Home & Garden

Ontario Lockdown: Lowe’s, Rona, Home Depot Curbside Pickup

  • Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 1:09 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 9, 2014
165 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Ontario Lockdown: Lowe’s, Rona, Home Depot Curbside Pickup

My experience with the 2 Home Depot’s in East and North Markham was ok, orders ready to be picked up in about 2 hours max. on weekdays and end of day on the Weekend. Had 1 freak ready to be picked up in 30 min.

In ordered a couple of items from Rona Scarborough Midland and McNichol, took 2 days for the order to be ready. Tried another order at Lowe’s Scarborough Steeles and Markham, 2 days as well. This wait is kinda painful for normal plumbing supply items.

All items are stocked items in the stores.

This my experience consistent between the Blue and Orange stores in Ontario?
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1568 posts
1120 upvotes
Brampton
I find Lowe's is terrible HD and Rona are OK.
Member
May 15, 2017
240 posts
264 upvotes
I called two separate Home Depot's in the area and both said my order would be filled in approximately 3-4 days (said there were over 1000 orders to be filled). After hearing that, I decided to go with a smaller independent store and my order was ready as soon as I hung up the phone. Now I specifically go to the smaller stores during the lockdown because they can use my business more than the stores with 1000s of orders lined up.
Member
Jun 23, 2019
419 posts
256 upvotes
turtler wrote: I called two separate Home Depot's in the area and both said my order would be filled in approximately 3-4 days (said there were over 1000 orders to be filled). After hearing that, I decided to go with a smaller independent store and my order was ready as soon as I hung up the phone. Now I specifically go to the smaller stores during the lockdown because they can use my business more than the stores with 1000s of orders lined up.
I agree. I ordered some LED lights and door stoppers from Home Depot, waited 3 days for it to ship since I heard horror stories about curbside pickup (3-5 day wait). After not shipping for 3 days I canceled the order and ordered online from AmreSupply. 30 mins later I get a phone call from AmreSupply saying the order is ready for pickup!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
5986 posts
3540 upvotes
Ottawa
Lowes is awful. HD is okay. Cdn Tire is better. Home Hardware rocks.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I had fast pickups from HD and CT. Lowes was horrendous, Home hardware also took a long time in line.

Lowe's asked me to "make an appointment" for a time to pickup then I got there and it made no difference... waited in line for an hour then they couldn't find my order, had to wait 15 minutes longer for them to locate it.
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 9, 2014
165 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I’m not a normal CT shopper, I’ll give them a go next time. Some of the smaller supply shops like AMRE Supply and Wolseley are further away but maybe worth a try too!!
CaptSmethwick wrote: Lowes is awful. HD is okay. Cdn Tire is better. Home Hardware rocks.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1418 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
CaptSmethwick wrote: Lowes is awful. HD is okay. Cdn Tire is better. Home Hardware rocks.
This 100%. I don't even bother with Lowes or HD, and even Canadian tire, although they were a bit better, still don't use them. I use home hardware and other one location places.

Also, one pro tip here, that has helped me out a ton during all this. Is if you are in Ontario, Stephenson's and other tool rental places are allowed to be open. So if you need something in an emergency they have a number of things on the shelf for sale as well. But basically almost that same as HH, can just call or show up and get it asap.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1059 posts
208 upvotes
Oakville
I find Rona to have the best service, and HD a distant second. CDN tire is awful and unorganized - havent used them since last summer though so they might be better.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
5573 posts
1773 upvotes
I waited 1hr 40min at HD in Aurora once, another time it was 1hr. HD has been brutal.

Maple Lowe's I was done in 10min.

Aurora CT about 15-20min.

Elmvale Home Hardware, called in an order, picked it up 20 min later with 1 guy ahead of me in line.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 21, 2003
4768 posts
2107 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I’ve ordered regularly from Home Depot on Centennial Parkway in Stoney Creek over the last year of curbside. They’ve been pretty slow from the start. I don’t believe I’ve ever had an order ready in less than 4 days, with 5 days being the norm. As I am already aware with how slow they are I am always ordering in advance so it hasn’t been an issue for me. I haven’t attempted Lowe’s as every time I have ever ordered at the location near me, pre-COVID times I always found the service atrocious. I usually ended up waiting at customer service for more time than it would have taken to get my order myself off the shelves. So I haven’t even tried a single order with them. I will only shop there when I do not need to interact with their employees at all. I have used the local Home Hardwares quite a bit even though I rarely shopped with them before COVID. I find they are great. I can’t place an order online but I call in with an item number and then head over right away which is about a 3 minute drive.

