[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
8547 posts
3362 upvotes
Toronto

Ontario Premier Doug Ford declares state of emergency amid COVID-19 outbreak

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5500006

Ford stressed that the state of emergency does not constitute a "provincial shutdown."

"The vast majority of businesses, including those most vital to day-to-day life, will not be affected by this order," he said.
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
19 replies
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
141 upvotes
perhaps the first time I agree with his decision.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20558 posts
4607 upvotes
Poormond Hill
This should have been done as soon as the first case arrived in Toronto.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3920 posts
3451 upvotes
The NORTH
Daycare shutdown should extend to home day care and not just licensed day care. Mall's should be included in the shutdown as well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5950 posts
2540 upvotes
"As part of the declaration, the province will mandate the closure of restaurants and bars, though those that can offer takeout and delivery can continue selling food items."

The world has just ended.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2462 posts
380 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
kr0zet wrote: Daycare shutdown should extend to home day care and not just licensed day care. Mall's should be included in the shutdown as well.
Yes, let's put more self employed people out of income - for what? They are a couple kids at most at home. These daycare providers aren't taking the kids out on play dates. They are home, either the parents are keeping the kids at home or at the daycare. No difference then a self isolation between two homes. Now if the parents decided to come into contact with someone travelling, or develops symptoms, then just don't bring the kids to daycare. It's not as complicated as a large daycare centre. Those have revolving doors of people, of course they are going to need to be shut down.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2462 posts
380 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
badOne wrote: "As part of the declaration, the province will mandate the closure of restaurants and bars, though those that can offer takeout and delivery can continue selling food items."

The world has just ended.
Skip the dishes stock is going to go right up.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3920 posts
3451 upvotes
The NORTH
cyphon21 wrote: Yes, let's put more self employed people out of income - for what? They are a couple kids at most at home. These daycare providers aren't taking the kids out on play dates. They are home, either the parents are keeping the kids at home or at the daycare. No difference then a self isolation between two homes. Now if the parents decided to come into contact with someone travelling, or develops symptoms, then just don't bring the kids to daycare. It's not as complicated as a large daycare centre. Those have revolving doors of people, of course they are going to need to be shut down.
Its called social distancing, or perhaps social responsibility.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2462 posts
380 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
kr0zet wrote: Its called social distancing, or perhaps social responsibility.
We are past the social responsibility point. Case and point of all of these baby boomers coming back, and not self isolating themselves. We are beyond it. So get off that point.

As I mentioned in the other thread. Daycare (home based) is not as a big threat and are helping supply a service to parents who need their kids to go SOMEWHERE while they work. It's not like the kids are being dropped off at a centre where anyone can come visit. My wife operated a private daycare, and while she shut down - I commend those who haven't. She was fortunate that her parents still support her financially or else we would be behind on our bills, and subsequently not able to supply food and items for their kids upon return. She isn't going anywhere outside the home, and if one of her daycare kids did come into our home, the parents have all agreed they have no gone anywhere themselves or been in contact with someone who could be high risk. Essentially she created a safe place if the parents need to bring their children.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3920 posts
3451 upvotes
The NORTH
cyphon21 wrote: We are past the social responsibility point. Case and point of all of these baby boomers coming back, and not self isolating themselves. We are beyond it. So get off that point.

As I mentioned in the other thread. Daycare (home based) is not as a big threat and are helping supply a service to parents who need their kids to go SOMEWHERE while they work. It's not like the kids are being dropped off at a centre where anyone can come visit. My wife operated a private daycare, and while she shut down - I commend those who haven't. She was fortunate that her parents still support her financially or else we would be behind on our bills, and subsequently not able to supply food and items for their kids upon return. She isn't going anywhere outside the home, and if one of her daycare kids did come into our home, the parents have all agreed they have no gone anywhere themselves or been in contact with someone who could be high risk. Essentially she created a safe place if the parents need to bring their children.
I'm shocked, shocked I say that you opinion is coloured by the fact your wife runs a private daycare....
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2462 posts
380 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
kr0zet wrote: I'm shocked, shocked I say that you opinion is coloured by the fact your wife runs a private daycare....
Well I had to call that out. Can't expect me to know information about the daycare business, and not be connected to someone who does. It's common sense.

At the beginning of this. I told her to close up. But as I thought about it more and more, there are services that can be sustained and open while this is all going on. They need to put measures in place. If she ran a daycare that had new kids, different people each day then yeah, close that up. But she has the same 3 kids, and same parent dropping off and picking up. It makes no sense when those families in her case are self isolating at home and the only travel they are doing are between our place and theirs. So she keeps her business going and making income, and they get the service they need. It's a win win.

Am I saying ALL daycares at home fit this? No.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1360 posts
980 upvotes
GTA West
Watching these press conferences, I am reminded what a mistake the Conservatives made in not choosing Christine Elliot over Doug Ford.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
2366 posts
1258 upvotes
Why is the OP regurgitating news from MSN?
Isnt rfd is a deals site?
Images
  • Screenshot_20200317-111021_Chrome.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)