2282 upvotes
Markham

[Ontario Parks] Learn to Camp experience - Ontario Parks $99-$149

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Ontario Parks
More offers from Ontario Parks

Thought I'd post that Ontario Parks runs a LEARN TO CAMP experience event in the summer time for those who've never been and might like to try and see what it's like. It's a cheap thing to do with family and or friends....group of 6. One night is $99 plus HST and two nights is $149 plus HST. They even have bus service to some of the parks on select weekends for those vehicle challenged.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/learntocamp/overnight

There aren't a ton of openings anymore but there are some if you act fast.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/learntocamp/upcoming
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 25th, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
37 replies
Jan 24, 2015
308 posts
152 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
is it possible to have a group of 1? Disappointed But Relieved Face
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7034 posts
2282 upvotes
Markham
redflags10 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:27 am
is it possible to have a group of 1? Disappointed But Relieved Face
I'm guessing yes. Having said that post on here the date of your reservation and I'm sure there's going to be at least one or more people willing to join you. Make sure you specify BYOdF [ bring your own damn food].

Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
11591 posts
21251 upvotes
Scarborough
I didn't know this was a thing. Seems like a good way to try out camping without needing a lot of the necessities for it.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Aug 30, 2008
849 posts
117 upvotes
ON
Yes you can do groups of 1. Unless they changed something, then group of 1 - 6 costs the same. I did it a few years ago (forgot which park LOL) and it was a great experience .. here are some tips for anyone considering.

- if you want toilets/showers then look up the sites with "comfort stations" and bring some flip flops for the shower
- I went with a bunch of people and I'm sure we were given 2 tents so we could spread out
- it's rain OR shine and I went it P O U R E D. of course, the tents leaked. So.. i actually can't remember if they gave us tarps but if you had some already, it wouldn't be bad idea... otherwise, all the other equipment is provided. bring extra clothes/blankets, even though you're camping it can get cold. bring some stuff to do in your tent incase the weather is bad, like card games, etc.
- you have time to cook and all but it's not thatttt much free time either, so don't go overboard with whatever you pack
- choose a site that has 'learn 2 fish' if you wanna squeeze in some fishing too. They give you a lesson on uh...fishing, and will equip you with the rods, bait and a temporary fishing license for the day!

overall, lots of fun, our instructors were really enthusiastic and it's a nice way for people to experience camping if they are unfamiliar with it.

ALSO FOR MORE OPTIONS:

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/serapprocher-connect/ltc-dlc

Parks Canada also has something similar.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2179 posts
898 upvotes
B.C.
Too bad it's all Coleman equipment and all RFD users have to boycott them!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7034 posts
2282 upvotes
Markham
TomRFD wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:33 am
I didn't know this was a thing. Seems like a good way to try out camping without needing a lot of the necessities for it.
Buying all of the Camping gear/needs can add up and if you decide you don't like it you're SOL. This is a great intro without need to LOAD up (and I mean load up) the gear. If the weather cooperates, it can be a lot of fun shooting the ___ and seeing who the pyromaniac is in the group.

Feb 2, 2006
364 posts
110 upvotes
stardustcross wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:46 am
Yes you can do groups of 1. Unless they changed something, then group of 1 - 6 costs the same. I did it a few years ago (forgot which park LOL) and it was a great experience .. here are some tips for anyone considering.

- if you want toilets/showers then look up the sites with "comfort stations" and bring some flip flops for the shower
- I went with a bunch of people and I'm sure we were given 2 tents so we could spread out
- it's rain OR shine and I went it P O U R E D. of course, the tents leaked. So.. i actually can't remember if they gave us tarps but if you had some already, it wouldn't be bad idea... otherwise, all the other equipment is provided. bring extra clothes/blankets, even though you're camping it can get cold. bring some stuff to do in your tent incase the weather is bad, like card games, etc.
- you have time to cook and all but it's not thatttt much free time either, so don't go overboard with whatever you pack
- choose a site that has 'learn 2 fish' if you wanna squeeze in some fishing too. They give you a lesson on uh...fishing, and will equip you with the rods, bait and a temporary fishing license for the day!

overall, lots of fun, our instructors were really enthusiastic and it's a nice way for people to experience camping if they are unfamiliar with it.

ALSO FOR MORE OPTIONS:

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/serapprocher-connect/ltc-dlc

Parks Canada also has something similar.
Good tips. I love camping with my 10x10 foldable gazebo from Walmart for under $100. It's perfect for when it rains and I usually setup the tent right beside it and throw a big tarp over both. Throw in one of these tables from princess auto (https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8419004e) and or a 2x4 foldable table and a couple of chairs and you might not care if it rains all weekend.

Edit: adding a couple pics
Images
  • 20180901_162851.jpg
  • 20180929_131524.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2179 posts
898 upvotes
B.C.
Turge wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:33 pm
Good tips. I love camping with my 10x10 foldable gazebo from Walmart for under $100. It's perfect for when it rains and I usually setup the tent right beside it and throw a big tarp over both. Throw in one of these tables from princess auto (https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8419004e) and or a 2x4 foldable table and a couple of chairs and you might not care if it rains all weekend.

Edit: adding a couple pics
I can't believe PA is selling those tables for $25. They were $20 from Walmart when they carried them.
Feb 2, 2006
364 posts
110 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:49 pm
I can't believe PA is selling those tables for $25. They were $20 from Walmart when they carried them.
They're $36 and up on Amazon so I guess $25 isn't too bad.

They're even cheaper now if you can find some: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ozark-trai ... 0197513022

Based on stocktrack.ca, there are any few at Sheridan and Georgetown.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21640 posts
7536 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:09 pm
Too bad it's all Coleman equipment and all RFD users have to boycott them!
Did I miss a memo?