. I rather pay up now rather than it accumulate.
Ontario government paused sending out renewal notices due to the extensions.

"In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, expiry dates were extended on many products offered through ServiceOntario on March 18, 2020, including licence plate stickers, driver’s licences, health cards, and Ontario Photo Cards. As a result, the government has paused sending courtesy email and paper renewal reminders."

from https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1000 ... -documents
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Same...TBH I forgot all about it because I usually get a notice in the mail that prompts me. If we can renew online, I wonder why they're not notifying us. I rather pay up now rather than it accumulate.
Just go online, pay up now.

The usual restriction that you can't renew online after it expires has been lifted, you can just go online and renew any time, apparently.

Previously if it was even one day after expiry (typically your birthday), your ability to order your sticker online was prohibited--you were then forced to go into an MTO office to renew. It seems they have dropped this due to covid.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1740 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Yup. Ontario has done away with them. Optional bow.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6338 posts
979 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'll renew online in January.

If I'm not going to get a ticket until February 2022, then I can pay at the absolute last minute.
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7569 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
Here is my opinion, you had 1.5 years to put off renewing your sticker, the need to get it done does not go away it still needs to get done, do u want to get it done NOW when time allows, or wait till the deadline like everyone else and have to stand in very long lineups, the mto lineups are already long to begin with so remember that. procrastinating does not pay off it just means more work later in life
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)