I am on the fence about using Home Depot after my last experience though. On Friday I went to pick up a small order of 3 items. I was there for 60 minutes on the dot. I had to engage employee twice to get it dealt with and the first one just never came back. I am disappointed in myself for actually waiting it out. I have a call with a store manager today to discuss the incident.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15146 posts
11634 upvotes
Tarrana
kopokipi wrote: I find Lowe's is terrible HD and Rona are OK.
Took Lowe’s like 5 days for a bag of concrete. I went to HD and it was ready later that day.
Member
Oct 25, 2017
241 posts
242 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: I’ve ordered regularly from Home Depot on Centennial Parkway in Stoney Creek over the last year of curbside. They’ve been pretty slow from the start. I don’t believe I’ve ever had an order ready in less than 4 days, with 5 days being the norm. As I am already aware with how slow they are I am always ordering in advance so it hasn’t been an issue for me. I haven’t attempted Lowe’s as every time I have ever ordered at the location near me, pre-COVID times I always found the service atrocious. I usually ended up waiting at customer service for more time than it would have taken to get my order myself off the shelves. So I haven’t even tried a single order with them. I will only shop there when I do not need to interact with their employees at all. I have used the local Home Hardwares quite a bit even though I rarely shopped with them before COVID. I find they are great. I can’t place an order online but I call in with an item number and then head over right away which is about a 3 minute drive.

I am on the fence about using Home Depot after my last experience though. On Friday I went to pick up a small order of 3 items. I was there for 60 minutes on the dot. I had to engage employee twice to get it dealt with and the first one just never came back. I am disappointed in myself for actually waiting it out. I have a call with a store manager today to discuss the incident.
If the one in Hamilton on Barton is your closest... don’t bother, it’s a disaster. Took about 45 minutes on a Tuesday evening, and unlike most other curbside that get you to park up in a numbered bay, they had us all lined up out front of the store, idling, crawling along, idling. It feels like most places I’ve experienced have adapted reasonably well to curbside process, seems like Lowes isn’t one of them.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 25, 2004
1089 posts
540 upvotes
Longueuil
There is no lockdown in Québec in my area (stores are opened) so it might be different but I very often do in-store pickups at Rona (because their online inventory tracking is terrible, it will say there is stock while there isn't any) and usually it is ready for pickup in 2 hours or less.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Newbie
Jul 17, 2006
61 posts
14 upvotes
The Lowes and HDs around here take at least a day for everything. I've had some orders take 3 days.

The local Home Hardwares usually have my order ready by the time I drive there.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 21, 2003
4768 posts
2107 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
chris416yyz wrote: If the one in Hamilton on Barton is your closest... don’t bother, it’s a disaster. Took about 45 minutes on a Tuesday evening, and unlike most other curbside that get you to park up in a numbered bay, they had us all lined up out front of the store, idling, crawling along, idling. It feels like most places I’ve experienced have adapted reasonably well to curbside process, seems like Lowes isn’t one of them.
That’s the one. I’m not surprised it’s awful. As I mentioned I’ve only had bad service there during normal times.

This far in to the pandemic isn’t pretty pathetic for companies of the size to not have adapted for this stuff.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1418 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
ChicoQuente wrote: I am on the fence about using Home Depot after my last experience though. On Friday I went to pick up a small order of 3 items. I was there for 60 minutes on the dot. I had to engage employee twice to get it dealt with and the first one just never came back. I am disappointed in myself for actually waiting it out. I have a call with a store manager today to discuss the incident.
I had a long wait a couple times, mine were only like 30 mins I want to say, but then that was it for me. I basically haven't bought something from Lowes or HD this year.
ChicoQuente wrote: This far in to the pandemic isn’t pretty pathetic for companies of the size to not have adapted for this stuff.
I cannot really say enough bad things about HD/Lowes, etc and how they handle curbside and orders now. Its just pathetic.

