Parenting & Family

Ontario parents will get another $200 payout to help with education costs

[OP]
Newbie
Feb 24, 2018
81 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto

Ontario parents will get another $200 payout to help with education costs

Link to apply

Parents of children aged 12 and younger will be able to receive a one-time payment of $200 per child, and $250 for a child 21 or younger with special needs.
110 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 3, 2005
4258 posts
573 upvotes
Georgetown
I wonder if you need to reapply or if you get it automatically if you applied before?
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 24, 2018
81 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Tiberius wrote: I wonder if you need to reapply or if you get it automatically if you applied before?
You need to reapply.
This time there are 3 options to receive payment:
- e-transfer (fastest)
- direct deposit
- check (longest)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
4021 posts
1918 upvotes
Toronto
Has nothing to do with education though, it's simply $200 for any kid regardless if they're in school or not. A 1-month old newborn will also qualify for the $200.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11643 posts
3949 upvotes
Toronto
rob444 wrote: Has nothing to do with education though, it's simply $200 for any kid regardless if they're in school or not. A 1-month old newborn will also qualify for the $200.
Looks like it.

Simply a bonus $200 for parents
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7023 posts
1367 upvotes
Scarborough
Good. Just applied for my kids.
(Each child has to be applied for separately)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1432 posts
397 upvotes
Is this just them taking the Federal money which was supposed to go to PPE/smaller class-sizes and giving it to parents? I don't understand the reasoning behind this as elementary kids are in school full-time (or at least the majority of them are here in London).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35619 posts
21675 upvotes
Center of Universe
Clacker wrote: Is this just them taking the Federal money which was supposed to go to PPE/smaller class-sizes and giving it to parents? I don't understand the reasoning behind this as elementary kids are in school full-time (or at least the majority of them are here in London).
This payment doesn't make any sense.
I'm a parent and it's not costing me more during the pandemic to send my kids to school, as I'm WFH and don't require daycare.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2001
1067 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
rob444 wrote: Has nothing to do with education though, it's simply $200 for any kid regardless if they're in school or not. A 1-month old newborn will also qualify for the $200.
why do they call it an education fund? i almost wasn't going to apply because of that. but the kid falls within the 0-21. is there somewhere i can send the information to familiy members? they seem to think it's only for school kids.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
4021 posts
1918 upvotes
Toronto
ranjeet2000 wrote: why do they call it an education fund? i almost wasn't going to apply because of that. but the kid falls within the 0-21. is there somewhere i can send the information to familiy members? they seem to think it's only for school kids.
This one is aged 0 - 12 only (over 12 only for special need kids).

No idea why they link it to education or child care, as it has nothing to do with either. It's solely support for parents who have young kids, and nothing more.
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2011
987 posts
515 upvotes
Midland
another $1200 each child under 6 for middle and low class...

Ill take anyones kids whose complaining under 6 at this point
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1399 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto
There are also many school boards with children opting to do virtual online classes. Their parents would have had to purchase some sort of laptop/chromebook/computer so I guess this helps with that kind of things....
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4825 posts
1441 upvotes
0 downvotes
why are you guys complaining about free money? TAKE it, And when the next provincial election happens, they will remind you which government party gave you money to help influence your vote
Hi
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2009
2106 posts
1012 upvotes
Montreal
when the government give you money, take it and Go.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
25464 posts
4606 upvotes
williamsauga wrote: when the government give you money, take it and Go.
I will take it, but it makes no sense. I don't need it. Both me and my wife are receiving normal wages. My kid is in school full time. I'm not making less money nor spending extra due to COVID. Those families who are hurting, $200 wouldn't even come close to helping them out.

I wish governments would stop pissing money away for once.

Top