Expired Hot Deals

(Ontario only) free installation with your own vdsl modem 25m $35 and 50m $40

Apr 24, 2010
533 posts
170 upvotes
Canada
The changes are:

1 Billing cycle is 30 days.
2 Refund before cancellation will be credited to billing balance, refund after cancellation will be refunded back to the credit card, instead of cheque.
3 Cash reward can not be cashed out, will be credited to billing balance.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1804 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
mooomoose wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 8:45 pm
My quick skim noticed that warranty on modems is now 1 year and no longer "lifetime". However, the banner page on their site is still advertising it as lifetime warranty on modems!
Tp-link 9970 modem has 2 years from manufacturer. Maybe tp-link changed and carrytel changed after?
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Mar 23, 2004
6 posts
1 upvote
Terrace
Amowagou wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 8:48 pm
The changes are:

1 Billing cycle is 30 days.
2 Refund before cancellation will be credited to billing balance, refund after cancellation will be refunded back to the credit card, instead of cheque.
3 Cash reward can not be cashed out, will be credited to billing balance.
Almost! You missed when they determine when a promotion ends.
Any promotion or offering involving a cash reward will be credited into customer's billing balance, is to be deducted for future charge and cannot be used otherwise. All the unused reward balance will be null on the cancellation date. This reward balance cannot be cashed out in any form during any time in service.

Carry Telecom has the rights to determine whether the promotion will be end. (Example: promotion price cannot be applied for customer moving to another location or changing into a new plan, etc.)

Carry Telecom Services are charged by the billing cycle of every 30 calendar days.

Any refund provided by Carry Telecom will be credited into customer's billing balance, to be deducted for future charge and cannot be used otherwise. This refund balance cannot be cashed out in any form during any time in service.

All the credit balance applicable will be refunded back to the credit/debit visa/prepaid visa card that the customer paid from. No other form(e-transfer/PayPal/cheque) is applicable.

Last Updated: December 4, 2016.
This diff was done on a google cache copy dated August 30 2016
Oct 28, 2015
105 posts
53 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
mooomoose wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 8:45 pm
My quick skim noticed that warranty on modems is now 1 year and no longer "lifetime". However, the banner page on their site is still advertising it as lifetime warranty on modems!
So does the modem have lifetime warranty or just 1 year? One of the reasons I chose to purchase the modem from CarryTel is their lifetime warranty... otherwise I may not purchase it because I already have smartRg!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1804 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
tourmaline wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 1:04 am
So does the modem have lifetime warranty or just 1 year? One of the reasons I chose to purchase the modem from CarryTel is their lifetime warranty... otherwise I may not purchase it because I already have smartRg!
Nobody notice their modem was changed to Techicolor 588v2 recently? It's one if the modem someone showed in this thread before. And that's maybe the reason they changed warranty period to one year now.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8482 posts
1631 upvotes
London
xtriawke wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 1:44 am
I'm wondering why there is no thread summary, so many pages to read. I've read that there are referrals, is that true? How much is the referral discount? Also is it best to go through xxxxx or is there a better retailer?
Don't be lazy. You should at least read all of OP's 1st post especially those lines highlighted in red. All your answers are there.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1130 posts
309 upvotes
So after 8 days without internet with Acanac I finally have internet again! Yes you read that right 8 days!! The line was installed incorrectly. Not Acanac's fault but going through a 3rd party and semi incompetent support took longer to resolve the issue.

For some reason I cannot get DSL with Carrytel as my address does not show up in their system as being available. They can only provide me with cable which is weird since I am currently with a 3rd party DSL provider. . I would switch if I could. The dude on the phone seemed really cool.

The horror stories with Bell are TRUE!!! During my down time I called Bell several times with interest of switching over just to get the issue resolved quicker. Every single time I inquired about DSL I was being upsold the Fibe TV package. I just wanted to know how soon it could be installed. The woman on the line said she needed to setup a profile with personal information inorder to see when it could be installed (not true, I called before and they never asked me that) and then BOOM I get an email with a confirmation number. She actually placed the order for internet, five tv and home phone without my consent! I then had to jump through hoops just to cancel something I didn't even want in the first place. I was offered the option of delaying the installation so I had more time to think about it as well as multiple movie channels for free for two months but of course that's how they get you. Once your free credits expire your monthly bill doubles. That left a sour taste in my mouth.

Currently getting 8.74Mbps d/l and 0.63Mbps u/l with Acanac. Not too shabby for $29. Their 25Mb package is $49 which is $10 more expensive that Carrytel which is still not too shabby and at least it's not Bell. Only thing left is for the CRTC to allow 3rd party providers access to Fiber to home and we are set.
Nov 29, 2003
329 posts
65 upvotes
North York
beneran89 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 8:13 pm
I think so as well, especially the way it's worded and mentions the 1.5tb bandwidth.
b. According to our internet statistics, 99.6% of our customers has an usage of less than 1500GB per month. Therefore, in such cases, we MAY OR MAY NOT apply certain limitations to your internet speed during peak hours, from 8pm to 11pm.
That is a really funny T&C item. It's also ridiculously vague. There's no conditions on when limitations are actually applied, just a statement of usage facts followed by an open-ended policy of adjusting people's speeds during peak times.