I think they just don't care at this point. They know homeowners, etc are going to come to them, and sure, they can waste an hour of their time for no reason. Somehow with their amazing tech, and all these fancy systems, it still takes them 3 days to get an order ready, and then I have to wait 30-45 mins in parking spot to get it brought to me.

All the other places I go to have adapted far better and have much less tech setup from the getgo. Most places I go to, I can call in my order and pick it up in an hour or two with minimal wait time. These places I shop also probably move more stock per employee than HD by a long shot.

Lastly, I cannot express how annoyed I was one day, I had ordered 5 things, 3 of which I really needed, I waited basically 2 days for it to be ready, I showed up, waited 30 mins for them to bring it out, the guy brings out 3 of my 5 things, and says welp, sorry, we were OOS of the other two things. Zero communication, they said they had tons in stock, and those were the things I needed. So basically I waited 2 days, drove there, waited 30 mins, drove back, and then just had to place an order elsewhere.

And people are wondering why there are covid premiums on projects.....

Anyways, that's enough ranting for now.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 21, 2003
4768 posts
2107 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: I had a long wait a couple times, mine were only like 30 mins I want to say, but then that was it for me. I basically haven't bought something from Lowes or HD this year.
I’m glad that kind of wait hasn’t been the norm for me. Even at 30 minutes I feel that’s pushing what’s reasonable. They have a large staff for these stores so I can’t understand how they can’t keep the curbside moving quickly.

In my case my anger was because I could tell I slipped through the cracks of their system. I watched dozens upon dozens of cars all around me arrive after me and leave before me. If the whole system had been bogged down and everyone was having the same experience that day I would have been upset but more understanding. The fact I knew for certain I was the only person being left behind really upset me. It was just a really bad experience. I completely agree they could be doing so much better.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1759 posts
843 upvotes
GTA
Martyji wrote: My experience with the 2 Home Depot’s in East and North Markham was ok, orders ready to be picked up in about 2 hours max. on weekdays and end of day on the Weekend. Had 1 freak ready to be picked up in 30 min.

In ordered a couple of items from Rona Scarborough Midland and McNichol, took 2 days for the order to be ready. Tried another order at Lowe’s Scarborough Steeles and Markham, 2 days as well. This wait is kinda painful for normal plumbing supply items.

All items are stocked items in the stores.

This my experience consistent between the Blue and Orange stores in Ontario?
The Rona you're referring to "was" horrible before (pre-covid) where there was nobody in sight when you wanted help. If you were just running in an grabbing something it was great, but not if you have a question about something. Strangely, since Covid started, the last time I was in there before the most recent lockdown, there were actually a LOT of staff around and they were actually proactive in asking if I needed help. I was literally surprised when someone asked me if I got what I needed!!!

The Lowes at Steeles/Markham IS quite slow with their curbside pickup but maybe it was just because I hit a good time and there were only a few others there at the time, but I had to call them and asked if there was an update to my curbside order, even though it showed that they had hundreds of what I needed in stock. Took two days for them to process the order so I could finally pickup, but they only had two people bringing out the online orders.

The HD at Warden/Ellesmere is much busier during this lockdown but they had at leave 4-5 people working the curbside pickup lines, but there were normally about 10-15 cars in the pickup areas. I had to wait about 40 minutes to pickup stuff they had in stock as well, even after I got the pickup confirmation.
Member
Jan 11, 2007
489 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
Home Depot in Richmond Hill: placed order Monday morning for 1 small item and 7 hours later got notified that it was ready. Went there and waited 30 minutes at curbside pick up to receive my item.

Same day, called a Home Hardware in Toronto to place an order for pickup (the items not available online but in-store only). Was told they aren't taking phone orders but to just come to front of store and tell them the items I want. Went there and saw a few customers out front with 3 staff taking orders. Got my 3 items and was on my way in 5 min! Love these smaller stores. They may not have everything like a big box store but I found this one friendly and efficient.

Top