So is it those using 1500GB that get capped? Maybe everyone? Doesn't matter, they reserve the right!
Oct 6, 2005
350 posts
108 upvotes
Montreal
Hi guys,

I want to install this CarryTel Internet, but I have two questions maybe some one can help:
1. Before I install the CarryTel, should I cancel current Bell internet? My address is NOT an apartment, but I only have one line.
2. After I install CarryTel internet, if I cancel bell phone service (using dry loop), should I pay extra fee?

Thanks for your help.
Oct 6, 2005
350 posts
108 upvotes
Montreal
wildhuman wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 4:21 pm
Hi guys,

I want to install this CarryTel Internet, but I have two questions maybe some one can help:
1. Before I install the CarryTel, should I cancel current Bell internet? My address is NOT an apartment, but I only have one line.
2. After I install CarryTel internet, if I cancel bell phone service (using dry loop), should I pay extra fee?

Thanks for your help.
OK just got answer from CarryTel. Yes I have to cancel Bell phone service or Bell Internet; otherwise they can't provide CarryTel Internet. I prefer to cancel bell phone firstly but my home alarm has to be cancelled or add extra money. WHAT A MESS.
Nov 4, 2004
108 posts
64 upvotes
eman747 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 6:52 pm
The Bell Technician came and installed the phone jack on Saturday. He showed me the profile as 53 down 11up. However, the modem is still stuck at Canada Post. When I get the modem, do I just plugged it in as it is setup by carrytel already or do I need to set it up myself I will test it out first before turning into bridge mode and cancelling my cable internet from Vmedia.
I got it for two days now, the internet is stable. The speed is good also but I was not able to get the full 53/11 but when I plugged in directly through Ethernet port, I got 50/10 which is what they promised. I was trying to use bridge mode last night but was unsuccessful with my old dd-wrt router. Now I run two networks one internally and one with the carrytel router. I called to cancel my Vmedia and a refund was provided. $39.99 per month on this is a good price and hard to beat.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1804 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
wildhuman wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 4:43 pm
OK just got answer from CarryTel. Yes I have to cancel Bell phone service or Bell Internet; otherwise they can't provide CarryTel Internet. I prefer to cancel bell phone firstly but my home alarm has to be cancelled or add extra money. WHAT A MESS.
I use freephone line + Grandstream HT502 and it works great with my alarm company (ADT). Also I tried the Fido home phone (gsm based) and it works fine too. I went with Freephoneline way since no monthly cost. I tried FPL + Obi200 device and it works just fine too. Search RFD if you want know more obi200 and Freephoneline . There are thousands of posts.

You can make the alarm system work first and switch internet after.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8482 posts
1631 upvotes
London
eman747 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 4:46 pm
I got it for two days now, the internet is stable. The speed is good also but I was not able to get the full 53/11 but when I plugged in directly through Ethernet port, I got 50/10 which is what they promised. I was trying to use bridge mode last night but was unsuccessful with my old dd-wrt router. Now I run two networks one internally and one with the carrytel router. I called to cancel my Vmedia and a refund was provided. $39.99 per month on this is a good price and hard to beat.
Since I don't know what modem you have, set the modem to VDSL bridge mode as per instructions. Set DDwrt to login using PPPOE and enter your username/password. Not sure if this is the case for DDWRT, my WRT1900AC with Kong's DDWRT will take like 2-3 minutes before it will log on to carrytel while if I use Openwrt (LEDE) it logon almost instantly. Worth a try again to wait for 2-3 minutes.
Dec 2, 2003
719 posts
60 upvotes
Scarborough
Been using Carrytel for 1.5 weeks now.
Went through modem outlet.
Everything went flawless: Ordering, Modem pick-up, tech arriving and making sure internet worked and was the correct 50/10 speed ordered.
No down time, no hiccups.
I had to buy the TP-LINK modem/router.

The only thing I would change is the TP-LINK modem/router.
I'd recommend buying a router and bridge the modem because the reach is not good and seems to have issues with my Apple devices if I'm only 20 feet away on the otherside of a corridor.

So far internet has been way better than Bell 25M.
No lag when I stream movies/tv shows at 1080p.

Will be recommending this company to friends & family.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4289 posts
1210 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 4:51 pm
I use freephone line + Grandstream HT502 and it works great with my alarm company (ADT). Also I tried the Fido home phone (gsm based) and it works fine too. I went with Freephoneline way since no monthly cost. I tried FPL + Obi200 device and it works just fine too. Search RFD if you want know more obi200 and Freephoneline . There are thousands of posts.

You can make the alarm system work first and switch internet after.
I thought ADT did not accept VOIP lines

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)